• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Quantum Mirror

In name only. Actually the in-game material never mentions quantum mirrors as part of the motion tracker, plus these would be a bit larger than can be put into personal armor and so they're probably quite different.

Regardless of what it is used for, the only similarity I can find is in the name. It shouldn't matter if Emily's mirror is personnel-usable for PAs or starship-grade, it should be considered original technology. A relatively (I'd never heard it anywhere but here and Halo) unoriginal name, of course, but the name is just what it is.

If you insist that this is "derivative technology" and has no place in the SARP, then this all becomes the sort of situation that would require computer companies to think up another name for a "motherboard" because other companies already use the term for the part, or for the players of the SARP to find another name for "bullet". The quantum mirror is a basic piece of a sensor system, it's not the complete system in and of itself. You can't make it any more simple without breaking it down into atomic elements (which Emily did already).

Besides, the Halo wiki doesn't explain what their mirror actually is, nor how it does what it does, except that it serves as a "motion sensor" (which could be nothing more than a normal motion-detector). Emily's mirror can determine much more detail, and the inner workings are, imho, well-defined enough to differentiate this from Halo-tech and be able to stand apart. The name and basic purpose (sensing) are the only connections.

Soresu said:
Read Halo: ghosts of onyx Emily. It mentions it there.

I'm well aware of what Ghosts of Onyx mentions; I happen to own all the Halo novels as well as issue 1 of the Halo comic. :)

Anyway, if there's no real technical objections, I request official review and feedback.

Since the actual technical information is not the issue and the name is. Why not just change the name? From what I see the actual device has little to do with the Halo device mentioned.

So you have some reformulating to do, a new name, maybe clarify a little on the function.

Needs Modification.

So it's a quantum particle detector; any tips on changing an article's name and link without it showing a "this page doesn't exist yet" thing?

Andrew or I can move pages.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back