• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Celia [Ohara] The Case of Mr. Oven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yangfan

Inactive Member
Yangfan

As Mazda walked along one of the Celia's corridors, looking for the Chusa, a voice chimed in from the ceiling.

"Nitô Hei Mazda Eschve, welcome aboard. This is Chusa Megami Celia. Please report to me in Taisho Chen's office."

A holographic map of the ship appeared before Mazda, showing his current location and the location of the office.

Mokuren

As the holographic map appeared in front of him, Mazda nodded, positively surprised from the welcome.

"Gotcha", he muttered as soon as he had a grasp, for how vague, of his position relative to Taiso Chen's office. Now, that was an easy walk.

Yangfan

The ship's corridors were relatively easy to navigate. Soon, Mazda found himself in the Taisho's office, in front of an old-fashioned, wooden desk.

The person sitting behind the desk looked like just like any other Nekovalkyrja, perfectly ordinary except for her long, flowing silvery hair and her perfectly emotionless eyes. She wore a gray officer's uniform, and had a Chusa rank pin.

Even back when he was in the Elysian Celestial Navy, however, Mazda knew that only the dreaded Yamataian computer avatars, not Nekos, had ever carried the last name of Megami. He knew that the Neko body was but an appendage. The body of Chusa Celia Megami was the ship herself.

"Nitô Hei Eschve, I realize that you've just arrived and probably wants some rest," the Neko said. "But the mess hall is reporting… technical difficulties. It is not a serious problem, but please go and check it out anyway. An army marches on its stomach."

Mokuren

Even if from the outside he looked only slightly confused, Mazda was quite startled; maybe just because the bulk of his training came from another army, but that sort of welcome was cold beyond his expectations, even for a machine, where were the times of welcome aboard, son gone?

Nevertheless, "Sure Chusa, I'll be reporting to the mess hall right away". A salute and a quick turn, and Mazda was once again on the run for somewhere else.

He didn't take them seriously when they said you'll rest when you die but there probably was something true behind that. Yet again, technical difficulties in the mess hall? Nah, what could go so terribly wrong, after all?

Yangfan

With a little holographic help from Celia, Mazda was able to quickly make his way to the mess hall.

The mess hall hasn't been changed much since the ship was first built. There was a large dining area near the entrance, equipped with cafeteria-style tables and benches. The buffet area could be found if one walked past all the tables, while the kitchen, partially concealed behind a wall, lied just beyond that.

A sign stood near the entrance. It read: "The mess hall is currently closed, as we are experiencing equipment malfunction. Gomen nasai."

Mazda could faintly hear some Nekos inside the kitchen. It sounded like they were cursing at someone.

Mokuren

People cursing meant problems, people cursing at object meant tecnhical difficulties, and since he has been briefed in that sense, Mazda assumed the Nekos were angry at something that didn't work.

Come on, Mazda, it can't be anything you can't handle; ignoring the sign, he moved past and made his way into the kitchen.

"Hello? A bird told me you're having problems, I'm here to help"

Yangfan

"Come on," Kiyoshi groaned.

"No," replied the giant oven.

"Come oooooon."

"No. I'm not gonna cook this thing. it is disgusting."

"You shouldn't say bad things about Kiyoshi's cooking, Mr. Oven," warned Jasmine, setting down the bowl of salad dressing that she was stirring. "Especially not her 'Chef's Surprise'. She can get very defensive."

"More like the Chef's Revenge if you ask me," replied the oven.

"That's it! I'm gonna break you back down to parts!" Kiyoshi screamed.

"Crap! Help me hold her back, Brooke!" yelled Jasmine, throwing her body between Kiyoshi and the oven.

Brook dropped her fruit peeler and pounced on Kiyoshi before she could reach the oven. "Calm down, Kiyoshi! We need that thing to make pizza!"

This was when Mazda walked in. He could see two Nekos holding back another very angry-looking Neko, preventing her from attacking the large, commercial-size oven that almost covered one entire wall of the kitchen.

"Yeah, the problem is your so-called chef over there," said the oven to Mazda.

Mokuren

Technical... Uh, difficulties. Indeed.

"Well, no kidding, looks like a civil war's ready to break out", the Elysian commented.

Decided to quickly solve the situation, Mazda approached the oven, keeping as far as possible from the angry Neko in the process. "So, what is the real problem, or is it just a matter of cooking?", he pondered as his eyes scanned the oven, every part of it, as if there could be hidden clues about its disfunction. He didn't even seem to notice the Nekos at all.

Yangfan

"See for yourself," replied the oven.

One of the open's hatches slowly slid open. Mazda could see a very large, rectangular casserole dish sitting on a metallic grill inside. The dish was filled to the brim with fish, shrimps, oysters, squids, octopi, sea cucumbers, jellyfish, and various other foods that Mazda could only assume was seafood but could not otherwise identify.

