• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Nightly Backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
πŸŽ–οΈ Game Master
Discord Booster
🎨 Media Gallery
I've set up a new system for automatically backing up the forum database each night. For the integrity of the backups it temporarily disables the forum when it's running. This took about 2 minutes and 11 seconds the last time it happened, so if you see a message saying that the forum is busy making a backup of itself, just wait 3 minutes and it should be open again. I think I set it to run at 4am Eastern.

Okay, so that didn't work as intended. Apparently the forum disabled itself for far too long last night and I had to manually re-open it. I've made some adjustments so (hopefully) that won't happen again.

It's an extension (add-on) for XenForo but I think it's having problems. I think I to increase the PHP max execution time variable for it to finish before it comes up with a 500 error.

It's hosted by our webhost, Dreamhost, on a separate SQL VPS.

I have been backing it up manually (Google calendar reminds me via my phone) and I was trying to set up an automated solution instead so I don't have to worry about it.

Moving this topic to tech support.

Understood. Seems like a good idea. Hopefully this works out for you so you can save some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…