• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

[Neshaten] Kthon'ya Intra-System Acceleration Gates

Khasidel

🌟 Site Supporter
Inactive Member
Submission Type: In-system Transportation System
Submission URL: Kthon'ya Intra-System Acceleration Gates

Faction: Kingdom of Neshaten
FM Approved Yet? Yes

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Yes
Previously Submitted? No

-Irovat'sya Hyperspace Anomalies

Notes:

Alrighty, something to flesh out the Neshaten -- also, before anyone gets aggro over the fact that the anomalies effectively interdict FTL -- it applies only to the Neshaten fold tech -- Kyle and I are making it so the anomalies preventing hyperspace travel in the Neshaten system only affect the Neshaten themselves. Other races aren't hampered by their presence.

Whilst we'd like the anomalies to affect everyone equally... because it's apparently the case that Wes and the head honcho's on the site are trying to phase out anti-ftl tech and similar phenomenon, we're making it so it applies only to the Neshaten so we don't ruffle anyone's feathers.

REVIEW IN PROCESS, Should be complete NLT 3/4

This review is for: Kthon'ya Intra-System Acceleration Gates

The submitted article is/has…
[x] A very high level of overall quality
[-] A general topic sentence under the title header
[x] Artwork (illustrations are required for Starships, Vehicles, Hand weapons or Small Arms, Uniforms for military forces or large corporations and new alien species not from the race of the day CCG)
[x] Needed and/or useful to the setting
[x] In the proper format/template
[x] Proofread for spelling and grammar
[x] Easy to read and understand (not a lengthy mass of technobabble)
[x] Wikified (terms that could be a link should be a link)
[x] No red and/or broken links
[x] Reasonably scientifically plausible
[x] Reasonably neutral point of view

The submitted article is/does not…
[x] Overpowered (or cutting tech for a faction with little or no roleplay)
[x] Obtusely redundant
[x] Contain copy pasta descriptions of systems or interior compartments
[x] Unauthorized by faction managers or player-controlled corporation
[x] Contain references to IC events that have not occurred (SM must authorize retcons)
[x] Use second-person language (β€œyou” or β€œyour”) unless it is an instructional guide aimed at players.
[x] Use bombastic language (β€œvirtually immune,” β€œnearly indestructible,” β€œinsanely powerful,” β€œhorrible effects”)
[x] Use an unbalanced header/text ratio (many headers but sections are one-liners)
[x] Use major unapproved sub-articles that should be submitted separately
[-] Lacking Detail
[x] Images hosted on sites other than stararmy.com (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc are not allowed)

The article has…
[x] Speeds in compliance with the Starship Speed Standard, if applicable
[x] Damage Capacity and Damage Ratings in compliance with the DR Guidelines
[X] The in-character year of creation/manufacture. (Should be current year. Future years not allowed).
[x] The Standard Product Nomenclature System, if applicable.

Summary
Note here if any serious issues are present. These are the issues that will hold up approval.
Lacking a general topic sentence
Lacking details

Notes
This field is for any extra description needed for the issues stated above or (as the name suggests) and additional notes you wish to state in the record regarding the item.

With regards to the anomalies, the article does not provide any details as to where they are prevalent in the system? Are the paths that a ship could avoid them? etc.

As for the Gates, you are aware that your gates are moving things at speeds great enough for time dilation to occur. A ship using these gates would take 8.93 hours physically, however, for the ship and those within 1.27 hours would take place.

I intend to finish this review by: Complete

As to the location of the anomalies in the system -- due to the fact they are supposed to be mobile and move randomly, mapping their positions would largely be a futile endeavor -- plus as Kyle is the main man in regards to the Nesha systems actual layout, I'd need more information from him to even begin trying to map out anomaly locations. In any case, I imagine that even the largest anomalies wouldn't be more than a few hundred kilometers in size.

Even if they numbered in the thousands and they were all that big, it is still extremely unlikely that a physical collision with a ship would ever occur -- space is simply that big. If an anomaly ever got into a ships flight path, I would assume it would be detectable via one of the available sensors and thus easily navigated around.

