• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Naming the Worlds of Yamatai

Well this might sound good now but what about in the long run? I know people have frowned upon items and characters being added to the setting that used the names of real people, places or things and names that were lifted from other kinds of media. If you keep going with this you might have people see the map or a list of worlds and sigh as they are disappointed by an apparent lack of creativity despite the user base having all the people they've used the names of for inspiration to make their own distinct setting.

I know we already have acronyms like DATASS and PANT-IES but those weren't necessarily good ideas in the long run and even if they are and create a precedent for naming things whatever you want it can still be argued having a strong precedent for humorously naming things and a strong precedent for naming things after real people isn't a good idea. There may never be one single thing that stands out as being the straw that breaks the camel's back but people may find themselves looking back with regret as they see things getting worse instead of better as a result of creating trends they thought were harmless or didn't realize they were even making.

Writers here have complained things looked too much like Star Trek or something from X other franchise in the past when people were trying to/intended to get them passed in the NTSE. If we want to avoid people blatantly lifting from other media/settings and we want to avoid everything being about subtle or supposedly subtle jokes/references/inside jokes to elsewhere we might want to avoid naming a planet Nemoy as that can be seen as an invitation for that kind of behaviour.

You can say SARP is about fun but I bet many people would say they wouldn't find it fun to be a part of a collaboration of tributes and jokes that they don't get or aren't their style.

Besides, it could always be said these planets are just hanging around with boring systematic names until the next Kotori or whatever appears.
If we want to reference other settings weren't their ones that just had planets forever named a bunch of letters and numbers with no meaning beyond making their location easier to remember or something?

Last edited:
I would have thought the "2015" would have made it clear it was a memorial?
Besides, it only bothers people as much as they allow it to bother them. I've no idea who Monty Oum is, but that doesn't bother me. It just tells me I need to crawl out from under my rock to take a raincheck more often.

...And after the raincheck, I still don't know who Monty Oum is. :p

Last edited:
Oum is the graphics guy who was first made relatively famous a few years back when he made the Haloid short movie, a kinda crossover/fight it out between Samus and Master Chief, and the Dead Fantasy series, which never caught my attention, I'll admit. more recently, he was the guy behind the RWBY series, which has now become the first animation to be dubbed into japanese.

That said, I still think it's not a bad idea to include tribute names like those, though maybe they should be more nicknames than official names. While I don't think there are any real problems with making the tributes to people we respected, there is a certain element of unoriginality to it.

I'm a bit behind. The last I heard of roosterteeth was the RvB of Halo. I'll go take a look at RWBY.

Personally, I think a few tributes here and there are ok, as long as you don't overdo it and turn the whole starmap into a mausoleum. Now that would be creepy.

I'm okay with naming a system Nimoy but I also agree that we there are probably more awesome recently dead people than planets in Star Army and we couldn't do this for every star without having our map look suspiciously like the Walk of Fame. I also wanted to (and still would like to) name something after Vile Rat. We might look to World of Warcraft's tradition of making memorial characters in their games, but altering the names a bit.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back