• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

My first art...

I've been meaning to teach myself to draw manga-style for some time now. Now that i have joined SARP, i find that i have things i want to draw. This is my first full-bodied drawing, having previously drawn 5 heads... The line work was done on standard A4 paper, then scanned in at 600dpi...

I know the chest, hands and feet need work - adapting to 4 nail-less fingered/toed hands/feet is a challenge. The colouring is flat because at the moment i have to do all my artwork in Microsoft Windows standard Paint program and i did not want to have to shade each pixel by hand...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially if it can help me improve

~ iain

Not too bad for your first attempt. Though it obviously needs work, you got the proportions surprisingly accurate.
I'd work a bit more on the face though. Get it lined up properly, and make it more expressive.

This looks pretty good. I have an alternative program to paint that I recommend you try sometime though, it's called GIMP. It's a lot like photoshop (but free). Give it a try and see if you like it. All in all, this looks pretty good.

One other recommendation:

You should keep your file that you plan to modify in a lossless format (I like PNG, GIF only has 256 colors). Everytime you edit a JPG file it loses some color information. PNG files are kinda big though.

Thanks for the advice!

I can go back and rescan the original as a PNG and re-start from there.

Thanks again!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…