• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

My'leke (PC Faction Species)

Kyle

Insane Story Writer Foxy
Inactive Member
Originally when I created the My'leke, they were going to be a race that was going to be NPC and could be used by other GM's on this board for their plots. However, because they garnered some attention on DA (DevientArt) and a few other sites, I decided that instead make them a playable race. After all, SARP has no four legged races to play as! And not all sentient life have two legs (The Mishhu for example)

Anywho, the Rite of Honour, although linked, is 'not' up for approval in this submission. I'm still trying to improve upon it and will put 'that' up when I go to have the main faction page approved.

Only the species is up for approval.

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=species:myleke

There are probably things I could better explain, so if so, please let me know.

And yes, the My'leke were submitted once before, but that was when I had them as NPCs - this is to make them a PC race.

Also, I still plan on getting more artwork for the My'leke, but right now I lack the funds.

I actually like this idea Kyle. I think this is very unique to the setting and does add some more flavor too it. Players will have options when selecting a race.

I know this is kind of harsh, but I don't think this race should be a PC race.

1. The Kitsune race seems to be the dominant race between these two, and they remain unapproved. They, at the least, should get approved first.

2. They have no space-faring technology whatsoever. This sounds way too much like the Kohanians to be considered a safe bet for the site.

3. I know this potentially is a "cart before the horse," but there should be a plot proposal for this race before approval. That's my feeling, at least (I'm not formally a tech mod). Reason being: a plot for this race would not so easily fit into the wider metaplot we have for the site, i.e. intergalactic war and politics.

1. I didn't put the Kitsune up because I'm still working them out a bit, plus they lack artwork.

2. The My'leke and Kitsune both share technology, so they 'do' in fact have space-faring technology, I just haven't submitted those for approval because all I'm after right now is just to get the species themselves submitted before working on the technology and the faction page itself.

3. I'm not sure what you are referring to, given how this is purely to get the species approved so I can work on the faction page more thoroughly and get that approved later on. Any plots I have planned will come once everythings been approved. :?

To support Kyle(and I will) Making a race is a lot of work. I figure allowing him to have an "under construction" marker is fair considering he still has to make additional articles on both races any way(not just their over all race article, but stuff like biology, psychology...etc) He still needs technology, a CCG, a system wiki. I mean there is a lot of things that need to be done, but I think Kyle is planning on doing all of that(Or I hope he is)

Pending review and further construction.

Kyle, it's going to take a bit longer, but I highly recommend fleshing out the Kitsune and the faction page with some basic technology. If you want a review now(ish) I can get to it, but it might be better if you get the foundation ready first so you can change things with the species/faction if you need to before approval. This'll make it so you know you have it 'just right' before you make any commitments.

Technology links are on the tech page, I just haven't added anything but the factions power source. I guess I can go about adding propusion, and a ship or two along with some other tech.

Plus it'll give me time to get a few other pages up for the species themselves. Problem is that this is quite a challenge, given that this is a faction that has two very different species.

Oooh. Interesting! Non-humanoids ftw! How they look like Earth-born tigers is beyond me, though. I like the concept as long as they have some sort of spacefaring ability; like Doshii mentioned, the race will otherwise run extinct due to lack of activity from players.

This pretty much happened to the Azoreans and the Kohanians. Hopefully it won't happen to your race as well. It would be interesting to see if your race would be the least developed species of the setting. Like, far worse than the Gartagens. I always thought something like 'spacepunk' would be pretty cool, with old school astronaut suits with some attachments to them, while the ships themselves are pretty much crap compared to other factions.

It would be cool to see how they survive and adapt to outer space warfare and other such things with what limited space technology they have. ...I'm sorry, I'm rambling. >_> Still, think about that idea as you go along.

Hey there Sent

The My'leke and Kitsune share technology, they always have as the main faction history shows. Because of the very huge differences between the psychological structure of the Kitsune and My'leke though, their technology is more stream-lined and specified. Whatever weapons are made the Kitsune, a version of said weapon must be made to be handled by a My'leke. My'leke don't have hands, but they do have a prehensile tail which means that they can grab stuff.

