Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Race Submission: Tarkarians

Two things about the species page:

Almost every star emits across a very wide band of the electromagnetic spectrum, again almost always including the entire band of visible light. Some stars do emit mostly ultraviolet radiation, but even these also emit visible light. However, these stars, spectral class O, emit in that range because they are unbelievably hot, on the order of a million times as hot as the Sun. In fact, they are hot enough that planets can't form.

Secondly, seasonal change on planets has nothing to do with the orbital path around a star. It has everything to do with axial tilt. This is a pretty common misconception. Technically, I guess, you could have seasons based on orbit if you had a really, ridiculously extreme orbit, like a comet, but then your seasons would be hundreds of years long. Not what you're going for.

Avoid being pseudohuman.

That means you shouldn't call yourselves a separate race if you're really just humans with special powers, minor cosmetic changes, or an extra organ or two. Staff usually really dislike this, though there is a small possibly to convince staff to forgo this if your species submission is unique and well-written enough. Still, be forewarned that this alone may be grounds for the denial of a submission; the setting already has more than enough pseudohuman species.

Source: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=race_submission_rules
Doesn't this directly apply to your submitted species?

Sean, you are correct about the axial tilt relating to seasonal climate change. I was totally thinking of it relative to a year -> time it takes to orbit the star. However, I wasn't referring to a class O star. To my knowledge, which I admit could be better, class A stars are considered to be on the ultraviolet end of the star spectrum. Class A stars are capable of having planets. The habitability zone for them is just exceptionally farther away than that of our sun.

Wes' question is a bit more difficult to answer. With all the rules on creating races, I thought it would be safer to keep it similar to humans. I seem to have made them too similar to humans. I kind of meant for the primary difference to be the fact that Tarkarians are a completely pacifistic, emotionally delicate race. The effective playability lies in those of their kind that are born into the completely foreign environment of war and chaos that we live in. The highly empathic qualities of the species create characters with very intense emotions, to the point where it borders on completely controlling their actions. In that sense, I wanted to create a race that focused on psychological differences from humans as opposed to physiological differences. The race is kind of based off of my own personal writing style, which is highly dependent and focused upon emotion.

It would be a lot easier for me to approve this submission if you made two changes:

1) Throw out the extra dimensional thing.
2) Have them be descended from human colonists (like Nepleslian and the other human races).

Can do. I only really went the extradimensional route because it's mentioned in the wiki... ah, here it is.

Some Nepleslians, however, may be mutants or part alien. A very large assortment of strange alien races resides in Nepleslia and its sister planets, many of which are from other universes and dimensions.

The transdimension bit gets complicated, I assume. Anyway, I'll get started on editing to those suggestions.

Edit: Any suggestions on where their system could go?

What about one of these?

Attachments

• mapspots.webp
    mapspots.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 465
Alright. I'll try to re-review this tomorrow (too tired right now due to it being late). I would like to see what others have to say, too.

Isn't having 'no axial tilt'... uh.. a bad thing? ^^;;

You talk about "Generation X", but what are the other generations called?

Why haven't the Nepleslians tried to take over? Why do they appear different then normal humans?

Just a couple things off the top of my head to ponder on.

Wes said:
2) Have them be descended from human colonists (like Nepleslian and the other human races).

Seriously? Sweet~ *goes off to do some stuff with this info*

Class A stars are considered white, not blue, and thus would certainly not be considered on the "ultraviolet end" of the stellar spectrum. Of course, you have no responsibility to please me, but for the sake of accuracy, I would appreciate it if you remove "ultraviolet" from before "type A" on the planet page. I'd correct it myself but I don't want to mess around with someone else's article, especially while its under submission.

Also, Fay, 'no axial tilt' isn't necessarily a bad thing. No rotation, yes, that could be bad for the thermal equilibrium of the the planet's surface, but axial tilt isn't too big a deal in terms of surviving on a planet's surface.

No Axial tilt just affects the seasonal changes, but then so does the Elliptical nature of a planets orbit.

From the Species page
second-generation Tarkarians > What exactly are second-generation Tarkarians?

From the CCG
Tarkarians have abnormal hair and eye colors? Really ? How so given the various Neko colors, not to mention other species.
Eye color – (Common) Black, Brown, Green, Blue, Violet; (Uncommon) Orange, Yellow; (Rare) Red, White.
Hair color – (Common) Black, Brown; (Uncommon) Green, Blue, Violet; (Rare) White, Red, Orange, Yellow.

