Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RADMA Bio-scanner

XRASER

Ok, care to explain how this works, You are firing a beam of X-Rays, which will pass through the person to be scanned. But how does the unit capture the information? X-Rays aren't going to bounce off the person, they will just go through. You need something on the other side of the patient that takes the place of x-ray film or a detector like dentists these days use.

Magnetic Resonator
How is something on the hand going to make a magnetic field strong enough to surround a person, and then include the scanner.

I explained how it works in the wiki, The beam is projected, and "slices" through the subject, and the disruptions in the beam are then recorded. The majority of X-ray does indeed go through the person's body, In fact it has to go through in order to get the scan, but some of it does indeed get deflected. If this did not happen we would not have Radiology as a modern science.

As far as the magnetic field, it is a matter of miniaturization, and power. The glove is nuclear powered, so it is expensive, and is only used by but with enough power you can generate a lot of different fields. In this case it is done at a very close range, making this device not so magical.

All of this information is already listed in the article.

Now I can re-write the article but it would end up being a butt load of redundant techno-babble, which I tried to avoid doing. It may seem hard to believe but I based this device off of a few real world devices that are being tooled around with.

I edited the post a bit, made the device more expensive, and added some a warning about the Magnetic Resonator.

By the way, you should only call it a xraser if it's a concentrated x-ray beam. The bio-scanner's xraser detail says it uses a 'wide spread beam', which is a contradiction to what it means in the first place.

It's kind of like saying 'the sniper rifle fires a wide spray of shrapnel'.

Good point, I edited the article again, changing the XRASER part out to X-ray, and I also gave the outfit a receiver glove that fits on the other hand.

You're using a nuclear battery in a hand-held medical scanner? Aren't you worried about your patients glowing green? Nuclear batteries typically use heat from radiological isotope decay to generate electricity. Does it even have shielding? There are non-thermal types but it doesn't even specify.

The battery is properly shielded, that is one of those things that falls under implied. When making wiki articles I am trying not to bog them down in redundant details. you are going to claim it is not redundant, but the fact that battery is shielded probably will not even be mentioned in RP so why bother.

As far as people glowing green, this is a scanner, not a nuclear device, so the patient is not receiving deadly doses of radiation, again, implied.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back