Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

NMX - Type 33 Phase Mine

Nashoba

SARPaholic & Admin
Retired Staff
Inactive Member
Convention Veteran
Submission Type: System / Station Defense
Submission URL: Type 33 Phase Mine

Faction: NMX
FM Approved Yet? Yes

Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No

Notes: Something to help making attacking NMX Installations a little riskier.

I think it's overpowered.

It's not that it can't be done with our displayed tech level. It's not like I don't also want mines to be something people can take notice of.

But we're talking about massively powerful explosives that can potentially explode not only inside shields, but inside ships. I think it shouldn't be done for the same reasons we don't use shuttles travelling at relativistic speeds as planetary bombardment weapons, and why we don't stuff teleporting Mindy with explosives to then treat them as teleport bombs.

What is the scientific basis for the teleporting tech any way? What are the flaws, draw back? How does this "teleportation" technology "work"

Actually I needed to update one thing, the mine has to unphase when detonating

Because per the phase generator if its phased when it detonates, its nothing but a light show.

ANd the mine is not going to try to get inside a ships shield, it does not need to get that close.

Then why include phasing at all, Nash? The only point for it would be to put the mine past shields or past armor, and if it doesn't need to do either, then just drop the phasing entirely.

The phasing is for hiding the mines, at full phase the mines are completely hidden

Going to half phase allows the mines to peek out and check status but keeps them safe from being shot at.

Just include stealthing, maybe stealth armor, if you just want it to hide it, man. Phasing isn't all that common for a reason. It's very easily misused, and even if you won't misuse it, this isn't just going into your plot.

Because that would not make these as nasty as I would like. With the phasing you have several mines overlapping, Some drop out of phase and detonate. The enemy figures that the area is safe to pass through, and the other mines drop out of phase and catch them.

Its evil, sneaky, and twisted. And by design expensive so its not something that is going to be everywhere, but deployed at critical places where the cost is justified.

Aendri said:
Just include stealthing, maybe stealth armor, if you just want it to hide it, man. Phasing isn't all that common for a reason. It's very easily misused, and even if you won't misuse it, this isn't just going into your plot.

If that's the issue, then why not do this what Wes did the Mindy M2-3A?

Make it so it requires FM Approval to use. That way there is isn't abused by other GMs and it can only be used in particular situations.

Actually with the blast radius and cost, any such deployment would be small. The phase tech is expensive, hence these would only be deployed at important facilities.

You would not deploy a massive mine field because a mine field is only truly effective at damaging the enemy if they don't know it exists.

Once the enemy knows you have mines, it serves mainly as a deterrent, you put a small number of them, the enemy can't detect them, so they have to decide if the target is worth the risk, and will in all reality at the point use long range weapons to engage the target.

As long as the exotic nature of these mines makes them use sporadically as 'special ordonnance' and that they see more use via a Game Master select decision to resort to them in a plot rather than become a common placeable like I've once seen with minefields spread across light years of our starmap...

Well, I think my concerns with this submission have been abated. I'm not comfortable with it, but it's not a good enough reason to hold it up. I recommend approval.

Hopefully, some good roleplay will come from it.

Well, since there doesn't appear to be any other issues that I can see. I'll goa head and approve of this.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back