• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

[Project THOUGHT/KFY]Ke-M12-E3301 Weapon Subcomputer

Toshiro

Inactive Member
Ke-M12-E3301 Weapon Subcomputer

This is a small subsystem which I've completed, intended for inclusion in most Kirie/Keiko weapons. It effectively allows the weapon to be controlled and managed by thought rather than by messing with buttons for firing modes, and contains features that keep the weapon from firing in enemy hands or in specific situations. Some options can be overriden; and in handheld weapons, physical triggers are still the default (but can be overriden for telepathic firing).

Why do the weapons require a sub-computer? Thought uses a CIES, CIES is built for supporting vessels – frigates, corvettes, gunboats, and shuttles.

It should have more than enough computational power to handle the fire control aspects of the weapons.

It would seem to me that what you are trying to achieve would be better served without adding another computer.

the Weapon Subcomputer is designed to allow a pilot to telepathically manage the modes, safety, of their weapon.

Not all SAoY soldiers are Telepathic, so those who aren't can't control the weapons?

Also if you are in an area where the enemy has a PSC field or ADN device to inhibit telepathy, your system is effectively jammed.

You want it to make the weapons so that the enemy can't pick them up and use them. A simpler mechanism would be a physical connection between the weapon and the Mecha. Example, a weapon intended to be wielded in the mecha hands would have contacts that when held would connect with the hand and the computer. Then if an enemy happens to grab the weapon. its useless to them except as a club.

Those who aren't a digital-brained race can't control the THOUGHT Armor's Pilot Pod in the first place, at least not current ones. That's where the telepathic part comes in...though it's more that the races able to use the Thought Armor are capable of telepathy than it being used. I've checked my wording and removed mention of actual telepathy. The communication between the weapon and the Thought Armor itself is NOT telepathic in nature, and therefore is not altered by PSC/ADN. The submission is specific about the types of communication the system uses, with a section dedicated to it.

If a future model of Pilot Pod is rendered compatible with non-digital brained/non-telepathic races, then this weapon can be used by those models as well.

Much of the computational power IS handled by the CIES -- the weapon handles a minimalist amount of functionality, effectively sampling data on the weapon for the CIES and enacting the CIES' will on the weapon on which it is installed. However, there must be enough active processing in the weapon for it to say "Hey, you aren't an ally, I'm not firing" and other such things. Relying on CIES management alone would make them useful to the Mishhu, who have captured SAoY tech.

The reason I am not using a handplug (which was heavily considered) is because I am trying to avoid too much similarity to Mobile Suit Gundam, as well as the fact that using a hand connection prevents a few things like being able to use the fingers to minutely adjust aim since the weapon is linked to the palm -- as well as the fact the weapon can't be left behind on overload as a trap or as a makeshift bomb.

So most Yamataian's can't use this because most do not opt for Telepathy.

But if that's the case then why does the pilot pod say this?

If you are scanning the mind, then wouldn't that give you the means to link to non-telepathic digital minds?

The requirement for the Thought Armor is to have a digital (NH-series) brain. Yamataians meet this criteria.

Also, Yamataians do have telepathy, and had telepathy for as long as I can remember, unless you changed it as Admins at some point along the RP. While it isn't the requirement for the Thought Armor, it corresponds to having a digital brain.

That's just one of the things the Yamataian body has along with some other special features like telepathy/digital minds which can handle data...
Taken straight from the Yamataian Species Wiki

While I could have had Nepleslians' and other brains read like in a Kylie or Mindy 3A, I can't implant panoramic vision or multi-dimensional sound into the mind of a Nepleslian because they lack the digital brain. That was shot down by other people early on. I want there to be a non-exclusive Thought Armor, but it wouldn't be as advanced.

The page says that, but in actual application, it is not the case.

Eucharis has 4 NH-22C Yamataians, only 2 have Telepathy in their skills

21st has 2 NH-22C's neither has Telepathy.

Aeon has 5 NH-22C's none has Telepathy.

So while it is an option, the majority of the players are not giving their NH-22C's the ability. 2 out of 11 = 18.18% of characters in these three plots could use The Thought gear. Even though they have digital brains.

If this is to be considered typical of other Yamataian's, then predominantly only Nekos and 18% of NH-22C's could use your thought system.

As I keep trying to tell you, and this is the third time in this thread:

The requirement for piloting a Thought Armor is to have a Digital Brain. Telepathy is not particularly relevant, and I'm sorry my typo even got the thought in your mind.

For the record then you should not have said
If a future model of Pilot Pod is rendered compatible with non-digital brained/non-telepathic races, then this weapon can be used by those models as well.
in your first reply as this was stating that both were conditions.

How big is this device? You say it can fit in the grip of a weapon? But are we talking mecha scaled weapons or personnel scaled.

Laser
Laser is a line of sight system, using it to control a weapon would be problematic, if it is in the grip of the weapon, when its held how would the laser beam work? If its in a weapon that deploys and moves, the armor and the weapon have to maintain that signal lock. Which depending on the weapon could cause problems.

Other wise I don't see any major issues.

Laser is an option and depends on the weapon, though it was put in more as a backup instead of anything else. I've removed it.

The computer is particularly small, able to fit in the grip of a mecha scale weapon and generally represented as a long and narrow circuit board with a few chips or whatever the YE-era equivalent is. It may also have a few pieces of extra hardware for communication, but given the size of datapads, it's nothing implausible.

It is not particularly powerful, and isn't even remotely a match for an AIES -- most actual computing is handled by the CIES save for critical things such as identifying if orders to discharge come from a valid source, if its safety is on, etc. Mostly it relays information from the weapon and lets the CIES handle details, but what functions it does handle are important.

Just for the record: Yamataians can use telepathy at the same skill level as Nekovalkyrja.

Never said it wasn't plausible Toshiro, just wanted an idea of how large this device was.

Approved.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…