• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

New Thread Tags?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samael

Inactive Member
I'm trying to find an actual plot to join in Roleplaying Planning & Discussion (OOC & Signups). However, everything seems to be just Open Non-Canon RPs.

Would it be possible to make a Tag to label the thread as a Plot RP, so new members don't have to waste their time looking through endless Open Plots?

What I mean by Tag is:
Read Me
Interest Check
OOC
Signup
Notice

If it isn't too much trouble, could we get a Tag similar to these--> Active Plot Interest Check, Active Plot Signup

You might be looking in the wrong places.

The section you mentioned is dedicated to discussions and sign ups. There should be no actual plots there. And There are tags for "Interest Check" "OOC" "Sign up" and "Notice" there.

Now the Open RPs are in the 'Open Roleplay' section. Which has tags for 'RP' and "NCRP"(non canon RP).

There will not be many plot RPs in the open RP section though, because they are only there for the first mission then get moved out. There is also no real need to have tags to determin 'active' plot sign ups and interest checks from others. Because there are no sign ups or interest checks for active plots. Interest Checks are to see if enough people will be interested in a plot for the GM to run it. And Sign-ups are to actually get enough people to sign up. Once a plot is already running it has already met these conditions. The wiki has a List of Active plots where you can see active plots and get in touch with the GMs to join.

In the Roleplaying Planning & Discussion forum, what you see is what you get. It's a place for aspiring GMs to garner interest in an idea, and gather a player base once it becomes apparent there is enough interest to warrant beginning a new plot.

You can find a list of active plots on the wiki, as well as relevant information on each such as the posting frequency, links to their information pages, their current GM, number of players, and anything else noteworthy about them at first glance. That's your best place to start if you're looking to join an ongoing plot.

As Syaoran said, the Open RP forum is a "fast and loose" area for roleplay, where the requirements for joining are much more lenient. It's considered good form to ask the original poster of an RP before just jumping in (unless he or she specifically stated it is open for anyone to join), but aside from that and a generous helping of good sense and manners, you can basically do as you wish there. Because of this, though, the actions in that forum are considered either non-canon or "quasi-canon" unless/until they are officially approved as part of SARP lore.

That said, especially after your initial character submission, you should probably put forth some effort in creating an equally interesting and memorable addition to the fray. As others said before me, if your character is a boring cardboard cut-out, you're just playing filler material, an extra taking up space. Take the time to contribute something that others will want to interact with and get to know. I've seen a number of players take weeks or even months to submit their first character while they take in the vast amount of information available on the wiki. I'm not saying you have take that long, but your contributions to the RP should make it clear that you at least tried.

On a more pointed note, after following some of your activities thus far on this site, you've made it fairly apparent you're only interested in 18+ plots. If that's your fancy, then that's fine, but I will tell you that you're unfairly limiting your search. There are a number of fantastic plots out there that don't fall under that umbrella, and you're missing out if you're not even bothering to look at them. A lot of effort has gone into many of them, and they are full of vibrant, interesting characters (PCs and NPCs alike) created by a wide variety of creative intellects and very talented writers.

It's worth noting that just because a plot is not 18+ does not mean it's G-rated Disney material either, if that is your concern. It only means that X-rated, egregiously graphic material is not permitted, but most anything that you'd expect to see in most mainstream films not specifically targeted at children 8 and under is probably fair game. However, if you are only seeking to get involved in "adults only" roleplay, I frankly believe you're looking in the wrong place. :/

Don't be discouraged, mistakes are perfectly normal. I'm not saying any of this to be antagonistic or unfriendly - I'm saying it so that you can re-evaluate what it is you're hoping to gain from playing here, and adjust your approach so that you can get the most out of your experience. Your fellow players will thank you for it as well. :)

Reactions: Wes
I'm trying to find an actual plot to join in Roleplaying Planning & Discussion (OOC & Signups). However, everything seems to be just Open Non-Canon RPs.

Would it be possible to make a Tag to label the thread as a Plot RP, so new members don't have to waste their time looking through endless Open Plots?

What I mean by Tag is:
Read Me
Interest Check
OOC
Signup
Notice

If it isn't too much trouble, could we get a Tag similar to these--> Active Plot Interest Check, Active Plot Signup
I see what you're saying. What you've pointed out is that the RPs that have a subforum don't bother to maintain a signup thread in the OOC forum. This is normal and it doesn't mean they're not accepting people. If you go to the list of active plots and follow the links to each plot's page, the plot will say whether or not it is open and what sort of characters they're looking for (if not on the main plot page, it's going to be on the "crew roster" page).

The plots in Open RP are not necessarily non-canon; more often than not, they're canon and as soon as the GM finishes their first successful chapter/thread/episode they tend to show up on in my inbox asking about a subforum, at which point their threads will get moved into one.

I'm not sure there's enough non-canon plots that I should make special tags for them. Although I'm thinking the signup and interest check tags are kind of redundant now.

Does this answer your question?

In the Roleplaying Planning & Discussion forum, what you see is what you get. It's a place for aspiring GMs to garner interest in an idea, and gather a player base once it becomes apparent there is enough interest to warrant beginning a new plot.
That's my problem. How exactly does one tell if a GM is doing an Interest Check/Signup for an RP rather than just an NCRP?

Or, is it automatically assumed that EVERYTHING in the Roleplaying Planning & Discussion (OOC & Signups) is for NCRPs only and that the Interest Checks/Signups for the canon RPs are simply skipped as canon RP is immediately placed into the List of Active Plots table as soon as they become available?

Somehow, I find that hard to believe. A plot isn't going to be automatically put into the plot table without even checking for interest, while containing only a GM and no players. As such, the Interest Checks/Signups for beginning plots have to be placed somewhere. And, if not in Roleplaying Planning & Discussion (OOC & Signups), then where?

Or, is it automatically assumed that EVERYTHING in the Roleplaying Planning & Discussion (OOC & Signups) is for NCRPs only
It's the opposite, really. Unless otherwise specified, any RP on the site, including Open RP, is considered canonical. It's only when something can't be fit into the existing lore that it's declared non-canon and given an NCRP tag.

I think the problem you're coming across is that a lot of the plots listed in Roleplaying Planning and Discussion aren't listed anymore on the active plots list. That is because a lot of that section is old and the plots have either run their course or interest waned or GMs left. But as Wes said, all plots in that section are assumed to be with the intent of being canon unless otherwise stated. the OOC marker does not mean the plot itself is OOC. It means that is the OOC thread for the plot. So players can discuss what's going on in the plot, or GMs can give heads up for maybe not being around the next week or so, or whatever is needed, so the plot threads can stay with only IC post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back