• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: Kennewes Offensive [Reds] Thicker Than Water

MoonMan

Inactive Member
((This short side-story is a change of perspective in the fight between Kagura and Gyles against four enemy Red Star Army soldiers. Their perspective can be read here, and it is recommended that their version be read first before this one.))

---

During the Kennewes Offensive, a Green-Faction armored assault on an underwater Red base forced a small patrol squad of four Red soldiers into a fight from which they did not walk away from. Their names were Jonathan “Johnny” Fennington, Mamimi, Warren Yandle and Kennedy “Tin Kan” Marshall, and they belonged to the 145th Kennewes Armor Squad, “The Jim Dandies”. Each of them died serving the Red Star Army.

---

A few hundred meters away from the battle Epsilon Squad was enduring, four Dark Demon armors were speeding across the wide ocean expanse. Kennedy and Warren were taking point up front, with Johnny and Mamimi trailing close behind, keeping an eye on the rear. It had been roughly four minutes since their patrol leader sent them to investigate a possible flank attempt by the Green armor squad that was moving towards the base…and they were slowly closing in on the last known area they had received sonar signals from. Johnny seemed a bit distracted, however, occasionally glancing off into the ocean expanse to his side, allowing his turbine-vehicle to hiccup occasionally.

“Ungh. This stupid neck brace is broken again. Piece of shit Zen Arms bullshit. I swear, I fix this thing every damn mission,” Warren mumbled as he rolled his head around the joint of his neck inside his Dark Demon armor.

A female voice rose into the communication channel. “You should not be so rough with your armor. It would not break as often if you were more careful.”

Warren mumbled a few curses under his breath…all in good nature, of course. “Hey Johnny, speed it up man! We’re on the clock here!”

This wake-up call jerked Johnny out of his daze, and he quickly zoomed forward to catch up to his comrades, Mamimi following closely behind to her master. The neko was always close to her master…it was the same whether it was on land, in the ocean, off duty, or right in the middle of a mission. One could say Mamimi was as loyal as they come to Johnny…after all, that’s what the brainwashing and de-installation processes were for.

“…man, I still can’t believe they let ya bring that damn thing,” Warren joked at Johnny as he turned his torso to face them. He threw an open-palmed gesture at the rider beside Johnny as he continued. “Last time I checked, people kept their damn pets inside.”

“Heh, you know me Warren,” Johnny replied with a chuckle, his bright blue eyes sparkling a bit as Warren broke the tension of the mission with his wit. “I just can’t wait sometimes. Killin’ greenies gets me a little…anxious. Gotta keep my options open, ya know? Besides, she’s a better fighter than your goofy ass. Ain’t that right Mamimi?”

“Yes, that’s right!” The sickeningly cheerful reply of the neko rung in the ears of the other three Nepleslians of the quartet as she quickly did a few corkscrew twirls with her vehicle, leaving bubbling blue trails of foam behind her as she did so.

Warren grumbled to himself and turned back around, revving up his turbine-bike a bit to catch up to Kennedy. It was times like this that he wished he hadn’t given his buddy Johnny a neko like that for a birthday gift. It seemed like a good idea at the time…what red-blooded Nepleslian didn’t enjoy his own personal slave? Warren did have to admit, though, that the little blue-haired bundle of joy had grown on him over the years…but that didn’t maker her any less annoying. Johnny certainly seemed to enjoy her, and that was enough for Warren, though. “…shit, you know she only won that fight last week ‘cause I was drunk.”

“She won because you were drunk, and because you’re the fuckin’ stupidest brawler ever.” Kennedy cut into the conversation, his resolute and deep voice penetrating the channel, as if demanding to be heard. Warren growled a bigger huff of indignity at Kennedy’s comment. “Oh yeah? Shit TK, we all know you’re just sore that ya forgot to rebuilding your fuckin’ cock. Can’t enjoy a good neko for what it’s worth, hehe.”

