Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Nepleslian Arms and Munitions

Koenig808

Inactive Member
I have decided to open up NAM products to be sold to the general populace of Nepleslia, to expand to outside sources.

These products will have military-sensitive technology removed and replaced by civilian versions, though small amounts of military tech may be available on the black market.

This will start with firearms, ELEMENT surplus PAs, and transport ships.

This will expand to stripped down current production PA and warships. Sales will be monitored so that total amount of warships sold do not threaten the capabilities of Nepleslian fleets. This is to control the inevitable increase in pirate capabilities.

However, nothing says you can't stick guns on transport ships, as long as you can buy the guns and armor and pay for them to be fitted, either by NAM or another company. Also, denote if said transport ship is unarmed or armed.

Ships can also be sold as just structures so that PCs can outfit them as they see fit. As long as they have the cash, they are good to go.

Furthermore, due to Nepleslia's focus on rapid expansion into unknown territory, the SMDIoN will hire privateers for surveying and bounty work. I will think about even allowing a pirate plotship, as long as it is handled responsibly.

During this process, NAM will open more manufacturing centers to ICly provide employment and to be able to produce material in such bulk, prices remain competitive.

It's my intention that this will afford players the ability to create their own Nepleslian Plotship that is not part of the SMDIoN. Start a weapons development company, surveying company, bounty hunter plot, pirate plot. As long as it does not set the setting on fire, it's all good.

Nepleslia will become hypercapitalist. Behold SARP's Russia.

If you're going to be capitalist, why is the government (NAM) now competing with private industry in the arms market? Shouldn't the government instead dissolve NAM and start buying from private companies?

Because they want to be the only source for great toys...

I wouldn't say the only source, just a major source.

Regarding the issue of NAM competing with private companies, I am thinking about introducing NAM contracting work from private companies, but NAM still develops a majority of Nep equipment

NAM is not going to be dissolved, it's just not exclusively selling to government sources anymore.

There's no significant Nepleslian defense companies because NAM monopolized the equipment of the NSMC/NSN. There's no money for them to exist. So instead Nepleslia's weapon makers have to attempt to sell to civilians. What do you think will happen when NAM becames a "major source" to civilians? Those companies will be harmed. If this was old Nepleslia, the head NAM guy even suggesting this would probably have a fatal encounter with an exploding van, courtesy of the country's many arms manufacturers. There's a reason why Zen Arms (a somewhat respectable company now that was originally started with drug money) was known for not only its products but its hitmen.

National armies have armed themselves for decades without going to the private sector. I mean hell, Ketsurui Zaibatsu is a private company ... that's run by the royal family. Which forms a significant portion of the government just by monopolizing the highest position of government.

It also suggests that this isn't old Nepleslia anymore, which isn't a bad thing. Yamatai also isn't what it used to be. It's still good to know the history.

Most importantly though: DAT HORNET

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back