• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Approved Submission [Ottyo] Miasma

CadetNewb

Submission Type: Area ECM/Conealment
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=royal_defense_initiative:miasma

Faction:
FM Approveal: Yes
Faction Art Requirement: No

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles: No
Contains New Art: No
Previously Submitted: No

Notes:

This is meant to be used as a tool by GMs to create a mood, provoking a Silent-Hill like feeling or even be used to start off a 'Nam style 'Mad Minute' of combat. At the same time, it's also to simultaneously give this faction a particular flavor. In it, visibility and sensor range becomes severely limited in this fog-like obscurant, depending on the density of the material present. However, I haven't added any rough ranges for that in yet, which is on me, so that's something to consider. I feel that 100m and less would be good during typical use, with particularly dense areas limiting visibility to just a 5 meter radius, and with only 10 or 15m of sensor range. To note, there's also a lack of an About section at this time - I'm currently having a hard time figuring out what to put in it.

For this, I'd like criticism focusing on potential problems it could create in particular, since it would essentially be a game-changer when deployed by the GMs.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is meant to be used as a tool by GMs
Because it's tech, it's not exclusively a GM tool. Any technology could just as easily be used by a player character. Even before I read the article, this sentence alone had me worried it will be overpowered.

@Wes

I seriously doubt that any player character would ever be able to use this in a manner like that - it's some tech for an antagonistic NPC faction, and by nature isn't meant for PC use. On top of that, it comes out of a creature's behind.

This is why we have a review process, I will be posting my findings and concerns when my review is complete.

[-] Lacking Detail

"main hosts are constantly on the move" what are the hosts? what environs can they survive, and how do they move, need some basic details about them.

"Though they require organisms to spread and maintain" ... "Miasma may be spread through use of artillery shells and other delivery methods." If Miasma requires the host organisms then how can it be spread by an artillery shell. The detonation would most likely kill them. What are the other delivery methods.

"the miasma itself remains in place for a period of time even after its genesis source is destroyed." article should include how long the Miasma lasts after the source is destroyed. Can be a range depending on density.

The Standard version of Miasma I think is fine ones the concerns above are dealt with. That version I can see being effective when dealing with the RDI to create a environment with challenges.

I have issues with a wispy system being effective against high energy items.

It takes 3m of lead or concrete to stop a Gamma ray, Neutrinos pass through the earth without difficulty.

The same is true for the other sensors.

I can make changes to get rid of the problem spots you've covered easily, but as for the creatures and deployment methods themselves, I plan to submit separately. The Miasma would essentially be a sub-article for all the others after all, and it seemed to make more sense to get this out of the way first to avoid having the submissions be loaded with extras.

Sounds good, make those changes so we can move this forward.

I'm sorry for the delay, but I've gone ahead and added in some rough ranges for visibility, as well as communication and sensor ranges under the Standard type section, with the Advanced type following the same general 'rules'. I've changed the wording a little on the hosts and dispersal methods to put a little more detail, indicating that there are several out there, but without putting too much detail. I hope that's ok?

In regards to the Advanced Type - it's meant to prevent communications with ships in orbit, as well as accurate orbital fire. To do this, I thought that using artificially produced exotic materials that refracted or distorted the high energy transmissions and sensor pings used would be enough. Rather than stopping them, it disrupts the things enough that they no longer are comprehensible. Would this do?

Works for me. Since it distorts the high energy items, rather than stop them that is easier to accept.

APPROVED>

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…