Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Nightmare Type Neo Mishhuvurthyar

Khasidel

🌟 Site Supporter
Inactive Member
Submission Type: Species
Submission URL: Nightmare Type NMX

Faction: NMX
FM Approved Yet? Concept approved by Wes -- specifics of the submission still require his review and acceptance
For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Yes
Previously Submitted? No

Notes:
Submission for a new Neo Mishhvurthyar sub-species, intended to act as a counter to role-players in power armor or using more powerful kinds of Neko bodies. Something that could provide more of a challenge than your regular mass-produced NMX neko cannon-fodder.

Pretty much everything is still open to change or discussion though, and as this is my first attempt at this kind of submission, I am aware I may have made the Nightmare Type a bit too overpowered (or underpowered =P ). I'm perfectly willing to change its abilities to whatever more acceptable levels are recommended after discussion -- though keep in mind, it is intended to be a bit more of a challenge for folks in power armor and not just another easy win. In fact -- if an RP'er soiled themselves after seeing one of these coming at them it would make me quite happy *evil grin*.

Anything else that needs to be altered or fixed, just say the word.

Unapproved sub-articles:
Nightmare Abilities
Nightmare Reproduction
Nightmare Psychology
Nightmare Interpreter Variant

I love the art and the information is VERY clear and detailed. Internal aetheric generator resulting in an organic weapon? Brilliant.

I am going to leave my personal feelings about this out, but here are few issues.

It violates the DR system.

Due to a Nightmares extreme ability to absorb physical abuse, they are typically able to completely shrug off damage by weapons with less a ADR 1 damage rating.

Nothing shrugs off damage.

Bio-Aetheric Talons
Damage needs to be stated.

I was under the impression that pretty much anything in the Armor scale cannot be damaged by anything in the Personal weapons scale accept PDR5/ADR1 weapons -- if I misunderstood this then I will correct it. (Though I can't remember exactly where I came across that... *frowns* :? )

As for the talons, they're a melee attack -- as such the actual severity of the attack would pretty much always be decided by the GM. Though the maximum potential damage would be a ADR 5 like other aether blades. If a numerical value is also required, i'll add it in.

EDIT: Anyway -- i've made some changes -- added a damage value for the melee attack and removed the reference to damage resistance from the endurance section.

Any other problems? I realize the whole biological aether generating aspect and directed energy attacks from a living being would be controversial (even though the Nightmare is partially based upon Neko's which already have fairly exotic physiology and organs) and I've half-expected that aspect to be shot down -- though there is some precedent of organic aether generation in Mishhu ships created by MORGAN like the megamishhu and gigamishhu. If its believed that such abilities are unworkable in the RP or too prone to abuse-- I'm willing to remove them if necessary. Though I did want the Nightmare to at least have a natural equivalent of a Mindy's forearm weapons as part of their design -- can't always have what we want though.

As I discussed with you yesterday, there are numerious problems with this that make it overpowered and as a tech moderator, I have to take those into consideration.

One thing that I would like for you to remove is the phasing bit, it appears to me that phasing is one of those items that is rather controversial, given how we apperently have a tech submission already here that is being held up because of it.

With that said, the bio-aether stuff makes me shake my head, I don't see how a person can naturally generate aether when from what I know of it, can only be generated by a machine.

Not to mention, as I said yesterday, I can see this type being abused quite a bit..

It's to overpowered at this point in time. Some of the items either need to go, or have to be rethought of in an entirely different way. If you would like this type to have aether, then please try and find it a way for it to be possible without it being created via a natural means.

Keep in mind, I do love the concept and such - but I have to think of how it may effect the players here and how it might be used. I can't just step aside and say 'nothing wrong here' and just it be.

Alrighty -- removed the phasing ability for the interpreter variant, though I would have thought GM's at least would be trusted to not abuse that power. Ah well... :?

Removed the bio-aetheric abilities and scalar stun ability, plus dummed down the toughness to 8 on the armor scale. Guess they'll just have to use hand-held weapons like everyone else -- though playing a character without power armor on these guys would still scare the hell out of me due to their remaining physical abilities. :)

Anything else?

GM's at least would be trusted to not abuse that power.

The GM's we have now can be, I doubt Wes, Nash, Aendri, or any other GM's that we have would abuse this thing.

But I also have to consider future GM's as well, always think ahead!

I think phasing would be very in line with what we've seen from the Mishhu. I mean, we have Ghost Mishhu already. As I've said before, I'm not a big fan of phasing in player hands, but for GM monsters it can be useful for horror. Besides, in-game counters exist. Yamatai has been able to force Mishhu to un-phase since YE 27 or 28.

I also think the scalar stun makes sense because they use electrogravitic flight abilities already.

I've been in a lot of pain lately due to a tooth issue so I haven't got to read the actual articles yet, so my apologies on slowing the process down.

Well I could reintroduce the scalar stun and perhaps a low-yield scalar attack -- similar to that of the NSP perhaps? It would pose a fair threat to normal soldiers then, but only a moderate or light threat to soldiers in power armor.

I had been intending that the phasing ability only be available for the interpreter variant -- Nightmare bodies for high-ranking mishhu or dark ones or other big boss character's which would always be under a GM's direct control, to prevent abuse by normal players. I could state that only some interpreters possess this ability, and GM's would have to ask the admins for permission or something first.

Personal feelings on this aside as well, this feels like a GM tool more than anything a player is supposed to touch. I say keep the phasing in and swap out aether for NSP/scalar-type attacks.

Main article: Looks good.
Reproduction: Looks fine
Psychology: Looks good.
Interpreter: Seems okay as a concept, though maybe the personal shielding should be done via tech? We need to be conscious and cautious about setting a precedent of flesh being able to generate forcefields.

Abilities:

Not sure if skin of any type should ever be on the Armor scale and I have questions about Yamataium in cells...it's a very heavy starship armor.

"Nightmares do not require oxygen" - Explain.

The whole page is "X is stronger than a Nekovalkyrja" over and over again. Are there any downsides/weaknesses to this body at all?

Okay then -- i'll remove the shielding ability from the interpreter as well as the not needing oxygen thing.

Overall, the more combat-oriented Nightmare is intended to be superior in most respects to the NH-29. Though they do lack the SPINE interface and can only interact with technology as well as a yamataian could with their mechanical telepathic abilities due to their spinal carapace. The older NH-28 model would probably still dominate a Nightmare one-on-one in terms of abilities though.

I will remove the yamatium reference and if you think I should - the armor value. We could just let the GM determine the Nightmare's survivability as they would for other tough Mishhu-types like the Crab Type -- which is almost a living tank from the looks of it.

There we go... =D

Have redone the interpreter article and the abilities article -- let's see if its good this time. :)

Thanks for making the changes.

APPROVED

RPG-D RPGfix
Back