Kennedy smirked at his friends’ comment…or he would’ve smirked, if he had the lips to do it. After years of living the hard life in Nepleslia, Kennedy had replaced nearly 90% of his body with cybernetics, and this left him, visibly, a little of an eyesore. But Johnny and Warren still hung around him for one reason or another. Maybe it was because his menacing appearance garnered a lot more respect than his old fleshy body…or maybe it was the fact that he nearly always bought the booze when the four of them when they all went out to bar-hopping every Tuesday. “Didn’t need it. Now shuddap and get ready. We’re closing in on that position.” was all the Tin Kan could reply.

“Fu~ck yeah!” Warren agreed with enthusiasm. “Let’s mop these little shits up. I got a date with a big glass of grog after this.”

“Shit. And I’m probably gonna have to stiff the bill.” Kennedy said with a metallic sigh.

“Well, since you offered! You’re such a pal, Kan Man!”

The four of them laughed in joking revelry as the glided along the swirling waters, continuing onward towards their objective.

---

After another minute of chugging along in silence, Mamimi attempted to open a private short-range conversation with Johnny. She often did this during missions, but while others would find this annoying and out of place for one in her position, Johnny himself didn’t seem to mind most of the time. Her tone was very quiet at first, as if asking for some form or permission to speak before bringing it up a bit as the conversation went on.

“Master, have you gotten the hang of riding these things?”

“Yeah, I got it Mamimi.”

“Do you want me to look over Warren and TK again this time?”

Johnny didn’t answer that one immediately, instead waiting for a moment to see if the other two in the small patrol squad had overheard the comment. The communication channel was indeed private…and there was no reply, so it must be fairly secure enough. He felt as if he needed to apologize to the neko as well, for the comment he made about her earlier…but that seemed redundant at this point, as he had apologized for the same thing so many times that Mamimi herself had actually asked him to stop taking it so hard on himself. It still left a little sourness in his mouth that he had to put up airs in front of Warren and Kennedy when it came to Mamimi, as it always had ever since Warren bought her for Johnny a few years back. Now was hardly the time to muse over such things, however.

“Yeah, keep an eye on them. If they start getting into trouble, tell me so I can go help them out.”

“I shall watch over Master first, though.” She always did, whether he told her to or not.

“…you won’t have to after this mission.”

“Master?”

Johnny sighed inwardly, both glad and regretful that he had made this decision final before they left the hangars of the Red base. “I’m quitting this damn fight. I got a small ship from Dave today. After this mission, I’m taking it and we’re getting off this damn rock. Doesn’t make a lick of sense to stick around…and I’d rather be out there in the stars than sitting in the mud here. Would you like that, Mamimi? No war, no greens or reds…just us floating out there.”

His plan was disastrous to begin with. He didn’t know how he would make it past the Green blockade in the rusty bucket that old junker had sold him. Johnny had considered taking it up into space and surrendering, in hopes that they would let him pass…but he knew how the Green government felt about nekos. If they found Mamimi, she would be taken away, or worse. That was the last thing Johnny wanted. He decided to at least try and outmaneuver them, sneak through a small break in the massive military ships surrounding Kennewes. Johnny was young, brash and inexperienced in such things…but he wanted to believe that it would work. Just like he wanted to believe that keeping Mamimi was the right thing to do, despite what his life on Kennewes had taught him. After all…she was a slave. He was doing her a favor by keeping her away from others.

Mamimi didn’t seem to voice any other emotion that unbridled joy at her master’s question. She squealed in delight at Johnny through the private channel, oblivious to any and all problems the plan had presented to her simplified mind.

“Oh master…I would like that so much! Are Warren and TK coming with us?”

