Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Protype YSS training ship discussion.

Millia

Inactive Member
Training ship design for the YSS fleet

Heres a sketch of the "new model" YSS training ship. I took kind of a space battleship yamatto look for it. I was thinking it would be more of a flying school than a small ship. I have also drawn up a smaller "mission ship" runabout that would have smaller crew and be used for students running flight test missions.

this way it is large enough to have one ship per class of students. like the final year of training is spent abord the ship with engineers working in their own sections and so on and so forth. It wouldent be heavily armed but posess a small compliment of weapons that cover the tactical fields of the YSS systems, simple turrets and missle/torpeedo tubes and such.

The large bulge in the front was where i had designed the main powerarmor bay to be. I havent drawn a frontal view but a large bay that can open into space to alow trining in power armor. On the back deck behind the bridge mast was where the runabout mission ships would be launched from.

the design is still in the works so this is mearly a prototype thread to gather info and ideas before making a wiki.

I think it's a great idea and love the design, but I have to ask this question. Why would the Star Army of Yamatai require a specialized training vessel? They have a large amount of ships in 'mothball' status they could reactivate specifically for training purposes.

Ok, good enough for me. :D

I just had to play devil's advocate for a moment. But I still love the design...makes me wish I could hire you out to draw the Abwehran ships. XP

I has asked that in pm before i started drawing. if the ship should be an ageing design retrofitted to train new students or something to replace said ageing designs.

I think this goes back to the general oversion of mods to not allow anything to be made that is more than 10 seconds old.

Well, if they existed before, we would've used them lol. But hey, they'll get old eventually.

well the star army has existed for a length of time prior to the construction of this ship class. it would only make scene that it is replacing something.

the point I was making is that some things have to exist before someone turned a camera on them.

There are quite a few obsolete or near-obsolete ship classes, and those ships make okay training ships. I'm not sure what Wes is looking for, but personally, a ship specifically designed for training missions wouldn't hurt.

Maybe ships of this type can deal and receive simulated "damage" to each other, so that the trainees can have combat training without live fire.

Most ships aren't big enough to have dedicated training environments, I think. We need a new one specifically designed with training in mind, that'd make it easy for new people to get used to and operate within.

A training vessel would require the ability to take on a variety of equipment, especially power armor. I could see how this could end up being an "expensiveâ€

If it is a warp capeable ship wouldent it make more sence to just travle to different enviroments?

Rather than wasting so much energy on a huge simulation room. (that would be smaller than any space station or ground based alternative) the recruits could just travle around spending parts of their training cruise in different systems. spending one "semester" in a system with arid planets for desert training, survival, jungle enviroments. I think the idea for a training ship would be better used for real world trials than a simulator.

It would make sence to have a few small simulators abord but not have it be a central foucs.

the cheeper powerarmor thing is an idea but i'd imagine they would be just lower armored versions of current suits, with a handfull of 5 "real" armor's for final stage training.

As for the design of the ship's exterior i had intended that the main tower was going to be flanked by those long winglets or heavier shielding. the circular impresssions on each side were supposed to be for missles/torpedo weapons if it were to fight the idea is it's more of a broadside battery fighter than a head on fighting ship.

As far as agility comparison's look at the earth ships from B5 as compared to the little white star ships.

Ok so the ship should have...

Training room / simulator
Low strength power armor
weapons simulatiors
small "mission ships"
a classroom area
"student" quarters (i am thinking long shared bay of bunks very spartin.)
"Instructor" quarters (personal rooms)

and of cource the standards...
Gally
Head
engineering
bridge
launch bay
armor hanger
weapons storage
powerplant
ect..

anything else i am missing?

If it's a yamataian ship, focusing on the Daisy power armor would probably be a good idea.

The Daisy is a good beginner armor: you can practice with energy weapons, drone weapons, do some STL combat and do a bit of module swapping as well as get acquainted with the control scheme of the power armor if you aren't a nekovalkyrja.

The Daisy, not being quite as powerful as the Mindy II but being a big sturdier, also puts the trainee pilot ata bit of an handicap as he'll have to succeed objectives with only the limited capabilities of the aerospace power armor. If that pilot eventually qualifies for piloting a M2-2, he'll probably have the extra cunning and resourcefulness of having worked with a more limited piece of hardware before.

Alternatively, the qualification courses for the Daisy could be run with the even less powerful Harpy armor for the first power armor basic operations classes. Since the Harpy's sensor suite is more powerful than the Daisy but about as powerful as the Mindy, it'd make a good suit to practice with the technology operation level of a power armor's AIES system.

Wes drew a Mindy once or twice. I tried making a 3d model of a Mindy once (I more or less failed). Planning on drawing a Mindy 2 and a Sylph II eventually. Not sure about what Doshii Jun wants for his Daisy, but I was sort of already imagining what it looked like.

That would help me greatly if someone made even a "very bad art day" drawing of the thing so i could make some images of it.

>_<

*sigh* Just check out the art gallery on the site to see Yuuko in a Mindy. There's also the Star Army of Yamatai's emblem.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back