PersonalityTarkarians are always peaceful by nature. They abstain from all forms of violence except when it is necessary in order to protect themselves or others.

This should probably be rewritten, to something along the lines, of Tarkarians are generally peaceful, and prefer to abstain from all forms of violence, except when there is no other alternative.

In the Species page, fourth paragraph
"Tarkarians are a new, unapproved species within the RP." Redundant since the page has the standard disclaimer.

Pupil dialation is to limit light in the visible spectrum, UV is outside of that. If they developed a way of protecting their eyes? (And what about the rest of them) from such high UV, it would probably be in the form of a protective membrane or such.

hypersensitive empathy
No where on the species page is this mentioned, the only place this appears is on the Gen-X page, which should probably be given a different name as Generation-X already has other connotations. But it seems that the only reason this ability is listed is to explain why this Gen-X group are not like the rest. The only place empathy is mentioned in the other pages is on the CCG "strong emotional empathy" and in the connotation there, it isn't really any different that most people.

I think it's actually a very promising submission; having just skimmed over it. Of course, the hyper-empathy thing would make a poor soldier out of a Tarkarian, what with all the death, suffering and whatnot. I assume they can shut it out, right?

Thanks Cipher, but to answer your question in a word, no.

To answer it in a paragraph... or two:

Tarkarians introduced to the galaxy as adults are much better at controlling their emotional state. As I describe with their 'Generation X,' since their emotional state is highly dependent on their childhood, those exposed to the conflict and suffering of the galaxy as children develop a highly unstable emotional state. This can be expressed in any number of ways, but generally the character is highly impulsive and has poor control over their emotions. The generally more stable Tarkarians are half-breeds, whose non-Tarkarian genetics somewhat dull their hyper-empathy. While some of them may seem like an emotional wreck by normal standards, they are definitely much better off than their full-blooded kin, who have been known to collapse into raging lunatics.

To further clarify, older Tarkarians, while still hyper-empathic, are much less affected by violence than children. Emotions experienced as children imprint themselves in their mind for the rest of their life, triggering a strong emotional response when they are exposed to those feelings as adults. In other words, adult Tarkarians, while deeply disturbed by violence, have difficulty understanding it emotionally because it is so foreign to their culture. Tarkarian youths may express their emotional instability in any number of ways: hyper-aggressive (good soldiers in the sense of determination, bad in the sense that they're bloodthirsty maniacs), hyper-paranoid, hyper-detached (yes, that is an emotional response), etc. Any of those individuals could be a soldier, but their emotional state can highly affect how they perform.

Err, sorry if that was a bit lengthy. Heh. I think I'll add this to the wiki page.

Oh, so it's not something they can just shut out. And I'm guessing gene therapy and such can't fix it, either?

I'm just picking through to make sure that the actual proctors (for lack of a better word) don't have as much to find and critique.

If by 'gene therapy' you mean 'complete gene overhaul,' then yes, it can quite definitely be done away with. It's very deeply tied in with much of their psychological genetics. Any attempts to do gene manipulation would risk drastic mental repercussions (i.e. making things much worse or creating bizarre emotional and personality abnormalities (which, yes, could prove for some very unique characters)).

Essentially, this is the characteristic that makes Tarkarians Tarkarians.

Adult females have a substantial bust, as they hold a constant supply of a highly sugary, milk-like nutrient throughout their entire lives. Tarkarians almost universally have a D-cup. (only if female)

Tits Do Not Work That way.

No, I'm serious. Breasts are mostly filled with Spongy tissue, fat, and very little empty space for milk. IF they were filled mostly with Milk, they would be saggy. Very, Very Saggy.

Teddo said:
Fay said:
Seriously? Sweet~ *goes off to do some stuff with this info*

Uh, you didn't edit my pages, did you Fay...?

I made the edits nash and sean suggested.

No, no edits from me. I was just taking what Wes said and rolling with it for something of my own making. :)

Also, Five, large breasts don't usually mean that they produce large amounts of milk. I know quite a few women that can produce enough milk for their babies and even more so. They are also C cups... but turn into B-cups after feeding. xD If you want realism in this species, that should happen to them as well.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back