Johnny paused again. He had not told Kennedy…or even Warren. He knew both of them would disapprove of this plan, and in turn endanger their friendship. But Johnny wanted off Kennewes. He wanted it bad enough to risk forsaking the friendship he had built with Kennedy, the solemn cybernetic man who had been much like a father to him, and Warren, whom Johnny had known nearly all of his life. The two of them were only four pods apart in the cloning vats…they were practically brothers. It was Warren himself who brought Mamimi to him…and he was planning on deserting the two, right in the midst of this war. Johnny hated himself for it, but at the same time was already dead-set on his plans. He hoped that after a year or so of space faring he would return to his friends, and find that they had forgiven him and would welcome him back. The young Nepleslian cursed himself for not being strong enough to man up and tell them directly. But this was how Johnny was going to do it. His mind was made up.

“They said they wanted to stay here. Don’t worry Mamimi. We’ll visit them every so often.”

“Yes! Yes, I would like that!”

“Then it’s settled. Let’s wipe these strays up, and it’ll be the first thing we do when we get back. Promise.”

“Yes master! I will do my best!”

---

As the four comrades neared the area of the last sonar pulses they slowed down to a cruising speed, all of them scanning the area for hints of a possible ambush. They knew two enemy armors were detected in this area, away from the larger group of enemy signatures a few kilometers beyond the horizon. They listened intently to the chatter ringing through the patrol squads at that area. Things didn’t sound like they were going too well.

“…sonuva bitch. I knew Pokey couldn’t fuckin’ handle this shit. Should we go over there and help them out? They sound like they’re getting fucked over,” Warren voiced in slight concern as he lowered his depth closer to the sea floor.

“No. We finish up here,” came Kennedy’s reply, solid and firm, a direct order to the rest of his small patrol squad. “There are only two here. We’ll kill them, then move to assi-”

Suddenly, Warren’s HUD flashed red as his Dark Demon armor informed him of incoming fire. The shots glanced off of his shield, but it still caught him by surprise as he attempted to make evasive actions. “FUCK! Where did that come from?!”

The four Red riders scrambled and dove around on their vehicles, setting up a perimeter to commence a sweep for the two hidden armors. Although they would occasionally fire upon them, a visual could not be achieved, much to the chagrin of the Red patrol squad. Kennedy finally became fed up with trying to goad these two Greenies out of their holes.

“Screw it. Johnny, Warren, drop your squealers,” the cybernetic squad leader instructed as he continued to circle the perimeter. The two Red soldiers nodded and did as hey were told, swooping in low around the area and each of them dropping a single Sonar Pulse beacon.

The small, round objects were only able to float downwards for a few seconds before the two Green enemies shot them down. This was what Kennedy wanted. Not only would this give another chance to spot where the fire was coming from in the mossy depths, but the sonar pulse from each grenade would effectively map the entire area and most definitely locate their hiding place. As the pulses radiated outwards from each exploded beacon, large amounts of navigational data poured into each of the Red’s powered armors. It also revealed the exact location of to two enemy armors.

“ENGAGE.” Kennedy replied with a simple order.

Their targets were revealed to be an NDI Warhawk-class assault powered armor, and what appeared to be a variant of the NAM AIR high-mobility armor. While his three other companions were not that knowledgeable about Green military powered armors, Kennedy himself had seen enough of them to know how much of a threat they posed. The Warhawk seemed to take a more defensive position in the kelp growths, while the AIR2 rose out of its cover to meet his foes. Kennedy let his cybernetic brain process all of the possible scenarios.

“Alright…you three take on that stupid fuck comin’ out to fight us. I can handle this NDI fuckwad myself,” the metal man said with a sneer. His confidence was a little short-sighted, stemming from only a single win against a Phalanx armor earlier in his career. Of course, he selectively chose to forget that it was this fight with an NDI Phalanx that changed roughly 30% of his body from flesh to solid metal. Still…he figured that he could at least stall the NDI armor until the other three were done moping up the other.

“Is that a fucking spear? HAW, what the hell is he gonna do with that? Poke a fire? What a joke!”

“Just don’t be a dumbass, stick together and kill the bastard. Then come assist me. Got it?”

