• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

'Peeper' Sensor Monocle

Overall I like it. Its interesting.

My only concern would be the controlling it by eye movement. Since most species have binocular eyes. How does the Peeper know when to respond to eye movement intended to control it, versus eye movement because the wearer happens to be looking around?

Hey Doc, like what you added. I knew about the IRL applications being used, that's why I was curious how the Peeper was going to address that.

Sensor Function

The 'Peeper' incorporates many functions which have been commonly found in cybernetic eyes such as the eye used by the Nepleslian doctor Miles Gunn, basic sensors , and even mines. Using these sources of inspiration, the United Manufacturing Cooperative developed the 'Peeper' sensor package.

Using available technology, and developing some technology specific for the project, the 'Peeper' has been engineered to include the following sensor systems…
Passive Multi-Electromagnetic Sensor

Inspired by the Directional Explosive Sentry Unit, this sensor is used to passively monitor multiple forms of electromagnetic radiation. This passive sensor is capable of receiving and interpreting visible light, radio waves, infrared, ultraviolet, thermal infrared, microwaves, and transmitted radio waves, and even x-rays. To achieve a compact size profile, Nepleslian cybernetic technology was applied to optimize power conservation, system architecture, and cost effective component application. Due to size reduction, this system has suffered a slight reduction in resolution in ranges exceeding fifty-yards when attempting to interpret thermal signatures, microwaves, and radio waves.
Active Sensor System

Applying an active scanning solution, the 'Peeper' has been designed to incorporate a series of small emitter diodes which have been designed to project various portions of the electromagnetic spectrum, which are then detected by the passive-sensor. Various levels of the visible spectrum of light are transmitted by several diodes, a weak microwave diode is included, and a very low power x-ray emitter diode has been incorporated into the active sensor system.
Quantum Sensor System

Using technology found in NovaCorp and Motoyoshi Fleetyard products… then dumbing down the technology to make it compact, the 'Quantum Sensor System' of the 'Peeper' is something which is a marvel… while being rather dinky as some may say.

The quantum sensor has cut out many of the resolution enhancing systems, active tracking, and a sum of precision data gathering. Yet it does function, simply by monitoring bosons, yet this simple monitoring leads to some interference from common-place sources as focused light, and ambient radiation. However, the sensor maintains the capability to identify 'wakes' of disturbances and interpret them into sensor data. This monitoring system allows detection of the following;

Gravitational disturbances; gravitic/gravimetric device usage, gravitational disturbances
Aether tapping
Intense electromagnetic disturbance and fields
Virtual-collision disturbances caused by objects moving in a phased state

Despite the wide range of function, the sensor still has a major down-fall… the best image which the sensor can deliver is something which looks like a 'tie-dye' rendition of what there is to see. Many test users describe the image as 'psychedelic' and 'chaotic', yet were able to positively identify when disturbances took place 85% of the time… just not able exactly identify the cause of the disturbances.

A 25 KS quarter sized aether sensor? This is nuts! I don't see why this was approved (other than Soresu self-serving his faction) and I'm seriously considering revoking it. Putting starship grade sensors on people's eyepieces is not good for the RP. Not to mention there's no ranges listed (they should be short) other than:
slight reduction in resolution in ranges exceeding fifty-yards

Wes, how small can aether sensors get? Sensors generally aren't that complex, and simple ones can be made fairly compact.

In essence, all these other sensors can fit into the monocle. What makes an aether sensor so different?

Admittedly, this is more of a personal question than one related to the submission... wiki information on aether tech is rather vague.

Self-serving my faction? Dude, when was the last time I did anything for the UOC? Let alone I said, "Well, I'm not in charge of it anymore. Meaning, a long vacation from it." Frankly, you crossed a line, and insulted me, sir. I could say many things in response, but I have the respect, not to and to shrug that off at that. But I did not self-serve, I couldn't considering I've distanced myself from the UOC a great deal more or less cutting ties with it beyond the needs of a almost NPC of mine on Maras.

Enough of this from me. And let's have Doc explain himself on this issue before it is further dug into.

You are a recent (not current?) FM of the UOC and you can't see how approving a UOC tech submission is self-serving, Soresu? It's the same as Wes approving hobo's submission, which has bit him in the butt a time or two. I'm not saying that what you guys do is necessarily a bad thing, but to be all offended that it was called out as "self-serving" is ludicrous.

Revolver said:
You are a recent (not current?) FM of the UOC and you can't see how approving a UOC tech submission is self-serving, Soresu? It's the same as Wes approving hobo's submission, which has bit him in the butt a time or two. I'm not saying that what you guys do is necessarily a bad thing, but to be all offended that it was called out as "self-serving" is ludicrous.

I never even wanted the position, Revolver, and have said so, many a time. I'd rather we avoid further issues in here, and said so more or less in my last post. Since really, forum drama isn't anyone's bag, and no one likes it.

That is my concern considering I'd rather things keep running smoothly in here. I've been trying to get ahold of Tomoe to drag him in here, and explain the issue that was brought up, but he isn't around atm.

But, I can understand where you are coming from in regards to the FM thing. I just never saw it like that, at all considering I try to pride myself on being impartial. :\

So if they can't be made that small, how do you propose that your own armor detect this? There isn't room anywhere in a Mindy or anything close for a "nice big chunky starship grade sensor" (since you stated it's starship grade - look at the range - is it?)... And then you have to consider the sensor quality - which pales in comparison to military kit.

