Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Origin] Handheld Gauss Rifle

Kai

Retired Staff
Inactive Member
Handheld Gauss Rifle

a Kickass PA rifle, designed to be sold to militaries, mostly, although it is available to Civilians. the Price tag means its a bit out of range for most Civvies though.

Because of how Origin is, Militaries can obviously get it cheaper than the suggested price.

Looks pretty good, and has goddamn beautiful art. Just two issues, though.

1. It has no DR listed, nor any damage descriptions.

2. An infantry rifle with a range and muzzle velocity that high are bound to have a A LOT of recoil. Is there anything being done to remedy this or is it assumed that your users will be either Nekovalkryja or extensively enhanced natural species?

Its listed as a Gauss rifle, which implies it uses magnetics to propel the round, which typically makes it recoiless.

It has a DR listed. It is listed at ADR 4.

This rifle is also limited to PA's and highly enhanced soldiers. It does indeed have enough kick to knock most people to the ground, as well as injuring them.

Just because it uses magnetics does not mean there is no feedback of force, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, after all. It's just dispersed in who knows how many ways. (certainly more than I know since I don't actually make real guns.)

I took a look at your rifle's muzzle velocity and your delivered damage rating and I found it to be somewhat questionable in relation to already approved technology that is in the same size-class and intended application;

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=lo ... ons:ek_yra

To be honest, either the submitted rifle needs to have a damage reduction, or the pre-existing item linked would need a damage increase to make sense in relation to the proposed statistics.

The Reason the Damage rating is so high for this is the actual rounds; it uses large Depleted Uranium rounds, which are dense, hard, and self-sharpening.

Also, The Velocity and power was done with this: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=stararmy:lasr in mind, which has higher DR than your gun, yet much lower muzzle velocity.

Perhaps you should try to fix your gun? because at what you have on that page that gun shoots way too fast for way too little damage.

True, but I was using something called restraint, which was imposed on me by review staff.

I think this requires a yellow or blue name to come along and give us some judgment regarding the damage ratings involved, especially since the Lorath rifle is capable of firing a wide range of munitions, including DU and Nerimium.

DocTomoe said:
True, but I was using something called restraint, which was imposed on me by review staff.

I think this requires a yellow or blue name to come along and give us some judgment regarding the damage ratings involved, especially since the Lorath rifle is capable of firing a wide range of munitions, including DU and Nerimium.

This is essentially the Main gun from an Abrams, shrunken down, and with a faster ROF. The damage makes sense

Ok. The LASR's damage rating has yet to be converted to the new system. Medium, as I recall was about four, or five on the old scale. And rounded down to the new system it is 2.5, which is either ADR 3, or 2. Which would go well with the low muzzle velocity. However, the LASR is not on trial here.

The FN SCAR, a IRL Assault Rifle has more then half this weapon's muzzle velocity and some change (2870 fps) plus, it uses ammunition coming close to this already, 7.62x51mm. As it stands, the velocity is too low to necessitate the high damage, even with the DU munitions. Let alone the very high ROF which, I am again sorry to say makes me scratch my head at in regards to the model you based it off of. You're putting out 5,000 FPS, which is 1,546 m/s. If a modern rifle has nearly as much kick as this, then your damage is too high.

I have Adjusted the DR and Velocity to be more proper, as well as reduced the ROF for Sanity's sake.

I also added in something I had forgotten; Power. The Magazines now also contain rechargeable batteries to fire the rounds.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back