“Right!”

“Hell yeah!”

“Affirmative!”

---

Kennedy would soon find himself in a firefight with the Warhawk-clad Green, both of their guns blazing in opposing directions. The ocean environment did little to help his Type 1…the shot velocity was greatly disturbed by the water, and had very little effect on the NDI armor. The Red squad leader continued to unleash volley after volley from the weapon anyway, dodging and weaving around his target, utilizing his superior speed to hopefully take advantage of the situation. It was not his goal to ‘win’ this fight by himself, after all; the cybernetic Red smirked maliciously as he continued with his plan of distraction…he even considered trying a different tactic, as the Warhawk’s autocannon rounds also seemed to be less effective in the scenario. After a quick moment of decision, Kennedy changed his course slightly…into a collision course.

Meanwhile, the other three Red soldiers were more or less having the same luck. At first they exchanged volleys of Type 1 cannonfire at the rapid-moving AIR armor, neither side really gaining any advantage. The Green armor then attempted to release a volley of those annoying little mini-missiles…but their effectiveness in the speed department was quickly reduced in the viscous liquid environment, and were easily targetable as a result.

Johnny, Mamimi speeding in closely behind him, was unlucky enough to have shot one of the DARTs that got a bit too close, and the chaff from the small explosion garbled his HUD ever so slightly as he surged through the free-floating bits of interference. “Damn it…I hate these freaking things! Fucking annoying little…”

Warren chuckled shortly as he swung his turbine around for another pass at his Green target. “Dude, just ignore those things and keep hitting this fucking Greenie. He’s gotta go down sometime. TK, how’re you doing over there?” The Nepleslian asked, trying to keep his focus on his foe while he checked on his squad leaders’ status.

Kennedy gave no response, however. After a moment, Warren looked up and over at Kennedy’s position. The enhanced Nepleslian was still quite alive, and was seemingly making short work of his target through a number of very brutal-looking rams and slams with his turbine-mount. “…sonuva bitch, I hate it when Kennedy gets like that. He doesn’t listen or care about a fucking thing when he fights other than killing his target.”

This was true, for the most part. Kennedy was known to get far too focused on his foes when he fought, to the point where he would often simply filter out anything and everything else, including communications from his allies. As the cybernetic Red continued to assault his Warhawk adversary he paid little attention to the rest of his comrades…and occasionally would also neglect damage to his body. A critical flaw in his personality, perhaps, but this was how he always was, him being nearly completely cybernetic. It had it’s advantages, however; the Warhawk had gotten a good shot at his leg, which breached the DD’s armor. The depressurization that occurred wasn’t a problem at all for his solid metal frame, and what little damage his cybernetic leg did sustain was negligible at best. Kennedy pressed his attack further, each pass hammering his opponent further with the bulky mass of his turbine-bike.

Johnny also glanced over at Kennedy’s position as well when Warren made his comment. The young Nepleslian often did worry about his friend when he got into one of those moods. However, Johnny’s worry was short-lived as he heard Mamimi’s voice blare out into his ear. “Master! Look out!”

The Red soldier turned his torso around just in time to see his HUD highlight an object surging towards him. Before he could react and attempt to dodge the object slammed heavily into the side of his vehicle and emitted a bright explosive flash. Johnny cried out in surprise, thinking for sure that he most certainly had just bought the farm…but would be relieved to realize that he was still very much alive. ‘An EMP shot?’ Johnny thought as his eyes darted across his HUD to assess the damages. His relief to find most of his systems still intact was short lived, however, as he heard Mamimi cry out in a very similar fashion. Johnny glanced behind him to find Mamimi in the same situation, visibly shaken but not out for the count. But something else caught his attention as well when he looked over his neko; her turbine-vehicle had stopped functioning.

And so did his.

