• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Power Armor Combat Speeds

OsakanOne

Inactive Member
Retired Member
Hey all, me again causing trouble:

What are the typical speeds for Power Armor in both atmospheric and Space combat?

I see these huge maximum speeds but I know for a fact that at those speeds, targeting would honestly impossible unless you were in an absolutely perfect line-up with your target.

Even for a computer, calculating the proper firing solution would be useless: By the time you have a solution that remains accurate for a 10th of a second window, your target is already 30 windows ahead and the whole scenario could have changed entirely.

But it's not just that:

I'm looking at Armor acceleration and this near-instant acceleration stuff, even on armors that aren't DESIGNED to go quickly. lol wut?

Moar gravity =/= faster acceleration: Moar gravity = harder to stop, since you're falling in your designated direction. Falling is not a precise science: you fall roughly in a direction and thrusters correct you and keep you stable along with use of your limbs and from the sound of what phycists are saying: Gravity in itself isn't an especially precice science either, because there are lots of variables nobody understands.

If the Higg's particle is real, they say it likes to disperse through all plains of space/time, hence why gravity is the weakest physical force.

I'm imagining half of the playerbase think armor combat takes place at the highest speeds the armor is capable of and I'm thinking they need a new design field stating the risks of passing specific speeds somewhere (for example, spinal damage, hemorrhaging, pressure-based bruising, etc)

It just feels like a headache.

Someone else jump in here and explain how all this magical crap works while I go get a coffee.
Thanks for any explanations in advance. Means the world to someone as confused as I am who wants to really get into armor development and experience what kind of stuff all sides have to put up with.

Armors rarely pass 1000 mph unless they're trying to go somewhere or chase someone who's running, I'd think. Typically armor pilots would approach the targets at high speed then slow down to a speed they could aim and fight at.

As for gravity, most Star Army armors totally ignore external gravity forces because of their distortion-based propulsion systems.

I figure as much (since Gravity is by definition a distortion of space).

Do you think it would be worth-while to produce a section on Armor Combat similar to the section on General Space Combat so armor-pilots have an idea of how the combat works and what to look out for?

If I wanted to start something like this, who would I need to talk to?

It'd be simple: just post it in the submissions forum.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn moreโ€ฆ