"My programming forbids me from preparing any food that could be considered hazardous to human health," added the oven. "Anyone who consume this… concoction will most likely require hospitalization."

"But that's not true, Mr. Oven!" interjected Jasmine. "Most of the crew loves Kiyoshi's 'Chef's Surprise'! She'd make it everyday if we had enough supplies! Nitô Hei," she addressed Mazda. "Mr. Oven's AI was recently updated. Maybe he's got a software bug."

Pinned down by her two sisters, Kiyoshi couldn't do much more than growl menacingly at the oven.

"I feel just fine, thank you very much," said the oven. "Which is a lot more than I can say for any Yamataian, Geshrin, or Nepleslian that ever touches the jellyfish in this dish here. You guys would be buried in lawsuits. Is this any way to run a restaurant?"

"Most of the humans don't touch the dish anyway, Mr. Oven…" said Brooke. "Wait, did he, err, it, say restaurant? What restaurant?"

Mokuren

Mazda sighed, now that was the problem.

"Mr. Oven, I have no doubt that this concoction is heavily hazardous to one's health and extremely unbalanced in terms of nutritional values, however I must inform you that we are not in a restaurant. You are on the YSS Celia, a military exploration ship where food rules are probably not as rigid. Whatever the matter, you are victim of a faulty AI update, but nothing we can't fix".

The Elysian turned to the three Nekos, "Any idea on who updated the AI? I might want to have a talk with him, I can probably restore the oven to the previous version, otherwise I'll need to stay up all night to get it to work".

Looking at himself, he gained proof that he had no sort of tool with which he could dismantle the oven if necessary and that he most likely would have needed to request access to the ship's computer system still without even knowing where he was supposed to sleep.

Oh well, Ms. Celia asked, after all.

Yangfan

"Well…" replied Jasmine with a worried look. "We upgraded the AI ourselves... Maybe we screwed up somewhere?"

Kiyoshi muttered Japanese curses under her breath.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. No one said anything about a military ship," said the oven. "What? You people expect me to figure that out for myself? I don't have any eyes! All I got are lousy spectra-scanners inside my heating cavities!"

"Can I let go of Kiyoshi now?" asked Brooke. "My arms are getting tired."

"Hold on," replied Jasmine. "Mr. Oven, will you help Kiyoshi finish her dish now?"

"One more question: The ship's crew is mostly Nekovalkyrja, correct?" inquired the oven.

"Yes," answered Jasmine.

"That's all I needed to know," said the oven as the hatch slid back into place. "Commencing cooking cycle… Boy, you Nekos will eat anything…"

"Kiyoshi, will you promise not to destroy Mr. Oven?"

Kiyoshi mumbled something in Japanese.

"That's a yes, right?" asked the oven.

"Yes," replied Jasmine as she let go of Kiyoshi. She then turned to Mazda. "Thank you for your help, Nitô Hei. I haven't seen you around the ship before. What's your name?"

Brooke returned her attention to her fruit salad. Meanwhile, Kiyoshi, still looking very angry, began slicing up a large piece of ham with a long kitchen knife. Scary.

Mokuren

Of course, how couldn't he think of it? An oven without eyes updated by amateurs, just what he needed.

"okay, since the problem has been cleared, I guess we can leave the oven as it is unless it causes problems again".

He throwed a glance at Jasmine... Amateurs. "Well, since his AI is strong enough to adapt his sanitary rules to the circumstances, I don't think you really screwed up something for good, nothing that will take a whole night to fix anyways".

He then flashed a kind smile, "Anyways, my name is Mazda Eschve, and it is odd you haven't seen me around, it must be... 10 minutes already I'm aboard"

One moment of relax, at last... Except for a casual glance at Kiyoshi every once in a while. One can never be sure...

Yangfan

Jasmine smiled. "In that case, welcome aboard! I am Dimitriov Jasmine. This is my sister Brooke. And that's my sister Kiyoshi over there with the knife."

"Jasmine, should we re-open the mess hall now that Mr. Oven's been fixed?" asked Brooke, while she peeled off the skin of another apple.

"Oh yeah! Thanks for reminding me, Brooke. I'll go and take down the sign," said Jasmine, walking out of the kitchen.

"Are you hungry, Nitô Hei Eschve?" asked Brooke. "We don't have much food prepared yet, since Mr. Oven was down. We have apples and… um, I guess we just have apples."

Mokuren

Eschve smiled back, simply taking an apple up, "Apples suit me just fine, thank you".

He took a bite off, must've been a while since he ate something, but it looked like things were beginning to settle... Or did he think too early?

"Are you three all sisters? Sorry for the silly question, I'm just not used to have Nekovalkyrie around... Yet"

Yangfan

Brooke nodded. "I guess, in a way. We were created at around the same time, as assistants to this ship's cook." She suddenly looked sad.