“JOHNNY! BAIL OFF OF IT! TAKE COVER!” Warren shouted at the top of his lung as he dove back into an attack on the viscous Green enemy. He cursed to himself at the relative uselessness of his Type 1 against this level of Green technology, but he used it anyway…it was the only weapon command had issued him. He quickly pulled out another ammunition clip and replaced it into his weapon, pulling it back towards the AIR and commencing his gunfire once more. Warren realized that perhaps Kennedy did have the right idea with trying for a more direct physical attack…and as such, began to look for a good opportunity to attempt a speeding ram.

“Master! You must flee! Into the foliage!” Mamimi called out as she hopped off of her ruined ride and activated her thrusters downwards. Johnny didn’t need to be told twice, and awkwardly hopped over the side of his own turbine, activating his own propulsion systems to match his companions.

He was no quick enough, however. The Green powered armor was still focused on the two, taking advantage of their momentary disorientation and lack of shielding by assailing them with another few rounds of mass driver-propelled tungsten shells. While he was able to thrust out of the way of the first few shots, the last one caught him on the bicep of his right arm. Without the shield to take the blunt of the kinetic force, Johnny’s arm was thrown back in such sudden motion that it broke the bone and tendons of his arm with a sickening crunch and ripping sound. He was lucky that the shell had not caused a breach…but this hardly took away from the pain of the aftermath.

Mamimi turned in speechless horror as she heard Johnny emit a guttural roar of pain. Warren’s reaction was a bit more vocal.

“JOHNNY! FUCK, PULL HIM DOWN, DAMN IT!”

Mamimi did as told, quickly reaching up to grasp a hold of the Dark Demons’ leg as she fired her Type 1 back at the Green marine simultaneously. Her first priority was pulling her master to safety. Warren, on the other hand, seemed to grow even more angered at the sudden sway of power in the scenario. He growled in smoldering rage, flipping on his communication channel once more as he circled around to the backside of the Green AIR2.

“Kennedy, we’re in trouble over here, Johnny is hit, and this shitwad Greenie is wiping the floor with us! We need help!”

The squad leader did not reply. His own fight with the enemy Warhawk had grown much more visceral, the close-quarters combat taking its toll on both of them. At that moment, the Green NDI armor had attached itself to the side of the turbine after being hit by a broadside slam. Kennedy swerved again, attempting to pull his Type 1 rifle to the other side to deliver a few point-blank shots to the Warhawk’s exposed hull…but the Green had beaten him to the punch. The Warhawk unleashed a barrage of autocannon fire directly into Kennedy’s stomach, breaching the outer hull and further filling the cybernetic Nepleslian’s Dark Demon with murky ocean water. Kennedy’s body was built pretty solid; he had no fear of the extreme pressure of the depths, and the shots to his belly did not seem to be affecting his overall performance. Never the less, he knew that it was time to scrap this bothersome bug off, and did so by turning his turbine and running the edge harshly along the sea floor. It worked well enough, the friction harsh enough to pull the Warhawk off of his mount while he made a quick retreat to make another pass.

Warren didn’t have time to be pissed off. He just simply turned his turbine-vehicle and adjusted its trajectory into the path of his Green marine target.

Mamimi, still fearlessly attempting to pull her injured master into the covering folds of the rocky sea bed, could not help but gasp a worried breath as she shifted her gaze upwards. Johnny was still quite clearly in pain, but his roars of anguish had turned into breaths of seething torment as he grasped his broken appendage with his other working hand.

That moment had cost her, however, as the AIR-clad marine landed another heavy blow with a solid charge. The shell hit dead-center, the force breaking through her shield and colliding against the chest of her Dark Demon, causing the neko to scream out in surprise as she and her master were thrown backwards into the underbrush. The blow itself, luckily, did not breach the thick armor plating, but Mamimi still felt much of the trauma from the inside, and her mind blanked momentarily as her thoughts attempted to process the pain…something she had not felt in quite some time.

