• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

NepTrucks

First thing that comes to mind on the splash page is, "The art is too bright." I cannot make out some of the details.

This: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=nepleslia:na-k1-p3100 Simply will not work, as it is now.

While the mag-lev like effect IS possible, it is impossible for this to have regenerative Braking (not Breaking) as regenerative braking is based entirely on friction, which this lacks.

Your suspension system is also impossible. If you did manage to get it working right, it would need something much stronger than 'mundane materials' like your article states these as being made out of, as the stress would completely destroy the system

Self sealing rubber is extremely soft, and needs fluid to seal itself. It would just become chewed up by the terrain and fall off, exposing your magnets and destroying the wheels. Also, the morphability of this wheel means it would be extremely inefficient, no matter what the terrain.

The rest of the non-weapon articles seem fine, though.

My suggestion is just go for a more classic type of wheel/suspension system, with regular electric motors in the wheels.

Well being that friction ruins regenerative breaking, liquid magnetic suspensions are used on high end cars now, self-sealing rubber used in WWII fighter planes (and my bike tires) can stand up to 50. cal rounds, and high morph ability wheels are used in off roaders today I think I can effectively say you are entirely wrong.

Well, except the spelling bit, I'll fix that soon. I'm also going to replace the splash page picture with something a bit darker when I finish this post.

Self sealing rubber is used inside fuel tanks, and your bike tires probably use a synthetic gel to seal themselves.

As for the morphability of tires, it's simply a deflated regular tire which flattens slightly to have better grip.

As for your suspension, it's not the liquid magnetics, but they placement of them. The layout of that suspension would not work, as it is. If you hit a bump, that lower shock would snap right off. The upper two are all but useless as they are, as well. and if they spin with the wheel, then they are placed too far apart to be useful.

And you obviously do not know what Regenerative braking is. the concept is that the friction of your brake pads rubbing against your brake discs creates heat which is converted into tiny amounts of energy and fed back into the system.

I have been studying cars for a while now, and I know what I am talking about.

Perhaps I am thinking of a different type of rubber then. I know there is a hard rubber out there that is solid that expands a bit when punctured to 'self seal' I've seen the stuff in action before.

I also don't understand why the suspension wouldn't work. Placed inside of the wheel like they are all three are going to be able to split impact force between themselves. These aren't just single shock absorbers but three shock absorbers connected in such a way to make three triangles (with curved bottoms) which are going to be very stable structures.

Regenerative braking, for an electric car, is quite different. Sense you are putting current into the wheels to spin them you can draw current from them to slow them down. Friction is bad for this process because you generate waste heat with friction from the inertia of the wheels instead of electricity.

Just regular vulcanized rubber will close itself up a bit for smaller punctures, but larger chunks or gashes are going to be messy. I believe you are thinking or runflats; tires with extremely thick sidewalls which are enough to hold the tire up for a while even after a major puncture.

As for your suspension, mixed with the morphability of your tire, it just won't work, even if it is triangles. just think, if your wheel hits a bump bigger than an inch or so, it will get forced inwards on itself, like a pneumatic tire does, except with that lower shock where it is, the the portion of your tire being turned inwards is going to at the very least push sideways on the shock, providing extreme stress, which will quickly result in your shock wearing itself out. At the very most, the wheel will simply snap it off.

Now, if those shocks spin with the wheel, they are simply too far apart to really be effective, at all. you are going to have the wheel transferring between times of no support at all, to suddenly having a lot of support at a single point, which means you will have a very rough ride, coupled with three spots which will wear away very quickly.

I don't think you're trying to have Regenerative braking; what you're saying is that you're simply lessening the amount of energy going to the wheels in order to brake? that's something entirely different from regenerative braking. The reason a Prius gets such good mileage in the City is because you are constantly braking, and the car harvests some of the heat energy created by the friction of your braking. So, your braking system might work, but regenerative braking is the incorrect term.

While not wholy correct Kai, Uso is pretty close to it on the generative braking thing. Regenerative Braking is when you use the electric motor as a generaterator, which provides resistive force onto the drive axle, producing electricity as it does so.

Okay, I will admit I was wrong about regenerative braking; apparently learning this from an old car guy tells me the wrong stuff. Still, even with regenerative braking you are going to need traditional brakes of some kind or your vehicle will not stop, if Vesper's linked article is any indication.

Way to overcomplicate something as simple as a truck.

lolz

I really don't think traditional breaks would be required (unless the computer stops working... that could be bad) after all if additional 'stop' is required the computer could put the system in reverse to get maximum breakage out of the tires and the ground.

As for materials, the more I think about it the more I'm agreeing with you. Perhaps I should ditch rubber altogether and go for steel belted radials? It would be easy enough to replace the material in the submission with a super hard rubber impregnated with steel/Kevlar threads (or whatever they use these days)

My thinking for the shock absorbers is that the wheel is soft enough to deform a bit for traction but rigid enough to spread the force between all three shock absorbers so that while it is getting pushed in at one spot it is being pushed away on the other side, allowing the other shocks to pull inward and help take the load off the lower shock. Perhaps I should add a line about the shock absorbers able to bend a bit to help deal with this?

Steel belted radials would be a good Idea, they would be much stronger and more likely to survive being hit by something. Kevlar is also a good idea. some military trucks do that today, so it's obviously got real world merit.

If you are going to be doing that, It would be better to make the tires somewhat more traditional; having a smaller inner radius for your tire, making it fatter, and perhaps having a way to change the internal pressure of the tire. this will give you all the features you wanted while making a much simpler, sturdier system. that way, you can remove the morphable magnets for cheaper more traditional ones, have smaller shocks, which would actually work in their current configuration if you did give them the ability to bend a bit.

Ok, finally gotten around to making small changes to the wheel. Simplified the description of the motor and suspension to remove the issues. The material that the wheel is made out of has been changed as well.

Edit: added k1d variant.

Edit again: Reworked the K1a page to be more vehicle templatey

Unless there are any objections, I intend to approve this submission on Saturday.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back