So what you're saying is that civilians irl wouldn't have affordable... Say... GPS... Or bonoculars... And we wouldn't be able to use things like radios or say portable computer or even telephones. Yikes!

Eventually just about everything the military get (shy of weapons naturally) civilians eventually get to play with, regardless of where or when.

Your panic is unfounded, Wes - Let alone your call that this is "self-serving" submission- Soresu has repeated many times he has quit as faction manager of the UOC. Go ahead: Ask him.

wat.png

That's now Kim's job.
He left 2 months ago.
Get the net!

Then there's the fact he doesn't have any active characters or plotships in the UOC.

In what way is this self-serving? Please clarify; Even I don't have characters in the UOC.

Issue 1, Cost:

1. Due to the small size of the item there is not much time involved in creating the item utilizing modern femto-scopic and pico-scopic construction techniques which do not actually consume any valuable matter for the production process. So, the cost purely is to offset distribution needs and a modest tiny profit.

Issue 2, The Sensor Systems:

1. Quantum Detection:

The sensor device used in the 'Peeper' monocle which allows for quantum disturbance detection is a low resolution passive sensor. A user can not see well with it, what the user can see can't be identified easily, and any sort of interference from secondary disruptive sources would render the sensor readings absolutely unreliable.

Sensors images are generated through the passive observation of the values of local gravitational fields, electromagnetic influences, quantum states, and similar phenomena. Due to the wide range of influences on this sensor, many things can influence it to produce false images or even to just have a bad picture.

To put it simply, the thing is cheap, shoddy, and generic for the purpose of quantum monitoring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAuhlFZdHTY This video crudely sums up the resolution of the image.

2. Quality & Function:

Wesley, there are sensors in existence at this time which deliver the majority of the 'Peeper' functions which can be packaged in a digital-camera sized device, or even smaller in many cases. Infrared, radioscopy imaging, and even thermal imaging is done on the cheap now in small packages. Easily these devices can be compacted down to this size in the setting.

As for function, the 'Peeper' monitors the electromagnetic spectrum, waves of particles moving at the speed of light from any given location. So long as there is not a line of sight issue, there should not be any sensor resolution reduction to the systems other than those mentioned (thermal signatures, microwaves, and radio waves).

Issue 3, Soresu:

1, Faction & Item Approval:

He has not been handling the UOC for quite some time, and when I do make a submission for the UOC or even for the Lorath, he has made it his business to attempt to avoid the technology submission in question for the most part to avoid this very accusation which you have made. He only approved the Peeper because no one, including you Wes, made the effort to touch the submission in some time (Exceeding a week). People get tired of waiting, Soresu understands this, so he did his job which you placed upon him.

Along with this, the item in question was mostly developed by the Lorath Matriarchy and not the UOC in proper. The Matriarchy continued their development and production of the Peeper through the UMC which is a non-government entity. In truth, the item in question is not something which is a part of Soresu's former faction, but is merely available. Additionally, these sensor devices are available internationally, including Yamatai.

Shippable To: All interested parties
Producible By: All interested parties, with 5 HS/KS payable to United Manufacturing Cooperative

2, Accusation:

Excuse me, but how can you accuse Soresu of being self-serving to the UOC when he don't even concern himself with their affairs? Additionally, the statement of being 'self serving' coming from you Wes is kind of awkward considering that the majority of your tech submissions are auto-approved by yourself or are driven through by sheer force of admin will. I don't mean this as an insult to you Wes, it is your every right to go about such a thing since you do own this sandbox, but it just is troubling to have you scold someone who tried to do their job which you gave them when it seems the slightest bit like they're just maybe allowing something good for everyone to pass through.

I apologize in advance if you feel offended, but it is just the observer's standpoint and if I am wrong I am sorry.

Issue 2, The Sensor Systems:

1. Quantum Detection:

The sensor device used in the 'Peeper' monocle which allows for quantum disturbance detection is a low resolution passive sensor. A user can not see well with it, what the user can see can't be identified easily, and any sort of interference from secondary disruptive sources would render the sensor readings absolutely unreliable.

Sensors images are generated through the passive observation of the values of local gravitational fields, electromagnetic influences, quantum states, and similar phenomena. Due to the wide range of influences on this sensor, many things can influence it to produce false images or even to just have a bad picture.

To put it simply, the thing is cheap, shoddy, and generic for the purpose of quantum monitoring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAuhlFZdHTY This video crudely sums up the resolution of the image.

2. Quality & Function:

Wesley, there are sensors in existence at this time which deliver the majority of the 'Peeper' functions which can be packaged in a digital-camera sized device, or even smaller in many cases. Infrared, radioscopy imaging, and even thermal imaging is done on the cheap now in small packages. Easily these devices can be compacted down to this size in the setting.

As for function, the 'Peeper' monitors the electromagnetic spectrum, waves of particles moving at the speed of light from any given location. So long as there is not a line of sight issue, there should not be any sensor resolution reduction to the systems other than those mentioned (thermal signatures, microwaves, and radio waves).

Please add the above to the article, then.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back