“Mamimi!” Johnny yelled through his own injury, and quickly stood up and thrusted over to his fallen companion. A quick check to of his HUD revealed that her vitals were still fine, to his great relief…but he had bigger problems at the moment that required his attention. The young Nepleslian glared heatedly upwards through the kelp, quickly distinguishing the enemy armor out in the open still. He saw Warren farther ahead, beginning to make a charge towards the AIR armor. He had to help Warren…

---

The next series of events for Warren happened at such a blinding speed that it wasn’t hard to understand his confused responses. As he sped forward on his turbine vehicle, Warren yelled out a sharp battlecry as he steeled his resolve. However, after a short second of flight, something he did not expect happened. Johnny, utilizing his Dark Demon’s cloaking abilities, leaped up and latched himself to the legs of the dangerous foe as he attempted to hold it still for the oncoming ram. The young Nepleslia was in great pain…and wasn’t quite thinking straight. In fact, at this point of the fight, everything had begun to break down into chaos.

“Johnny!? What the fuck are you doing?!”

“I got him! Come on, ram that thing down his throat!”

“Johnny, get the fuck off of it! I have it under control!”

“COMMON!”

Warren watched in horror as the Green soldier raised the lance-like object in his hand and aimed it downwards as he and his friend argued through gritted teeth through the squad’s communication channel. Things were happening too fast.

“Johnny, get off of it!”

“I have him held down, come on, SPEED IT UP!”

“Johnny, fucking LET GO and GET AWAY!”

“…m…master…?”

“COMMON! Hurry up an-”

The pointed spear came down. The first thrust broke through the neck of Johnny’s Dark Demon, piercing its way into his upper chest and snapping through his vertebrae in the process. His body locked up as a result, still clinging lifelessly onto the lower torso of the AIR armor as the life quickly slipped from Johnny’s body. The Green soldier continued to struggle to get loose from the death grip the Dark Demon had placed on him as Warren continued to charge forward.

“JOHNNY!!” Warren shouted at the top of his lungs, an air of defeat bitterly lacing his tone. His moment of sadness was quick to turn into a blaze of aggression, however, as he shouted another warcry as he narrowed the final distances between him and his target.

Mamimi had come out of her daze just in time to poke her head curiously out of the underbrush, only to watch as the end of the AIR2’s lance thrusted down mercilessly into her masters’ neck. At first, the enslaved neko did not see it…she only saw the Green AIR2, and a little blip on her Dark Demon’s HUD. As the moment drew out and she began to realize what had happened, her mind blanked and her thoughts became muddled, slurred, and wrought with confusion. She could not find any words to say anything, to anyone.

As Warren came within mere feet of ramming his speeding mount into the Green soldier, the AIR2 lifted Johnny’s lifeless body and, utilizing the repulse fields known to be on common NAM AIR models, hurled the corpse straight into Warren. The Nepleslian did not have time to think, or dodge at that point…the collision, for both the Green and Warren, was imminent and unavoidable. Warren was thrown off of his bike, while the turbine smashed heavily into the Green marine, carrying him with it as it continued to speed upwards through the ocean blue.

“…Johnny?” A voice, grating like metal grating across metal, spoke out to question the yelling in the communication channel, not particularly at anyone. Kennedy’s fight with the Warhawk had taken its toll on the cybernetic body of the Red squad leader. The wound to his stomach, although initially minimal at best, had quickly filled with the salty, murky ocean water which began to weed its way through his robotic systems. At this point, Kennedy was experiencing so many malfunctioning systems that nearly everything was fuddled beyond reason to him. “What happened to Johnny?” were the last words he spoke as he continued to speed along on this turbine. The combined damages had taken their toll; Kennedy’s body shorted out just as his thoughts of Johnny bled out of his consciousness. His lifeless body would continue to ride aimlessly on this turbine vehicle until the Warhawk finally shot it down, put a final series of bullets into the head of his Dark Demon, and sped off to assist the other Green.

