• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

[Origin] Starlyte Business 'jet'

Kai

Retired Staff
Inactive Member
Starlyte

Look! Look! I made something! It doesn't have guns or shields and it's primary purpose is NOT to kill things! OMG!

Anyway, I present for you Origin's interpretation of the business jet concept, for SARP use.

Better give it some shields or it will be a short trip, approaching speeds of .35c to be able to fold (gee queue the flux capacitor) you are travelling more that 29,000 miles a second, interplanetary dust will destroy the ship. It doesn't need really strong shields but it needs something to protect it.

It protects itself by being made primarily from armor-grade materials that can withstand those kind of impacts (It has been theorized that some of the particles orbiting earth can reach around that velocity, and modern spacecraft seem to be able to withstand it) The primary focus of the craft is it's simplicity; the less systems it has, the less there is to break, the less that needs to be maintained, and the less that needs to be lugged around.

As for the run up; I thought it was a neat mechanic to give the ship some flavor and make it more interesting than simply pushing a button to go FTL.

You could have it just generate a "navigation bubble" shield used just for impacts, instead of something for defense. Something that's simple.

Which I like Kai, but the first thing that came to my mind was Doc Brown saying how the Delorean had to get up to 88 miles an hour.

And as for shielding what Doshii said.

I don't know of any space debris traveling at 29,000 miles a second. The space shuttle (retired) traveled at 17,500 miles per hour or roughly 4.86 miles a second.

I added some light energy shielding. I'm not exactly happy about it, but, ehh.

anything else?

Last post was the tenth. It is now the 28'th. I have done everything asked of the tech mods up to this point, so, are there any other concerns with this submission, or is it just the holiday season keeping it up?

Not bad for short trips. Obviously not meant for travelling long distances, after all it would take 50 hours to go from Yamatai to New Nepleslia.

Approved

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…