For the My'leke, weapons are in the form of weapon modules that can be affixed to their backs. Unlike the Kitsune, who can just hold them. Every weapon has a secondary version of it for the My'leke.

In short, space-faring technology exists for both, and the Kitsune have already made it possible for the My'leke to operate starships just as easily as a Kitsune can. Much like how I stated that weapons are built in two versions, starships themselves have various components that allows a My'leke to operate the ship. Some components I am considering, is allowing the My'leke to undergo cybernetic augmentation, which was originally the idea behind them was to be a race of cybernetic beingings but I had dropped that idea in lue of something else.

Edit:

After talking with Nash, I decided to drop the cybernetics idea.

Do the Kitsune absolutely need to be named after the japanese (Yamataian) word for 'Fox'? The My'leke certainly don't seem to have the species' name stemming from japanese - why not the same with the other species? It would feel more consistent to me.

Removed Cybernetics, was talking with Nash on IRC and he presented me with a few ideas that worked out better.

As for the name Fred. Well, given that they are Foxes that's the name I came up with. The My'leke are an offshot of a fabricated species called the Lipors, you'd have to talk to my sister about that.

However, if you'd like, I have no problems figuring out a name for the species that doesn't use Kitsune. Though one of the reasons I guess I used is because there is some japanese influence on this side =p but that might be because I play Yamatai pretty much exclusively :lol:

But yea, if you'd like to change that I can go head and do that

I'll admit to being biased. I've been fiddling for a long time with a shuttle design that was a refit of KFY's T4 Fox shuttle, which I've been calling "Kitsune" because Yamataians ought to use japanese-sounding names for their stuff. It was supposed to be out around the time Doshii Jun's new plot made its debut.

I essentially don't mind you having the name as long as when my own thing comes out, I don't get handslapped about it being called the same as something else (which is my primary personal motivator here). Wouldn't be the first time I had the figurative rug pulled from under me.

Despite personal bias toward the issue, I do believe it's more healthy not to have the race named by a distinctively japanese word if they aren't related to humans and are meant to be truly alien. You'd pull off something in that regard that I don't feel has been done as well with the Lorath (whom are supposedly purely alien with no links to humans, but have a slew of very-terran looking animals with very-terran names).

For the sake of the effort you've put and the originality of your creation, I sincerely think it's a better idea to avoid japanese and go for a made up word you'll like the ring of. I would probably say that even if I did not feel an investment in the name you chose.

And even if you did choose to stick to your guns and keep the japanese... Kitsune still just means 'fox'. 'Neko' may be used as a diminutive for the Nekovalkyrja race, but the latter still have the dignity of having a more elaborate name than a simple animal classification. Of the top of my head, supposing they did have human japanese roots I might have chosen "Fox People" (Kitsune-Jin, roughly?) and then decided that with time that might've become bastardized to a shorter "Ki'jin" or some other variant.

Kitsune is the best way for me to describe what they generally look like, which is one of the reasons I went with it, for the My'leke I was able to create a name for them because I had artwork to lean on and help describe them as.

I do have reference images to use, but I don't want to use them on this site because I can't get ahold of the owners (given that they come from an anime image site)

And besides Fred, I don't see why anyone would slap ya upside the head for using Kitsune. I certainly wouldn't

I do have plans on changing their name, so no worries there, I just want ot get at least some artwork for them first before doing so.

Another update:

Added a color chart for the apperance tab on suggestion from Aendri.

Unless anyone has objections, I intend to approve this submission in 3 days.

I'm reiterating what Fred said. I really think Kitsune should at least have the name changed to something that doesn't sound distinctly Yamataian, because it doesn't make much sense to call them that, even though they are basically anime-style foxgirls.

Actually he renamed the Kitsune to Shuraken if I am not mistaken.

Kitsune was changed to Shukaren out of respect for Fred quite awhile back.

Ah. My bad. xD

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…