• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Senate: Defeated Proposal 102: Restoration Legislation

Andrew

SARPiverse Culture Dreamer
Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
FM of Tsenlan
🌸 FM of Yamatai
Submissions Reviewer
🎖️ Game Master
Katsuko stood up. "I propose the following...."

Purpose:

1. To direct the Yamatai Star Empire towards recovery efforts. We have been at War since YE 31. We need a clear and concise direction towards recovery.

2. To mandate that the Senate focus on legislations that contribute to recovery efforts for the next year. (Emergency measures being the exception.)

Proposal:

1. To create a temporary department within the government. 'The Department for Imperial Restoration' (Consisting of both civilian and military personnel) which acts as an umbrella for all efforts towards the Empire's Recovery Efforts that reports directly to the Empress and acts as an oversight for all inter-department issues relating to recovery.

2. To support and provide funding for restoration of infrastructure and self-sufficiency within the Empire. Providing funding for efforts to improve the quality of life of our citizens and soldiers

3. To direct funding towards the improvement of defenses in areas that have shown vulnerability during the war.

Hanako made a motion to change:

Instead of a new department, can this be a division of the existing Department of Land and Homes? I do not think we should create redundant departments of the government.

Wes said:
Hanako made a motion to change:

Instead of a new department, can this be a division of the existing Department of Land and Homes? I do not think we should create redundant departments of the government.

"I believe the body should be able to interact across departments. A lot more than land and homes needs to be restored. Unless you believe that a mandate could be given to the Department of Land and Homes that would permit it to umbrella all recovery efforts?" Katsuko offered, "We have come to a vital time, the NMX are in decline but you never know what the future brings. The losses we have suffered must never happen again."

"I vote No,"

"By mandating the senate focus on one single issue, you are essentially trying to gridlock us. We have only recently been given the freedom to bring up any issue we desire for progressive change to our conditions with the reasonable expectation that our votes be heard and counted even should they be unpopular and we refuse to be silenced by this blatant attempt to curtail it."

"In order to support this bill, the removal of this narrowing of the Senate's power must be removed; I motion to remove article 2 of this proposal, which would render the senate ineffective for a year."

Governor Tokiko of Tatiana votes "no" with comment.

"Leave recovery up to system-level jurisdictions. We know how best to direct efforts to rebuild infrastructure and put our worlds back on the path to prosperity. Central control tends to ignore the needs of specific planetary ecologies."

I vote no as well. This function need not take such a level of precedent over all other matters, when we are already capable of managing the situation.

Gallant said:
"I vote No,"

"By mandating the senate focus on one single issue, you are essentially trying to gridlock us. We have only recently been given the freedom to bring up any issue we desire for progressive change to our conditions with the reasonable expectation that our votes be heard and counted even should they be unpopular and we refuse to be silenced by this blatant attempt to curtail it."

"In order to support this bill, the removal of this narrowing of the Senate's power must be removed; I motion to remove article 2 of this proposal, which would render the senate ineffective for a year."

"A single issue?" Katsuko smiled, "You mean enough issues to keep this senate busy for an entire year and probably more. This nation's recovery is going to depend upon direct action taken to stimulate the economy, to rebuild cities and colonies that have been devastated. We have trade and diplomacy to handle with a growing number of space fairing nations in known space."

raz said:
Governor Tokiko of Tatiana votes "no" with comment.

"Leave recovery up to system-level jurisdictions. We know how best to direct efforts to rebuild infrastructure and put our worlds back on the path to prosperity. Central control tends to ignore the needs of specific planetary ecologies."

"Leaving things up to the system-level jurisdictions. I believe the Empire has tried that route before. It created the United Outer Colonies and we all know how that worked out." Katsuko merely continued, "Central control is exactly the point. More power needs to be centralized with the Empress so that this senate can continue to debate 'important' issues such as what to do if a weaponized soldier wants to become a poet." sarcasm had apparently not left her. "In my opinion this Empire needs it's strength back and our Empress needs the allocation of power to reflect that." She bore no mercy when it came to senators, the same as she had when she came to Yamatai prior. "You're voting no on an effort to restore our nation. Not so we can sit divided in planetary states and continue to worry ourselves about a weakening democracy."

