Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

[Neshaten] Discovery FTL Probe

Kyle

Insane Story Writer Foxy
Inactive Member
Submission Type: Long-range Probe
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=ne ... very_probe

Faction: Kingdom of Neshaten
FM Approved Yet? Yes

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes:

Before anyone posts a complaint about a probe having an FTL device on it, please note it's dimensions.

Also, was intending on waiting until the other stuff for the faction was approved, but there is a plan to use to use this probe in one of Nash's plots, so here it is up and ready.

This review is for: Discovery FTL Probe

The submitted article is/has…
[X] A very high level of overall quality
[X] A general topic sentence under the title header
[X] Artwork (illustrations are required for Starships, Vehicles, Hand weapons or Small Arms, Uniforms for military forces or large corporations and new alien species not from the race of the day CCG)
[X] Needed and/or useful to the setting
[N/A] In the proper format/template
[X] Proofread for spelling and grammar
[X] Easy to read and understand (not a lengthy mass of technobabble)
[X] Wikified (terms that could be a link should be a link)
[X] No red and/or broken links
[X] Reasonably scientifically plausible
[X] Reasonably neutral point of view

The submitted article is/does not…
[ ] Overpowered (or cutting tech for a faction with little or no roleplay)
[ ] Obtusely redundant
[ ] Contain copy pasta descriptions of systems or interior compartments
[ ] Unauthorized by faction managers or player-controlled corporation
[ ] Contain references to IC events that have not occurred (SM must authorize retcons)
[ ] Use second-person language (“you” or “your”) unless it is an instructional guide aimed at players.
[ ] Use bombastic language (“virtually immune,” “nearly indestructible,” “insanely powerful,” “horrible effects”)
[ ] Use an unbalanced header/text ratio (many headers but sections are one-liners)
[ ] Use major unapproved sub-articles that should be submitted separately
[ ] Lacking Detail
[ ] Images hosted on sites other than stararmy.com (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc are not allowed)

The article has…
[ ] Speeds in compliance with the Starship Speed Standard, if applicable
[ ] Damage Capacity and Damage Ratings in compliance with the DR Guidelines
[ ] The in-character year of creation/manufacture. (Should be current year. Future years not allowed).
[X] The Standard Product Nomenclature System, if applicable.

Summary

- STL/Sublight Speed Unclear
- No DR
- Non YE Date(s)

Notes

It appears there's a typo in the probe's speed section, namely the sublight speed. My guess that it is simply missing a decimal point; please correct or clarify the issue.

The Discovery is also lacking a DR rating - though it is not meant for combat, a DR rating is still needed, if only to help both players and GM's understand how durable it is.

Again, a nonstandard calendar system; if possible, include the equivalent YE as well. However, if the date of creation is before YE01, please note so with a rough estimation of the 'Pre-YE' in parenthesis. An exact conversion is always appreciated, but not necessary.

I intend to finish this review by: 2/20/2012

Though I had said this would be approved after the three issues have been resolved, a fourth has arisen. However, I will judge it as optional in this case; the history section leaves a bit to be desired, and I would like to see it fleshed out a bit more with things such as the development of the probe and ambitions of the creators to add flavor to the submission. Again, this is optional and my fault for not noticing it sooner.

This article is APPROVED, and will be fully so at the previously mentioned date, 2/20/2012. Any concerns or complaints should be brought forward before then.

A note as far as speeds, both the FTL(faster than light) and sublight speed listings are sublight values. FTL by definition is >1c.

Well, keep in mind, the probe is big. Bigger than a fighter, so it will be a bit fast in FTL.

Revised value seems good. I'm curious though how does the probe return data? I didn't pick a sense of that up when I read the article.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back