Kiyoshi was stuffing the ham into another compartment in the large oven.

"Now this is more like it," said the oven.

"Shut up," replied Kiyoshi. She looked sad as well.

Jasmine walked back into the kitchen. "Nitô Hei Eschve, Taii Watanabe is waiting for you out in the mess hall. She said that she's here to show you to your room." She looked around the kitchen. "Why the long faces, guys?"

Mokuren

It was quite impossible not to notice Mazda touched a rather sensitive subject; but what was it? The Nekos' origins or the ship's cook? And where was he, anyways?

"I guess it is because Mr. Oven isn't as troublesome anymore... But they'll get used to it, don't worry. And thank you, I should go see Watanabe immediately. Boy, do I need a rest..."

He then left the kitchen, only throwing one glance back to the cook assistants before starting to scan the mess hall for a Taii Watanabe.

Yangfan

Several Nekos and Geshrins were already in the mess hall, sipping milk and tea. Brooke brought out a large bowl of fruit salad, and placed it upon one of the buffet-styled tables. Some of the diners left their seats to sample it. They paid no attention to Mazda, save maybe a courteous nod from a few of them.

Mazda could also see a Neko in a gray uniform standing near the mess hall entrance, at about 15 yards away. She waved at him when she saw him.

The Neko appeared to be wearing a Taii pin.

Mokuren

Most of Mazda's attention was on the fruit and tea, even as he walked along, only at the latest he noticed the Neko waving at him, at which point he approached her, a relaxed salute in the end.

"Taii Watanabe, I assume? I'm the Nito Hei Eschve that needs lodging"

Yangfan

Taii Watanabe Kioko nodded. "Please follow me, Nito Hei Eschve."

Kioko led Mazda down several corridors, and eventually to a lift system. They stepped inside, and the elevator began to descend.

"We're heading down to the red-shirt dormitory area," said Kioko. "You'll be getting your own quarters. You should know that many of the crewmen have fought battles against Elysians in the past, so please inform Chusa Celia if any of them gives you any trouble."

The lift doors slid open, revealing a dimly lit corridor. The lights were probably dimmed here to create a more relaxed atmosphere.

Mokuren

Quite an odd feeling to be a former enemy and now part of their own ranks, Mazda smirked, but wonder if everyone else found it just as funny?

"Certainly I will, Taii".

The dim lights seemed to work on the Nito Hei, as if they suddenly remembered him that he has indeed crossed half the galaxy to reach for this far place. The thought of resting was already making him drowsy.

Yangfan

Following Kioko, Mazda walked up to one of the rooms. The door slid open as they approached.

The room was small, plain, and minimally furnished. There were a desk and a chair in one corner, some empty plastic containers stacked against one wall, and a large, round indentation on the floor, which provided enough sleeping space for two people.

"Here we are," said Kioko. "You might be getting a roommate in the near future, but you have the room to yourself for the moment. There is a datapad on your desk that contains your duty schedule and a map of the ship. Do you have any questions?"

Mokuren

Mazda shook his head, "Nothing my datapad won't be able to answer, thank you Taii Watanabe... Oh, wait. There is something after all..."

The elysian paused for a moment.

Yangfan

Kioko waited patiently.

There were sounds of the lift system being busy at work.

Looking over Kioko's shoulder, Mazda could see that some of the security crewmen had returned from their mission. Among them were giant trolls whose frames barely fitted into the wide corridor. Most of them headed straight for their rooms.

Mokuren

Mazda took just a glance at the huge crewmen, sounded like the place was quite busy in spite it was cast so far away from just about anything.

He quickly returned to Kioko, resuming where he interrupted, "Just out of curiosity, are there other elysians aboard?"

Yangfan

Kioko nodded. "Currently, there are two other Elysians onboard. One is Shosa Abriel Roma. She is the Chief Medical Officer and Biological Science Officer of this ship. She is, as you could probably tell from her name, a Patrician. So don't expect too much courtesy from her. I'm sure she would assist you with any medical problems that you might come down with in the future though. The other is Santô Hei Uuhai. She's our shuttle mechanic, and is a Plebeian like you. She doesn't talk much at all. In fact, I think she only speaks Seraphim, if that… Oh, and I do believe that another Elysian is transferring in via shuttle today or tomorrow, a Santô Hei Drake Starblade. He hasn't been assigned a room yet, but he might end up sharing this room with you. Does that answer your question, Nitô Hei?"

"Yes, thank you," replied Mazda.

"Get some sleep. You look tired," said Kioko. "Good night."

The door slid shut as Kioko turned and walked away.

* * * Hours later... * * *

Mazda awoke in the sunken nest in his room, a bit disoriented.

((OOC: Stefano, see you in the main thread. I'm closing this one to keep everything in chronological order.))

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back