Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: UOC Government [Proposed Legislation] Fair Work Compensation Act

Kim

スター軍の司書
Purpose:

All persons and beings working within the borders of the United Outer Colonies should be provided just compensation for their work no matter how menial. A person should have the right to chose to leave unfavorable conditions of employment for higher pay or better condition of living.

Proposal:

1) To establish contractual employment for all persons and beings within the territories of the United outer Colonies, in which, the employer and employee amiably agree to a term of service (with a definitive start and a possible end) and a form of payment- monetary or otherwise.

2) Provide all persons and beings with pay or other compensation for any work that they do, except: when they have volunteered to do that work as a free service to another person or the state. i.e. Giving someone a pie or helping someone clean-up. Not including previous forms of servitude.

3) Defining compensation as a paying salary or goods/services to that person. For example: a person working in bakery opting not to receive a currency payment from their employer may get compensated with food from the bakery or room and board, depending on what was agreed upon in their contract.

4) Within reason, the employer should provide a safe and hospitable working environment for their employees. This is defined as a work environment that provides no undue or unreasonable risk to the employee and where the employee is exposed to verbal or physical abuse. This is not including forms of employment that are high risk, such as asteroid mining; working with explosives or unsafe or unstable materials; or working in the customer service field, where an employee might be exposed to less than happy customers.

5) Any employer found to be in violation of this act will have to compensate those employees with back wages and pay a fine unless it can be reasonably proven that it was a miscommunication of intent or a verbal agreement between the employee and the employer.

"I would like for the members of the Assembly to help build onto this document to legally address the issues present with unpaid workers or workers considered to be 'slaves'," Ayana added with a smile. "I feel the best way of dealing with this problem is to remove the vagueness of the wording of the law."

Tio looked towards the other members of the assembly, "Well?" He needed to break the silence.

Mamami looked the bill over for a moment, then looked at a separate data pad.

"If I didn't know any better, this looks like a blatant dig at the Lorath Matriarchy."

"Not at all. This would apply to employment to anyone within the colonies and even our own defensive forces. I simply feel that these things are fairly common sense but, it's best to have the wording of the law to be made less vague so that our citizens are legally protected from employers that might try to take advantage of them by denying them compensation.

It's harder to develop an economy or foster trade if people think they aren't obligated to pay their workers," Ayana replied thoughtfully. "Any other concerns? This would be applicable regardless of whether or not the Lorath are allowed to join us."

Ayumi smiled at the PM, "I have a few notes." She announced, though still seemed to be working on them. "Give me a moment, please? It's true, there needs to be definition and I believe this provides it mostly, but I'm working on a definition that will more clearly define the act in case something more like indentured servants pop out of it, certainly because we haven't defined how much is fair compensation, or what the possible punishment for breaking the law would be."

Taking a sip of water, the Representative went back to translating her notes into more legal terms.

Alexander tapped his chin idly as he read the proposal in silence. His eyes scanned it, and rescanned it before he spoke up. "As it stands, this allows us to invigorate our economy, or currency to be distributed, and in general provide a person with monetary or other compensation for their work. It seems to be a good way of..."jump starting" our economy."

"How goes your progress on further details on this, Miss Ayumi?" Ayana asked politely as she looked at the other representatives, "And what are the rest of your thoughts on this? Your insights on how we could remove the vagueness of the wording or determining what is a fair living wage?"

"Actually, I'm unsure about one thing: are we expected to apply these rules to Lor and the Helashio? Are we then to assume that their 'wages' so to speak will be in some kind of drug in those collars they wear or perhaps a nice sandwich for doing a really good job?"

Mr. Iga coughed.

"I'm not sure if they fall under this law being a protectorate and whatnot."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back