Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[NAM] Multiphase Cannon

Sigma

Inactive Member
Submission Type: Military Starship Weapon
Submission URL: Here

Faction: Nepleslia
FM Approved Yet? Yes
This pleases me greatly.
Faction requires art? Que?

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Yes
UMD Canisters page were updated with to reflect the larger calibre of rounds. Those changes have MoonMan's blessing as well.

Contains New art? Yes
Previously Submitted? Nope

Notes:

I do not know what nomenclature to use for weapons that are not intended for a specific ship. Please advise on nomenclature since none of the existing ones fit.

Given the name, I am assuming that the ammo for this weapon can phase right through objects?

Actually no. Phasing technology is completely non-existent in this. The terminology is derived simply from Nepleslia's two existing "Multiphase" weapons, both of which are simply mass drivers.

UMD rounds are simply that. Solid shots meant for use in mass drivers. There is no fancy phasing tech, just a term that is associated, in Nepleslian armories, with mass drivers.

I'm ready to approve this but do think the name is confusing. Any chance we can just call it a kinetic cannon or mass driver or something more in line with its function? Why "multiphase?"

Possibly because the rounds act in "phases." as a hybrid projectile, or upon impact. For example some modern military munitions do more than just riddle a guy or tank with holes. They melt, explode, or fragment as well as riddle the guy or tank with holes. Hybrid rounds utilize chemical propellants in addition to electromagnetic coils to provide the necessary thrust and so could be done in phases.

That is the concept, as was later explained to me by Fian. I tried to work it in with

Munitions discharged in space may be equipped with sabots and fin stabilization units to increase armor penetration and accuracy. This is usually only applied to planetary bombardment ordnance where atmospheric conditions might affect the flight path and effectiveness of the normal UMD round.

Do I need to add more?

It's usually Na-##-W####, where the first ## is the designation of the ship/class it was originally made for. For example a weapon for a Plumeria would be Ke-S3-W####.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back