Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

"Normal" people in a Super-Universe

Floodwaters

Inactive Member
I've spent a lot of time going through the wiki, and boy is there a lot to absorb. First thing to say, is to everyone who contributed to this universe and to its original creator, very VERY impressive work. This is good stuff. :)

I do have a couple of questions that I'd like clarified, if I may, and I apologize if the answers are already out there and I just overlooked them.

First, simply out of curiosity, is there some form of hidden numerical system that tracks a PC's success/failure when using skills in RP (dice rolls, etc), or is the outcome largely up to the GM's discretion? It honestly makes little difference to me in the long run, so long as GMs are consistent in their application, which I'm confident they are. I'm merely wondering, since I couldn't find any sort of hard system in place.

Second, the debut character I've made is very much a normal human in what seems to be a world of superhuman cyborgs, androids, and perfect specimens of genetic engineering. She's an above average person physically, of course, but still very much human. I suppose this question is a two-parter:

1) Does a "normal" human character have a decent shot of not getting killed in her travels, provided she doesn't choose a safe (but ultimately boring) life as a garbage barge deck hand?

2) Should her RP life afford her the opportunity, would it be advisable to seek out genetic upgrades or cybernetic implants later on down the line?

I realize that these are probably very open-ended questions that could have a variety of answers. The main thing I'm trying to answer (besides my own curiosity) is how to get the most enjoyment out of my RP experience.

Thanks for your feedback!

Floodwaters said:
First, simply out of curiosity, is there some form of hidden numerical system that tracks a PC's success/failure when using skills in RP (dice rolls, etc), or is the outcome largely up to the GM's discretion?

Nothing forces GMs to use any sort of scoring or success/failure checks. Some have used dice/random generators/other tools, though. So you guessed right and it depends on the plot you join.

Floodwaters said:
Second, the debut character I've made is very much a normal human in what seems to be a world of superhuman cyborgs, androids, and perfect specimens of genetic engineering. She's an above average person physically, of course, but still very much human.

I'm not saying you should change anything, but try to put yourself in the mindset of what's considered normal within the SARP universe. That said...

Floodwaters said:
1) Does a "normal" human character have a decent shot of not getting killed in her travels, provided she doesn't choose a safe (but ultimately boring) life as a garbage barge deck hand?

A "'normal' human character" is honestly 100% as survivable in actual play as any other character. This, again, depends on the GM and the story you're helping them tell.

Floodwaters said:
2) Should her RP life afford her the opportunity, would it be advisable to seek out genetic upgrades or cybernetic implants later on down the line?

Up to you. But if you're interested in such upgrades, why not just start her out with some?

Hope that helps a bit. I'm sure others will give their two cents. Good luck!

raz said:
Floodwaters said:

Up to you. But if you're interested in such upgrades, why not just start her out with some?

Hope that helps a bit. I'm sure others will give their two cents. Good luck!

As of right now, I'm not interested in the upgrades. I've already drawn up the character and like what I have as a starting point. But, if she does elect to upgrade herself in the future, it will add to her development and make her more interesting to play for me. She'll have more of a feeling of history and personal growth.

Thanks for the quick answer, and I'm getting excited to start. :)

I'll offer a few additional bits of information. Maybe some perspective. :)

First of all is the concept of 'normal' humans. Nepleslians are what we'd consider no frills normal humans, though back home they do have the tendency to add cybernetics and the cloning/growth of super-soldiers.

Geshrins are the first example of bioengineered humans whom cropped up in yamatai... but they're more or less still considered fairly normal by the standards of the setting - somewhat more fit, no infirmities, some resilience to diseases and toxins. Purified nepleslians, pretty much. Some are still left, but more than two decades later they've been nearly all replaced by Yamataians.

The NH-22C Yamataian was the next bioengineered 'type' of body available, and that one included digital mental communication and the ability to float. They're still fairly common, though gradually being replaced by the newest civilian body incarnation, the NH-31 Minkan. (everyone living in Yamatai is called a "Yamataian" now)

Transition from Geshrin to Yamataian bridges a divide with the Star Army's nekovalkyrja soldier, whom operate heavily in ships where there are zero-gravity passageways and communicate/store/operate information digitally.

A normal human put in the midst of such soldiers willneed to rely on communication devices/portable computers rather than his digital mind - and that won't be anywhere nearly as quick or easy. Negociating the zero-G passageways could be more troublesome as well, though the ability to float brings about the LARGE advantage of being able to workin high places/avoid falling.

A truly normal human lacking either can still do a decent job, but he's lacking several things taken for granted. Unless he's actually managed to earn the seniority of rank (meaning he's already valued for his experience) it'd be reasonable to expect that these lacks could be seen as liabilities. He might be denied access to serving 'unless he upgrades' at the recruitment office.

Even if he would get past that hurdle and gain tolerant coworkers, they'd likely would still need to wait for him, hope he'd have the presence of mind to check his communicator to be aware of mental messages and have to wait around while he'd have to type his reply (rather than thinking it right away), helpfully drag him across 0G passages (especially if there's an emergency or that he somehow gets himself stranded), or even rescue him from high places or falling if he gets stuck in such a precarious situation.

...so, yeah, it can all work out, but it also seriously hurts the perceived usefulness of the 'normal' human in what essentially is a space military mostly crewed by biosynthetic soldiers.

In such an environment, I'd point out that the 'embellishments' the Minkan has are mostly fluff. Digital memory, telepathy/wireless communication and inertia control are really the main standouts for GMs with the rest being considered 'normal future human' - a human given just what he needs to be able to participate in an elite interstellar military.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back