• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

NMX Phase Ship

That's an interesting retake on the small Mishhu scoutship that showed up in YE 29. I never bothered to get it over the wiki because I considered it a limited run after phasing countermeasures were made.

I can't really say if Uso's work is nice or not - truth be told I find it a pain to read through because of Uso's distinctive format.

However, in order to assist, I'll provide some barebones info on what I had of the predecessor. It was in the older systems in regard to ship DR and speed scales.

Mishhuvurthyar Elplifhurl-type SMX corvette (YE29 )

Appearance: Manta-ray shaped, with black-and-grey mottled hull. Positron cannon installed on the ventral side (a stubby nozzle with a 30 degree arc of fire, mounted facing straight 'down'). Manta 'winglets' integrated two shuttle-grade CFS drives, with STL engines being slit neon-colored appertures to the back edge of the manta fins. The bulk of the 'tail' was the phasing system.

Size: Likely sits in category 1 of our current ship scale.

CFS engine: 60 000c
Hyperspace Drive: 1 ly/m
Sublight Engine: 0.75c
Weaponry:
  • 1x Medium Subspace-Encased Positron Tunneling Cannon
    4x Scalar Wave Arrays
Generator: 1 frigate-size aether generator 400 One
Crew capacity: 5 maximum
Computer/sensor properties: WARMS-equivalent, QWD, Magnetic Resonance Scanners, Long-Range Infrared Spectrometer
Comm systems: Subspace, Laser, Radio
Shielding: Phasing System granted a very high degree of protection, but otherwise the vessel only had navigational shielding to protect a very brittle hull.
Hull composition: Xiulurium stealth material only
Internal systems and life support: the typical slimy mishhu stuff

I figure I should get the components first.

Model 31 Aether Plasma Drive APPROVED (I made some edits)
Model 31 Phase Generator INTEND TO APPROVE*
Model 31 Phased Communication Array INTEND TO APPROVE*
Model 31 Phase Cannon INTEND TO APPROVE*
Model 31 Phase Drive I don't like the internal engines concept much. Will have to consider it more.
Model 31 Radiator Spine APPROVED
Model 31 Sensor Array APPROVED
Model 31 Ship Armor Needs to include a primary layer of Yamataium under the organic part to fit with other NMX ships and DR stats
Model 30 Organic Computer Core INTEND TO APPROVE*
Model 30 Shield Suite - What about defense vs Energy Weapons?
Model 29 Aether Generator INTEND TO APPROVE*
Model 29 Communication Array INTEND TO APPROVE*
Model 29 Fusion Reactor INTEND TO APPROVE*
Model 29 Interdiction Generator INTEND TO APPROVE*

*If no one has any objections by next Saturday

I would like to see this submission changed to adhere to the standard starship template before I recommend it for approval. Uso's starship formatting is somewhat annoying and confusing.

Model 31 Phase Generator APPROVED
Model 31 Phased Communication Array APPROVED
Model 31 Phase Cannon APPROVED
Model 31 Phase Drive PENDING
Model 31 Ship Armor PENDING
Model 30 Organic Computer Core APPROVED
Model 30 Shield Suite PENDING
Model 29 Aether Generator APPROVED
Model 29 Communication Array APPROVED
Model 29 Fusion Reactor APPROVED
Model 29 Interdiction Generator APPROVED

Model 31 Phase Generator APPROVED
Model 31 Ship Armor APPROVED
Model 30 Shield Suite APPROVED

Model 31 Phase Drive STILL PENDING (last item)

It appears there are two NMX phase ship pages and the more detailed one doesn't have all the links on the basic one with the older art.

Can you fix the detailed (template) page and delete the other one that just has the links on it?

I do have a bit of a concern with this design, namely the phasing generator component itself.

With the size of 3x5 meters, this component can effectively be integrated into units that are the size of large shuttles, fighters, mecha, tanks, and practically any size of starship. No limitations are listed on the page as to what the phase generator organ can be attached to, which raises a balance issue.

A large torpedo phasing beneath a planetary structure, a small tank being phased into a star fortress, or even a starship simply phasing past layers upon layers of star system defenses. It is widely open to exploitation, and it simply lacks any drawbacks to produce a risk to a unit in which the generator is installed upon. Without a listed detection method, power requirement explanation, or any other drawbacks the phase generator simply is an article which amounts to a single paragraph saying "You can't see me, you can't hurt me."

Explain the phase generator contraption better, and give it some drawbacks... I'd feel more at ease as a player, GM, and FM if such a device as it is presented is not implemented.

Well, NMX ships are really weak right now and it makes sense that they would go this route to improve them, starting with test ships for the technology like this.

As for beating them, be smart and use your Nick Fury Training

As I see it, the phasing can accomplish two things:

1. A CFS-stealth-like effect, which all yamataian ship can mostly use anyways.

2. A protective property which is similar to a shield system, but based on the attacks being evaded rather than absorbed by a shield. It turns the craft into something of an 'evasion tank', in MMORPG-parlance, but the protection can still be depleted (the reserve power left aside to 'battle-phase' through attacks will eventually deplete itself and need to be recharged).

RPG-D RPGfix
Back