Warren was not so lucky. As Johnny’s body crashed into his armor, Warren’s neck brace in his Dark Demon, the one he had mentioned earlier, came loose and broke from the stress of the impact. The whiplash of such a sudden stop brought Warren’s head forward and smashed his face soundly against the metallic HUD of the Dark Demon’s mask armor, effectively silencing the shout of surprise from the event. The force of the collision cracked and fractured the frontal lobe of his skull as a result…Warren was barely alive when the Warhawk swept up and finished him off as he floated back down towards the sea bed.

Only Mamimi remained.

---

The neko slave did not take notice as Warren and Kennedy died, their lifesign readouts blinking a flashing red on her HUD. Her eyes only focused on Johnny and his body as he slowly drifted downwards. She was in shock, confused as to what was happening, to why it was happening. She didn’t know much about the Red and Green conflict…she only knew what Johnny wanted to tell her. She learned everything from him, and had come to depend on him. Now, he was gone. She didn’t understand it. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see that the two Green soldiers had met up a few feet from her hidden position in the kelp underbrush. She couldn’t hear what they were saying, nor did she particularly care.

She could hear the garbled sounds of more screaming and yelling in her ears, most likely communications from the other Red squadrons around the area. Despite the home field advantage, it appeared the Greens were still having the upper hand. Perhaps it was the technology, or maybe it was something else. She didn’t know. She didn’t want to know. Mamimi would watch as Johnny’s Dark Demon continued to sink, not speaking, not moving, not thinking.

When his body came to rest upon the ground and ceased to move, the neko would suddenly feel something give inside of her body. A switch being flipped…or an object, placed under great stress, finally snapping under the weight. Whatever it was, Mamimi expression turned from one of regret…to one of anger. She turned away from Johnny and cast her reddening sight towards the two Green soldiers, focused on the smaller AIR2, and lunged forward as she unhitched the small vibroknife on her thigh. As she charged towards them, abandoning all reason in the heat of the moment, she screamed out at them.

”I’LL KILL YOU!"

The AIR2 had noticed her, and attempted to pierce her with a mighty throw of his lance. The neko’s reflexes were keened to such that dodging the attack required little more than a simple twist to the left. With that spear out of the way, Mamimi collided and locked with the AIR2, raising her vibroknife and bringing it down straight onto the neck plate of Johnny’s killer. The enraged neko focused all of her attention on dispatching her foe. She paid no heed to the Warhawk, or anything other than pressing her knife deeper into the Green until she could see his blood.

”I’LL KILL YOU!"

The AIR armor attempt to roll away from Mamimi. The neko made sure he could not escape, and wrapped her legs around him. When the Green soldier realized he could not break this grip, he retaliated with his own attack, raising his FMD at her armor and firing. The shell was another blue EMP charge…and it did not turn out as effective as he would’ve hoped. The pulse of energy against Mamimi’s unshielded and damaged systems completely shut down the Dark Demon…but this did not falter her assault on him. Although the Dark Demon had lost power, her innate strength was more than enough to get the job done. She raised the knife again and brought it down, once more.

”I’LL KILL YOU!"

Again, the AIR-clad Green marine pressed another attack, this time quickly adjusting his aim towards her stomach. This time, a solid white shell collided with the armor on her stomach; at such a close range, the blow dented and deformed the midsection of her armor, transferring much of the kinetic force straight into her torso. She felt this, quite clearly, and reeled back from both the pain of the attack and the force that came with it. She gasped and chocked, instinctually bringing a hand down to her belly as if rubbing the armor outside would help ease it. It, of course, did not. Mamimi tasted blood in her mouth, and saw nothing but bright white flashing for but a moment…but when her vision cleared, she immediately went back to killing her enemy, disregarding her injury. Mamimi raised her vibroknife high above her head, her intent to finally drive it into the neat little groove she had worked into the Green’s head quite clear.

”…I’LL K…KILL Y-YOU!"

