Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Old writing bit revamped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obese Obscenity

Yes, this is to you, lady in the giant hummer
This is to you kid that could roll faster than walk
This is to you, when you find that you are wider than you are tall.

When i walk the streets, or drive around town, I cannot help but notice the sheer weight that we as humans exert on this earth. We drive vehicles that weigh 2, 3, and even 4 tons. Bigger is supposedly better in this crazy world that we call home. The people that drive some of these vehicles are not much better when it comes to weight either. Some of these people are in excess of 400 pounds. Yes, just short of 3 times what I weigh. They eat fast food, drive gas guzzlers, drink big gulps, and sleep in California King beds.

You tell your children that they are beautiful. It is a face that only a mother could love. When you kid looks like Shamu, you hardly have room to call him beautiful. Weight is not great, I am sorry to say, tell your kid to run a couple miles a day.

You complain that it is hard to breath, the seats are too small, that you need more space, and clothing is constricting. When you have 5 X's before the L, that might happen, it could be a sign telling you to cut back, have gastric bypass, liposuction or some other sort of weight reduction surgery.

Let me spell it out for you, you occupy a space 3 times as large as I am, and youre not as pretty as you would like to think, you cant show off your stomach like the skinny girls, and you would suffocate me in bed. Jogging wouldnt kill you would it? Stairmaster?

If only you would realize that by being fat, you further destroy the reputation we have as americans, from the lean mean fighting force that was to be feared, into something more akin to cattle for the slaughter, we may not be where we are today. Which is to say, America would not be so looked down upon in the court of the world.

You, Fatty McFat, should not be complaining about anything. WE the rest of the american populus, should complain more about you! Being fat is like smoking, with fewer side effects. Instead of poisoning our lungs, you destroy toilets, intead of cancer, you provide us with a reason to vomit when we step outside, and instead of carcinogens, you contain enough lard to grease a couple thousand pans. So hats off to you my friend, and laugh with your tubby gut. But realize that you are not entitled to more than one seat on an airplane, a car that is 10 times the size of mine, or a handicapped parking spot because you are so lazy and overweight that you cant walk 150 feet to the store.

As a closing note, if you are offended when we call you fat, maybe you should trim down a bit, and work on that chip sitting there on your shoulder. If little old me, insults you by saying you should cut back on the big mac and fries you just ordered in the mondo extra large size, maybe you shuld realize that you take up too much space, and trim down a bit.

You kid should not look like a school bus when he wears a yellow shirt, and your vehicle should not take up more than 1 whole lane.

This has been a friendly neighborhood rant from yours truly.

I think that if I wrote this Wes would delete it with the rationale of "Is this what we want visitors to see when they come upon our site?"

I'm not even close to overweight and this article still offends me. Not necessarily just the subject but the writing style and grammar errors as well. While I almost agree with the kind of people you're talking about, you make it a generalized message without considering circumstances. You handle your subject with the delicacy and maturity of a six month old child who's not yet developed motor skills. Equating cancer with someone's appearance offending you is simply stupid.

I'm all for ranting, sometimes people need it. But if you want your rant to be taken seriously, try, first of all, checking your grammar. It can obviously be a little freer than you might normally use but just running sentences on looks amateurish. There was a bit of potential with the descriptions of obese people who don't seem to realize that they're obese, but by generalizing the message you acheive nothing. Perhaps if you had an example of a supposedly abominable obese guy being an obnoxious jackass and conforming to the standards you set down here, calling them names would be funny; as it is now, it's just insensitive and it makes you look like the jackass in this situation.

I know you've been here for a little while, and I don't remember having a problem with you, so believe me, I'm not trying to say you're a bad person or anything like that, but the post demanded a response. Call me an uptight, humorless prude or something, but I find this neither funny nor clever.

Regarding possible deletion of this topic:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

That sums up my opinion on this matter.

I agree with Tom on this matter ... but this isn't a newspaper, and it isn't something that even makes sense to be on this site, let alone this forum. It's up to Wes to decide.

But I say we should still not remove it. Instead, it would be much better to, as a community or individually, express our opinions on the piece and establish some rules regarding such writing in this forum.

I'll start with my own -- this is nothing I've never heard before, and what I heard before was usually more well written and definitely more well informed. Go rant on livejournal -- bring your REAL writing here, not this stuff.

I wasn't suggesting deletion, merely providing my belief of what Wes would say if I had written the rant. He might be a bit more lenient in this instance, but frankly, because the immaturity and intolerance of the article reflects badly on the community as a whole, I could understand a case for deletion. But that's not what's important. Sorry to further draw the discussion off-topic but I had to explain myself.

I'm going to lock the topic, but I won't delete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back