"Debates about civil rights, should be held during peace time. Not when measures are needed now to prevent the atrocities of this war from repeating over again." Katsuko then fell quiet, if they turned it down that was all they needed to do. Afterall, none of them had proposed an edit outside of Hanako.

Voting NO. Bringing up the UOC is a scare tactic to push through this ridiculous waste of Imperial time and money.

Andrew said:
"You're voting no on an effort to restore our nation. Not so we can sit divided in planetary states and continue to worry ourselves about a weakening democracy."

"Hold your tongue, Motoyoshi. Our loyalty to the Empire has never been questioned, as has that of you and yours," Tokiko replied with obvious contempt. "Your legislation, in any case, renders itself unneeded because of proposal subsection 4. The Empress already has the final decision on all recovery projects. If Tatiana or any other world falls short of her expectations toward recovery, we would never, of course, think of resisting her will."

"Hold your tongue, Motoyoshi. Our loyalty to the Empire has never been questioned, as has that of you and yours," Tokiko replied with obvious contempt. "Your legislation, in any case, renders itself unneeded because of proposal subsection 4. The Empress already has the final decision on all recovery projects. If Tatiana or any other world falls short of her expectations toward recovery, we would never, of course, think of resisting her will."

Like aether itself had kissed her, rage inwardly danced and fell subdued. Once more the name that had been taken from her, dragged through the dirt was sent to mar her image before. She could see as Misato rose from her seat in the gallery and walked out, followed by Chujo Yamada Ayano. "To think, you could of just suggested a modification, an amendment to do something productive." The Taisho looked to the Senator with an unfaltering gaze, venom soaked eyes yielded a glisten that would be held within forbearance. "Me and Mine?" She whispered, "Shall I hold my tongue? You lump me with traitors that dragged my name through the mud. While I stayed, and I struggled..crawling my way out of the hole to achieve rank and status again. My loyalty is not in question, but your knowledge of history is." The narrowed features of her jaw clenched slightly and then released.

"Perhaps you should check my service record again, Senator." She said, a still calmness settled in her voice. "Also it is Ketsurui-Motoyoshi, if you're going to insult me you might as well be formal about it." Her boots echoed against the floor in the rhythm of military step, fading as she stopped just short of exiting the chamber.

Senator Winsbury, tapped his pen against the desk. He did feel about issues like this, and he mulled over the proposition put forward by Ketsurui-Motoyoshi.
Purpose:

1. To direct the Yamatai Star Empire towards recovery efforts. We have been at War since YE 31. We need a clear and concise direction towards recovery.

2. To mandate that the Senate focus on legislations that contribute to recovery efforts for the next year. (Emergency measures being the exception.)
This seemed fair enough for the Nepleslian-born senator. You couldn't keep jury-rigging repairs forever as a concentrated effort had to be made to ensure that planets remained sustainable for future growth and recovery.
Proposal:

1. To create a temporary department within the government. 'The Department for Imperial Restoration' (Consisting of both civilian and military personnel) which acts as an umbrella for all efforts towards the Empire's Recovery Efforts that reports directly to the Empress and acts as an oversight for all inter-department issues relating to recovery.

2. To support and provide funding for restoration of infrastructure and self-sufficiency within the Empire. Providing funding for efforts to improve the quality of life of our citizens and soldiers

3. To direct funding towards the improvement of defences in areas that have shown vulnerability during the war.

4. To allow the Empress final decision on all recovery projects, regardless of their standing in the Senate.
"I agree with this proposal, but I am concerned with the defence improvements. Shouldn't that be the job of the Navy to identify and staff those areas?"

He then considered the last point, "I'm afraid Point 4 makes Point 1 self defeating, but I will pass this as long as Point 4 is adjusted accordingly."

4. To allow the Empress final decision on all recovery projects, regardless of their standing in the Senate.

"Number four has been removed from the proposed motion." Katsuko replied, subdued in renewed shame, a disgust settling within her to the deepest of levels if it had not been there before. Outwardly all that showed was a pleasant smile.

"In terms of item three, I call your attention to the first section" she motioned to the lines in question.

She highlighted the section. "I believe that covers the involvement of the Star Army in regards to their jurisdictions." She was military herself, the strange ill feelings of the imposed shame by the other senator stuck with her.

