Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Not Every Post Can Be A Masterpiece

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
Discord Booster
🎨 Media Gallery
I came across this on the Valucre blog and I think it's a great tip for the SARP as well:

Acies said:
Sometimes, it can be hard to get a post eked out because you don't feel 100%. Hell, if we only posted when we felt 100%, we might get posts two to three times a month from the MOST ACTIVE members, no telling what it would do to those who are not so active. Here is what I tell people I work with in regards to coming to work not being 100%, knowing that we deal with difficult clients who just may want to hurt you:

You will rarely be 100%, so be prepared to settle for something less, but make sure that you do what you can to keep yourself restored.

Same applies here. You are not going to always be 100%, so don't expect it. Not every post is going to be a masterpiece, or even necessarily decent. However, people might depend on you to show up and post (as in our work place, show up and work well with the patients), so we just have to do the best we can. I think that most of the time, someone would rather have you give them a 'subpar post', than make them wait days and weeks longer for a 'great post'. We talk about being writers, and sometimes a part of being a writer is simply sticking to our guns and writing- even if it hurts.

I challenge you to stick to your commitments, and post even if you think it will be ugly. You'll keep the story moving, and I bet you might just find that drive coming back sooner.

Think about it. ;)

+1.

But part of keeping yourself restored is to not overcommit (a problem of mine). GMs should focus on one plot, two max, and learn to withhold themselves from posting elsewhere (which I haven't). Otherwise, everything you do is subpar and you'll always feel like shit (which I do, ho ho ho).

This is very true. Very, very true. Have a minimum standard for yourself. When you post, understand exactly what /needs/ to be responded too.

1: Respond to people talking to you somehow. Acknowledge them so they know they are being acknowledged and try to do so nicely. Don't want them to feel ignored.
2: Make sure you have some actions in your post. Some form of thought. Something more than a flat responce. It really doesn't have to be much.

Edtoto growled at Hasewega as she was pulled back rather violently. once stopped, she pushed her away and spun around looking annoyed. "What the hell was that for?!" She snapped, tail snapping in her sudden mood.

That was a mock up post to Heartbreaker based on the current situation. Everyone knows what's going on though, and it's enough to keep everything moving.

Edtoto was mildly unaware of the shouts she heard from the team, a tinge of bloodlust starting to get to her. Suddenly, she felt someones arms wrap around her and her body get pulled back violently causing her to give out a loud snarl. Once she managed to get free, she spun around and snapped her teeth. "What the hell was that for?!" She yelled, her tail snapping behind her in her mood.

Now people know why. Three lines, ad everyone can move forward even if you aren't feeling up too it!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back