• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Resolved Please allow all GMs access to moderator tools for plot subforums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim

スター軍の司書
@Wes

We would like the ability to access some light moderation tools within our respective plot subforums. We see that another GM has this ability and we think it would be a good idea to be able to lock/delete/edit threads if we need to without having to add one more thing to your plate to do. This would be really helpful, thanks in advance!

I'm not so sure GMs should have the right to delete threads nor edit them (beyond maybe their own posts, if they can't already). The idea of having the tool to lock threads, however, is definitely good as it allows mods the tools to lock old threads that are in boards that aren't hard to access. This would help cut down the chance of bots potentially slipping in or trolls posting random stuff in ended threads... but the thing of deletion and editing seems a bit far, considering that it could potentially see threads deleted in someone raging or by accident, which creates problems.

Just my two cents. I do like the idea of GMs getting the ability to lock their own threads, just not the other bits.

Edit: there's also the fact a GM could delete a post that the player was proud of but didn't save/mention it to them so they could save it. Just seems smart to leave editing and deletion between staff and players.

Personally, I don't really see the point in having access to the powers. Just seems like a way for people to stop roleplay they don't like or let other players add to the story that 'wasn't intended' to happen. These things should be worked out in OOC threads, where it can usually be resolved to some extent, instead of using the heavy hand of editing posts or locking threads that's inherently unfair for the players involved. And if it can't be resolved, then staff should get involved and go about doing what being suggested, either locking threads or editing if necessary.

I do agree with Legix's suggestion that old threads (maybe 6+ months since last activity?) should get locked, though I think this could be fixed with timers, like how you can't edit posts after a while. I don't know whether that would work though, because I have no idea how the admin side of the site works.

I'm pretty sure it's been stated in public that being a GM doesn't always come with mod powers over your forum anymore, but I've also personally been told such by staff members. The reasoning given to me makes complete sense as to why everyone does not get such power (whatever the reason is now — or if it's even the same — is up to staff to share, though).

PS: Seems like kind of a private topic for the FM/GM board.

I don't think GM should have moderator tools at all. Actually, unless your site wide staff, I think moderators should only have the tools for their area. Ntse in the submissions forum and character in the approval section. Done.

I have to set up each user's permissions individually so just PM me if you're a GM and feel that you need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back