"Ah. My mistake, Ketsurui-Motoyoshi." He coughed and took a drink of water, with his vote still on Yes, "Proceed."

After a while of silence, presumably because the other senators, Senator Mifune stood up at her podium again.

"Ketsurui-Motoyoshi," she began, "Although you have questioned my 'loyalty' on this matter I have to question yours.

"Although this is an open-floor senate I cannot help but recall yesterday you were here pushing the idea of abolishing it altogether, flying in the face of a constitution that Empress herself proposed. It is clear, to me, that you abhor the very thought of civil liberties, and as governer of Fujiko V - which is a mining colony with more species diversity than can be found here in the capital - I find that alarming. We must be progressive in our outlook and that nationalist mentality of yours has almost cost the empire very dearly in the past.

"It is only recently, and with temperance, that our Imperial Premier Yuumi has been able to push past this international travesty that is your party's unabashed imperialism, and by suggesting a curtailment of her, and our, freedom to address a broad range of issues as we please suggests - along with all of these other things - a disturbing lack of confidence in your Empress's own system that I and my backers find offensive.

"Of course we are focused on the relief efforts. Of course we have the good of the empire at heart - for we are, in fact, the Empire. Not something to hide from, not something to curtail, not something to control as if you were some fief lord reigning tall over us lowly citizens. You are an admiral of rank, and I understand you are quite used to being obeyed, but this senate is not your play toy. I see a dozen ways to abuse article two of your proposal. Your unwillingness to change it rings in my ears as false largesse. You don't trust the senate to stay on topic. I understand that.

"So let me explain politics to you, Admiral.

"The recent rush of bills was nothing more than a feint by myself and my backers to address a flaw in the legislative process that allows a fiat of seven people. It resulted in the passing of article ninty-nine which greatly extends the voting process so that, fairly and appropriately, all citizens may have a right to weigh in on politics. This is important. It is freedom that you will not curtail with this thinly guised ruse to seize power to dismiss issues on the senate floor. There is no precident short of the Empress for dismissing issues on the senate floor. We will not suffer being stifled by any other legislative entity, and certainly not this new department that you specify. The Department of Land affairs is doing just fine the way it is; the individual planets are all dealing with this crisis in ways that are appropriate from them, seperate from Imperial legislation. This is a free senate and if they wished help - notice I say they, because you are certainly not their representative, Motoyoshi - they would voice their concerns."

"I still vote no on this bill. This is a ridiculous and blatant power grab by an Admiral who has until just very recently lived in disgrace. I don't pretend to know what other motives drive you, but before you pursue a career in politics you should address the conflict of interest created by your rank, position, and blatant starry-eyed nationalism."

The senator from Daichi chose this moment to offer the views of his constituents.

"The collect concensus of Daichi is that we do not require a new law, or department, or the intervention of the Senate for this matter. When peace is acheived it is only logical that we turn our collective resources from war to life. The inhabitants of Daichi support the 2XF, when their demand on us for materials and personnel, we will use the to build new town, job, etc.

My vote is most emphatically NO." he then took his sest.

Confirmation

Misato and Ayano stood silently outside of the senate doors, the empathetic, wordless conversation between them held concern for the Taisho and the leader of their clan within. The reformation of the Motoyoshi required of them, the same as it required of her -- to listen as the damages caused by Tio and Kiyoko manifested themselves even outside of their influence. The senate had taken the bait casting scorn and ridicule upon the Motoyoshi who had remained loyal to the Empire. Even as they waited, cars transporting members of the tributaries that had remained loyal to the Empire zipped up the old mountain roads to Motoyoshi-jo.

Katsuko listened as yet again, the dishonourable deeds that had split her clan in two were used as political ammunition. The Motoyoshi that had stayed had fought, had given themselves to wholeheartedly fighting in the war and many had given their lives in the name of the Empire. She was accused of being unwilling to change the proposed legislation even after she had suggested that changes be proposed. She would of after all eventually been willing to do so.

"Thank you for your consideration." Katsuko said, she turned back on her heels and exited the senate chamber to rejoin her party. The double doors closed behind her, head held high she looked towards Misato and gave a nod of affirmation before heading out to the waiting motorcade. The flags of the Seventh Fleet, Yamatai and the Motoyoshi Clan fluttered at the corner of the vehicle hoods as they pulled away.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back