It's just that their presence prevents FTL travel for the Neshaten within local space, and as a group their effects combine to prevent FTL travel throughout the entire Nesha system out to a distance of some 50-60 AU from the star -- about the outer reaches of the Nesha systems equivalent of the Kuiper belt I imagine.

-------------

I forgot about the time dilation -- when I have the time tomorrow I'll determine the exact percentage of the speed of light the gates accelerate ships too as well as their resulting level of time dilation. Time dilation is a bit more variable than what you've stated. Even a miniscule change of 0.99c to 0.999c can radically alter the amount of time experienced on a ship compared to what is experienced externally. Though of course, realistically this would also increase the amount of energy required to accelerate the ship to that speed by an exponential amount -- though that would be mitigated somewhat by the whole mass negation part of the gate tech.

ie.
At .99c, 1 Second on a ship = 7.08881 seconds externally.
At .999c, 1 Second on a ship = 22.36627 seconds externally.
At .9999c, 1 Second on a ship = 70.71245 seconds externally,
and so on...

The values you gave would be for moving at roughly 0.989c.

One could conceivable make the journey almost instantaneous from the travelers viewpoint by increasingly the percentage even higher.

Traveling at 0.9999999996c, 1 sec aboard ship would translate to nearly 10 hours externally to it. Of course, that is probably ridiculously overkill.

I'll also add a general topic sentence to the front of the article as well. Once It's all done, I'll reply to this thread again.

The speed listed is .75c that's enough for some dilation, but not a huge amount. However, it would pretty much make conventional radio useless. Doppler shifting would render the radio in frequency ranges that would not really be viable. So perhaps we only mention the slight dilation, and that conventional communications is not possible while in transit.

This appears to violate the starship speed standards.

Might want to lower it Khas, probably bring it down to at least .150c or .225c

I disagree, because its only use is to get the ships out beyond the anomalies. Something that other ships would just use the FTL or CDD and scream out.

@ Nash: I think you might have misread the article -- the only speed presently listed there is .99c in the very last paragraph (forgot I wrote that). The other speed is the one for the gate stations own personal movement through space in order to keep position around planets and maintain its alignment with its paired gate. And that's listed as 0.075c not 0.75.

Though yes, going all the way up to .99c or higher isn't really required. 0.75c would probably be a good, reasonable speed as well. I'll give it some thought, and when I make the modifications to the article after work I'll add in what you've mentioned about sub-light comms not being effective whilst moving through the gate.

@ Wes: Technically speaking the ship isn't moving under its own power, but is being moved by an external force, and as Nash mentioned its only real use is for travel in the outer reaches of the Nesha system. Also, the ships traveling through the gates are essentially ballistic and can only really move in a straight line safely, which would allow any hostile ships to easily predict them and pick them off.

The existing speed limitation would mainly be to prevent everyone arguing whose faster during space combat, through this tech absolutely cannot be used in such a scenario. A Neshaten's ships weapons would effectively be useless at those speeds and due to time dilation... and their close-range sensors would probably be affected as well. Not to mention they couldn't maneuver or risk missing the receiving gate and being flung off at near-light speed into the far off reaches of space.

The only possible military application I could see these gates as having is as over-sized mass drivers -- one could potentially use them to lob asteroids at planets during a siege. Though I doubt that would be in the Neshaten's character. Maybe a terrorist Nesh faction could take over a gate and try to use it in such a fashion against other Nesh.

-----

Though ... It also occurs to me that another good use for these gates would be to redirect asteroids and kuipier belt objects for mining or icy comets into a planets atmosphere for terraforming purposes -- though moving them at slower speeds would probably be wise.

There we go

Intro sentence + additional technical info added. Left the speed at 0.99c... so there's a one second internal to seven seconds eternal temporal difference between the inside of a ship travelling by the gates and for everyone else in the system.

This means that travel time 60 AU's out to the systems outermost edge would take about 1 hour, 11 minutes from ship perspective. The real travel time would be 8 hours, 24 minutes from the perspective of someone external to the ship.

Much better compared to the 55 hours and 26 minutes that would be required to reach the same spot using the Neshaten's normal 0.15c capable sub-light drives.

Approved.

I am approving this, because this technology is only for the Neshaten home system, and is an effort by the Neshaten to improve their ability to exit the inner system to a point where they can engage FTL.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…