• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Origin] Endurium

Kai

Retired Staff
Inactive Member
Endurium

This is not anywhere near the material Five submitted a month or so ago. it has been completely reworked by me.

Comments and criticism please. I would like help with this, as I'm no materials expert and could be horribly wrong on lots of things. If I am, please tell me, and PLEASE give me suggestions on how to fix it.

Well first off,
You list Endurium as

Armor Type: Heavy

But in the about section you say

Endurium is a lightweight,

Next is the fact that you are saying this is a Ceramic armor
A ceramic is an inorganic, non-metallic solid prepared by the action of heat and subsequent cooling.[1] Ceramic materials may have a crystalline or partly crystalline structure, or may be amorphous (e.g., a glass). Because most common ceramics are crystalline, the definition of ceramic is often restricted to inorganic crystalline materials, as opposed to the non-crystalline glasses.

This means ceramics are not flexible or warpable. Ceramics are rigid and crack or shatter. So I would recommend removing the ceramic comments from the armor if you are wanting it to be flexible.

can have other materials embedded in them

This would in fact change the chemical / structure of the Endurium and make it something else

Nash, I think what Kai is trying to say is that Endurium is a semi-composite. Like Chobham Armor. Instead of being made of just one material, it is multiple materials sandwiched together to make a stronger armor.

It is indeed a composite.

I'm not sure if it should be a ceramic just, in my mind, the way that some of the layers are made is just like a ceramic is made, and that was the closest I could think of in describing it. Do you have any suggestions?

With embedding stuff in it, it would only be in the top couple layers, or it would only be a very small part, usually, and would keep the overall integrity of the material.

As for it being 'Heavy' and 'Lightweight' at the same time, it means it gives a Heavy grade of protection, while being physically light in weight/mass.

This review is for: Endurium

The submitted article is/has…
[x] A general topic sentence under the title header
[x] Artwork (illustrations are strongly encouraged for all spacecraft and handheld items)
[x] Needed and/or useful to the setting
[x] In the proper format/template
[-] Proofread for spelling and grammar
[x] Easy to read and understand (not a lengthy mass of technobabble)
[-] Wikified (terms that could be a link should be a link)
[x] No red and/or broken links
[x] Reasonably scientifically plausible
[x] Reasonably neutral point of view

The submitted article is/does not…
[x] Overpowered (or cutting tech for a faction with little or no roleplay)
[x] Obtusely redundant
[x] Contain copy pasta descriptions of systems or interior compartments
[x] Unauthorized by faction managers or player-controlled corporation
[x] Contain references to IC events that have not occurred (SM must authorize retcons)
[x] Use second-person language (“you” or “your”) unless it is an instructional guide aimed at players.
[x] Use bombastic language (“virtually immune,” “nearly indestructible,” “insanely powerful,” “horrible effects”)
[x] Use an unbalanced header/text ratio (many headers but sections are one-liners)
[x] Use major unapproved sub-articles that should be submitted separately
[-] Lacking Detail
[x] Images hosted on sites other than stararmy.com (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc are not allowed)

The article has…
[na] Speeds in compliance with the Starship Speed Standard, if applicable
[na] Damage Capacity and Damage Ratings in compliance with the DR Guidelines
[-] The in-character year of creation/manufacture. (Should be current year. Future years not allowed).

[x] The Standard Product Nomenclature System, if applicable.

Summary
Note here if any serious issues are present. These are the issues that will hold up approval.
** Short description of the issue. If a longer explanation is needed, put it in Notes.

Spelled wrong, flexibile
Grammar composite threads, Including carbon including should not be capitalized

Missing year of creation

Under uses you say it can be used for doors. But under limitations you say that Endurium is not effective in less than 1 inch thickness. So what kind of doors are you talking about?

Notes
This field is for any extra description needed for the issues stated above or (as the name suggests) and additional notes you wish to state in the record regarding the item.

Remove the ceramic references, you've already said it is a composite armor made with layers, it removes the fragile concept of ceramics.

I have a concern that a lightweight material is going to provide an armor equivalent to the most advanced materials. As currently written under the damage rules you are trying to get the top armor with the low end speed adjustment.

Heavy Yamataium, Zesuaium, Nerimium 1.0 SP
Light Armor Durandium, Carbon Ring, Aerudirn +.05c STL .425c

Also under the armor rules a ship can only have one armor rating, but you say Endurium has to be applied to another material.

Under repair you say. "When Endurium is damaged, it can be repaired by patching the sections of plate, which involves cutting anchor points into the armor and filling it with layers of ceramics and composites. A patch is just as strong as the original piece would have been, but acts as a separate plate instead of a piece of the original. " So how do you get the patch to attach, and bond?

I'm not going to lie to you. Yes, I'm trying to get heavy armor without the speed reduction. If this is impossible, I'd go down to medium defense but still keep the lighter weight.

I have proofread it, added the year it was created, wikified anything that wasn't already wikified that needed wikifying.

As for the Armor rating, when Endurium is used as an armor, it is the armor rating. whatever is used as the backing is not an armor, simply a backing to stiffen the material, and does not add to the effective DR.

Also changed it from large plates to much smaller tiles, which are simply replaced as opposed to patching the darn stuff.

The precedent for armor has been if you want the heavier protection, you sacrifice speed. As I am unwilling to break that precedent, because then everyone will want to make armor that gives heavy protection but allows the higher speeds.

So you need to decide which class you are wanting and adjust accordingly.

Kai, I suggest that we make it some kind of Medium Armor.

For balance, y'know. And because no-one makes Medium Armor.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back