Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Approved Submission [Neshaten] Shade Field and Laser Comms

club24

Everything Is Magical
now I have spoken to a couple of people about this through the design process and have tried to make sure it doesnt seem OP considering its function is basically just camouflage however im open to all suggestions from the NTSE, i would like to keep the core idea the same but other details can be tweaked easily enough.

For the sake of the future this article is FM Approved by myself as the current Neshaten FM

Also yes i used the drone template, it works surprisingly well for buildings in my opinion

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
OK! Good to see the foxes getting out and... No... wait... This is the opposite!

[ ✅ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ❌ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✅ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✅ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✅ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate and are not broken
[ ? ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ / ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✅ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ / ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✅ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Here's some fixes this article still needs:

The title headers text should include a link to the laser comms as its first mention in the submission.

While it does fit well in the drone template, The component template would be more appropriate for it and would only require the change of its availability (Likely extremely limited to only nesh i would assume?)

This technology fitis within the tech levels of the setting but the sheer scale of it is beyond what i feel is my ability to openly allow unchecked, Though if i could, i would. I tag @Wes for his opinion as SM as to if a planet wide satellite network that cloaks entire planets from prying eyes and open detection is acceptable within setting. I will however vouch for it that it doesn't seem overpowered or overly abuse-able and fits in with the neshetans niche towards isolationism and fear of foreign interference in their daily lives after recent terror attacks and that ive seen you talking about the possibly correspondences with other factions in the recent past so its not the end all curtain drop on the neshetan faction but, If im reading into this and their recent activities is their insurance and safety net especially with powerful neghibors to the south, And overly ambitious ones to the north. And also theres this big war going on im sure the nesh want no part of~

@club24 @Wes

I don't think it's a problem but what is going to be a problem is that, because of the speed of light, everyone beyond a certain distance will still see your planet even after this is turned on, so it wouldn't be very effective except at close range, lol.
Inside the shade field it is pitch black on account of all outside light being blocked,
Also, if you block all light to your planet, that planet is going to become rather frigid.
all devices function normally within the field but are unable to communicate with devices outside of the field
Seems too vague. It should explicitly say what it blocks.

I did mention it blocks all but laser communication, the idea of the second paragraph you mentioned is that inside the field you can still use regular tech, it’s just not able to send or receive through the barrier. I can try to make it a bit more explicit.

Yes i do understand both points about blocking light and detection distance, currently the Shukaren are nocturnal species by nature as well as partially living underground with many of their military assets being kept underwater. This isn’t something that could be used for endless periods however they’re no stranger to a bit of cold and it would just end up being a situation where people are told to stay inside or go underground.

I’ll sort out the other fixes char mentioned as well.

i've sorted the Shade Field into the component template and have chopped and changed some of the writing so let me know if any bits seem missing orjammed together wrong, also I went ahead and made a more explicit list of what it blocks per wes' suggestion instead of having two descriprions in different parts of the article,

I'm going to work on the LCA shortly to reform its template into the component one as well and also add in a vital system i forgot to mention, basically the laser comms bases have no way to track each other either and currently it reads as though it does, my original idea i forgot to add in is that there are so many bases and they're setup in a way that one of them will allign with one on another planet once every hour or so. This would be done though the precise mapping of planet rotation and rotation around the sun in reference to the other planets with comms sites, its annoying to explain but basically each site is setup prior to activating the field so they end up allinging every hour or so to send and receive transmissions for a few minutes

i have sorted the LCA into the required template, it was a nasty conversion so if bits dont seem right same as always let me know, i also added the section about how they're setup to allign every 2 hours for a short 5 minute window

[ ✅ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✅ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✅ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✅ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✅ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate and are not broken
[ ✅ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ / ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✅ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ / ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✅ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Goodjob, Clubbo. Ye foxes now receive +/-4 advantage to perception checks against them, APPROVED

now onto the next part. Make sure you link it to/ link other things to it to avoid it being orphaned!

[ Y ] 1. State clearly that the article is approved in the submission thread
[ Y] 2. Move the wiki article to its permanent (destination) location on the wiki
[ Y] 3. Move the submission thread to the Approved Submissions subforum or get a moderator to
[ Y] 4. Edit the article to add a link to the approval thread in the OOC Notes section
[ Y] 5. Remind the submitter to link to the newly-approved page wherever it makes sense to do so.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back