• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Approved Submission [Ottyo] Automatic Squad Assault Weapon "Vicker's"

CadetNewb

Submission Type: Automatic Rotary Railgun
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=royal_defense_initiative:automatic_support_weapon_vickers

Faction:
FM Approved: Yes
Faction requires art: No

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles: No
Contains New art: No
Previously Submitted: No

Notes:

In killability, this is basically the equivalent of War Machine's shoulder mounted gun, except it's in rifle form by default and carried by a single soldier. It can be modified to fit on the shoulder, but will also be commonly used on vehicles too.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm not sure it's appropriate, for reasons of originality and legality, to name a SARP weapon something confusingly similar to a real-life corporation name (Vickers Limited, although it was eventually merged into BAE Systems Land & Armament). It seems like this is some sort of tribute to the Vickers machine gun of WW1. Is there not some Ottyo-language name you can give it instead?

I did think about it a bit, and since the company is long gone, having been eaten up by BAE, and the copyright on the Vickers Machine Gun is well expired too, I thought it'd be safe to do so. Even then, there is the addition of the apostrophe to the name of this submission. The original founder of the company was named "Edward Vickers", with the 's' at the end being part of the name, rather than an addition to turn it into a possessive noun.

The selection of the name was deliberate. Yes, the name is a tribute to the Vickers Machine Gun, and yes, it is not original naming. I still chose to go with this, as In-Character, the Ottyo are deliberately mimicking the British Empire for their own reasons. OOC, I'm having it as part of the narrative that I've thought up for them.

If it's still too close for comfort, say so and I'll figure something out.

Unless anyone has objections, this submission will be approved in 3 days.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back