• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

NAM Medtech - Emergency Cryrofreezer

Fian

NAM Medtech - Emergency Cryrofreezer ( MEC )

In its earliest incarnation, this device was used by Xenobiologists to collect and freeze small live speciments on the spot for easier transportation to the labs. But one day one of the scientists was accidentally stung by an errant captive, with the poison spreading and no antivenom, the rest of the science team quickly cut off his head and froze it within the jar. The poor man's disembodied head was held in stasis in this state untill the serum was created, and his body regenerated anew.

Fast forward to the future, NAM needed something to increase the survival rate of its soldiers. Because Neplesia has lagged behind many races in genetic and technological superiority, the only thing that can be counted on is the superior experience of Nep soldiers who had grown up in conflict zones ( ie: The typical Nepleslian neibourhood ). While broken machinery or clones can be replaced easily, dead veterans cannot.

The Emergency Cyrofreezer is a two foot tall, one foot wide cylinder. Basicly it is a scaled down Cryropod, a poor man's ST, but with the emphasis on freezing as fast as possible with the lowest cellular damage. But however to accomodate this some drawbacks have to exist. Firstly this device has only enough space and resources to freeze one head, secondly the procedure to do this can be traumatic.

For example the victim is shot and he has a gaping hole where his lung was. The medic in attendance has to attach a modified NAM Medtech - Constriction Band around his neck to choke off blood and to inject an anti-freeze and a local anesthetic into his bloodstream. After that he would have to saw off the victim's neck below the band with a sharp blade quickly. Then the poor guys head has to be dunked into the Cryofreezer into subzero liquid nitrogen and flashfrozen. For safety it then self-seals and cannot be reopened without the proper tools found in decent medbays ( Or mechanic shop ). So in summary the victim is Shot> Strangled> Drugged> Beheaded> Drowned> Frozen> Sealed.

But the good news is, assuming he survives the bumpy ride home in a box, his body can be fully organically regenerated ( Unless there were previous arrangements for a mechanical body ) . Thanks to this human soldiers can learn from their '"fatal" mistakes and perform even better when they return to the frontlines... untill their luck runs out and they return in a diffent container alltogether : a Coffin.

5000 KS.

The data above talks about the general principle of this technology and the use of the MEC Type-A . However two more variants exist.

MEC Type-B

Sligthly larger than the Type-A at 2.5ft x 1.2ft . This is due to the automation of the tasks that is required to be done by a trained user as required by the Type-A. Instead now all that needs to be done is to fit the Type-B over the target's head like a hood, and the device grids the head properly, scans it for specifications, injects the anti-freeze, attaches the Constriction Band, shears the neck off, self-freezes and self-seals.

7500 KS, more expensive by half due to the extra parts and compaction.

MEC Type-C

Again, similar to the Type-B. But this one is for fitting into starships and power armors. This one assumes that the user fits his head in himself, as the Type-C will be hardpointed as opposed to being portable. The case which stores the head is now longer lasting and fully armored to withstand the vigours of space. In the case of an imminent distruction of the ship, the Type-C activates the transponder on the case and ejects it into space to safety, pending later retrieval by salvage crews.

MEC Type-Cb

Similar to the Type-C, but it excloses the victim before activation. Flings out both lifeless body and preserved head into outers space. Reopens again for the next victim (Aka Reusable). Mounted on capital ships.

Price varies according to ship specs.

Nepleslians usually solve problems via mechanics and chemistry rather than biology. I would recommend having the freezer inject anti-freeze into the head as soon as it is inserted. If and when the subject is revived, he'll need to be injected an antidote for the inevitable anti-freeze poisoning. :p

Also, Nepleslians dislike having their bodies "regenerated". Using biological solutions make them seem like Yamatai-loving pansies. No. Real red-blooded Nepleslians opt for full body cybernetics. :D Of course, don't give them the best models. After all, death in battle shouldn't be rewarded.

Also, make it more expensive. If you go with my idea of having the freezer inject anti-freeze into the head, that's a lot more tricky moving parts. Also see my comment about defense contractors in the Jane thread. :)

I would recommend having the freezer inject anti-freeze into the head as soon as it is inserted

Gee thanks a lot, you have no idea much trouble that saved me.

Also, Nepleslians dislike having their bodies "regenerated". Using biological solutions make them seem like Yamatai-loving pansies.

Thanks again, I have not been that active in RPing so I miss out these details >.> . I guess that what he wants to be reincanated in is the victim's (predetermined) choice, I remember Wes writing somewhere that Regenration is cheap, so lets say that in respect to basic humanitarian law that should we receive a head, it would be organically regenerated by default. Unless the victim has made previous arrangements for mechanical argumentations for a full metal body. Hey hey hey, I smell an idea for insurance company~!

Also, make it more expensive

Yes X_X . I'll set a new higher base price but I think the more experienced guys at NAM should be the final judge of that.

If you go with my idea of having the freezer inject anti-freeze into the head, that's a lot more tricky moving parts

My original idea was for medics to carry this device since they would have more precision in performing the choking, antifreeze application, beheading and storage, not to mention hauling it back at the end of day. But since if this would be used in power armors, figthers or utilized by untrained personell, I guess an automated, higher priced and larger version of this should be in order.

Maybe there's a handy defrost feature?
Nah, the delicate defrosting should be done by/at proper medical facilities instead of the MEC.

Thanks a lot! I really found your comments helpfull.

Note: 'a.l.o.t' is wordfiltered into 'a great deal' . The place where I live in uses this word ... a great deal ... more than ... a great deal ... But since it has already been stipulated at the rules that american english be used, so oh well.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back