In an instant, the AIR2 had reobtained its lance, and in that split second as Mamimi reached the apex of her swing, the Green soldier thrusted the weapon upwards into the cleft between her neck and shoulder blades. Mamimi coughed blood onto the front of her HUD, and found that she was unable to complete her swing. With her upper body raised away from the AIR’s, the Warhawk had a very clean shot…which he took, firing his SIAR at the Dark Demon’s upper torso. The rounds breached many areas in the upper chest and shattered the upper portion of the helmet, releasing a cloud of bubbles as the suit lost its pressure. Mamimi’s neko body could survive the pressure…but the shock of the blows disoriented her greatly, and the energy of the shots wrenched her body out of its death-grip on the AIR2, sending it flying backwards a few feet before it landed on an open patch of kelp.

A short span of time later, Mamimi slowly regained her senses as the salty water filled in around her face, leaking inside through the multiple breaches in her Dark Demon armor. She could barely move through the combination of pain in her chest, her torso, and her head…everything began to hurt as her rage began to subside. The neko lifted her head up, hoping to perhaps gain view of her foes once more to press on with her attack…but it was not them she saw first. It was Johnny. Or rather, his corpse.

It was a few yards ahead of her, stiff Dark Demon-clad body settled firmly in the soft ocean floor, not moving or budging. Mamimi’s gaze locked onto the corpse, taking in every detail through the enormous crack in her helmet. She would soon find that all of her rage and anger, hatred and bloodlust turned into a feeling of regret so severe, of sorrow so deep that it blocked out all forms of pain she could ever possibly feel. Her chest ached with an intensity she had never experienced before…or at least, never experienced since her reprogramming all those years back before Johnny.

Mamimi’s eyes fell upon Johnny’s legs, lying down in the mud at rest…legs that used to playfully flee from her whenever Johnny brought her a treat. They no longer ran, but simply…lay there, the shifting sands slowly covering them as time passed. Her eyes trailed upwards to his arm, mangled and set at an odd angle, lying helpless next to his chest. It was the same arm that held her so dearly, so gently every night they had spent together. It no longer reached out to grasp her, but lay broken before her, never to touch her again. Mamimi’s wavering vision met the mask of the Dark Demon, still intact as it stared blankly into the open expanse of the Kennewes depths. Mamimi could see the face behind it, still smiling softly down at her, a face that had never looked upon her with anything but the utmost love and care. The distraught neko could not bear to think of those eyes being darkened and grayed by the faded haze of death.

Mamimi found herself clawing her way towards him in the midst of her mourning. She could not move her legs…but she was doubtful that she had the strength to raise herself anyway. Her Dark Demon was still in full lockdown from the EMP blast she had received trying to kill Johnny’s killer…its systems were of no use to her, and without power, the limbs of her Dark Demon took all of her strength to move every inch. As she crawled forward, grabbing fistfuls of kelp and sand, the pain in her chest multiplied with each movement. She wanted to scream in anguish, but could not find her voice. She wanted to sob in pain, but could not find the breath. She wanted to cry in sorrow, but the murky water in her helmet quickly absorbed the fluid that leaked from her eyes into meaninglessness. As the distance between the two closed the neko opened her mouth in silently agony, her vision blurred by the damage to her body or the pain in her heart…she could not tell at this point. Mamimi never took notice to Johnny’s Type 1 rifle lying next to him at any point.

She felt series of sharper pains in her back as the two Green soldiers ended her movements with one final killing blow. The neko reached her arm outward towards Johnny’s lifeless body one final time, and then slumped down, her body spent and extinguished as the life fell from behind her eyes.

---

A few days later, scrapyard manager Dave Skitters resold a rusty old spacecraft to a Red engineering team, who disassembled the small craft for parts for an autocannon turret. Dave regretted having to resell the vessel, as the original buyer was sort of a friend of his…and he was going to be paid a lot more than what the engineering team had offered.

Still, business was business. Kennewes wasn’t getting any younger.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back