• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Closed Remove Nomenclature Requirements for Submissions

These suggestions have been dropped by the suggestor or rejected by staff.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charmaylarg Dufrain

🎖️ Game Master
Yeah, this is 100% spurred on in regards to my own ineptitude to understand or fathom the nomenclature system and is in no way being spiteful at andrew in my recent submissions who is just doing his job in the NTSE. And comes from the perspective and irritation of someone who makes a lot of articles (not compared to someone like wes, but I consider myself above average compared to most in how much I put on the wiki).

Actual pitch tho:

As it stands the Standard Product Nomenclature adds nothing substantial or really even at all to the RP experience except in I'm sure some very uncommon cases where a GM quoted some nomenclature code for whatever reason and offered nothing to the OOC or creation/submission process. It is a pointless and irksome requirement that unlike in the real world where such nomenclature makes searching and finding products in, say, a military or product catalog easier for logistics and requisition; Here on sarp it exists for that reason for in character products, but is pointless OOC to force onto articles and is not used in any way I have ever encountered in character.

I have for the longest time stood on my soap box and rallied for less of a paperwork aspect to submission and creation which has been slowly creeping in more and more over the years despite events like the pandemic lowering player counts and time to dedicate to this community due to real life taking a greater majority and priority of our time, and still rules and systems seem to creep in such as now having actual paperwork to fill out in the form of struct, forcing players if they want to submit something to roleplay requirements despite the fact that we are here to have fun and not slog out an entire thread or 10,000 word essay just to be able to submit something at an all-time low of submissions and RP ---->in my opinion<----- (though I have enjoyed the temporary lifting of the RP requirements and hope wes sees fit to keep it lifted indefinately for those of us who make a lot of stuff and don't have time to spare as is.), pointless and redundant templates to fill out that feel like half the information required is just to make an article look longer, and others that add up to pointless redundancy so this isn't a new development.

But I am proposing that until the day wes makes some fancy AI-generator that you can input the nomenclature options and find a link (and even then make it a tool not a forced requirement to use) that the nomenclature no longer be a part of the submission process unless FMs want them for their faction for whatever reason.

Before anyone points it out I am aware that submitters can opt not to do nomenclature at all and let the NTSE fill that in, but the whole process is redundant and unnecessary for a system that adds at most six to eight letters and a single line nobody reads or memorizes to already bloated articles and adds yet one more thing our already sparse NTSE staff have to do or check which should not be required of them either. Im aware it has been around for quite a while but in my opinion removing it is one small step to encourage more creation without scaring new players with the paperwork aspect of creation and submission.

That is all, sorry If I did not word any of that well; I often tend to rant into the dozens of paragraphs and often cut them down before posting.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Is it really helpful to get rid of helpful and flavorful standards that make SARP unique in-character? I’m not sure getting rid of something cool like nomenclature just because it makes 3 minutes of extra work per submission really enhances the setting. If anything, it reduces the high quality SARP’s articles have.

For perspective, submitters annoyed by this standard have proposed the removal of nomenclature before and it’s been shot down every time.

helpful and flavorful standards that make SARP unique in-character
There is plenty to keep sarp unique and I hardly see it as helpful in any in-character sense or interactions. You can say Nep or Yam have nomenclature and spout off some fancy nomenclature in character if you want to as is, yet nobody does. If they want to reference something they do, or they link it in their posts with the link function.

As for Reducing Quality, I disagree. A letter code is not a magical +1 modifier that makes an article higher quality in the same way making an article longer by adding more words 9/10 players wont even read as they skim to the weapons and look at the art doesnt make it better, just longer. In the sense of Nomenclature it's the same; It is just a little code that serves no purpose to be a requirement for submission.

Wes can choose for Yamatai to still have nomenclature, the page for it literally states it was made by yamatai, for yamatai. And is used IC by corporations following their example. Skully can choose for nep to use it. And etc.

But as I stated in my reasoning there is literally this saying of the straw that broke the camel's back. And every little thing we add to the creation process as a requirement makes it more unappealing to create for new and existing players when we do nothing to phase out outdated systems or balance every new requirement Eventually you've made so many hoops to jump through that we've reached a point where this isnt a roleplaying/writing community but instead a parallel to some office job when we are here to have fun and not file paperwork. Im not trying to take away aether here, I am simply asking that a system you can still choose to use not be a forced requirement but instead go back to being flavor text.

I mean, I was recently JPing with a new player and they said there were "Na-W/P-08 V4Cs Heavy Automatic Sidearms" in their tag and I immediately went, woah those are Nepleslian guns in our Yamataian covert RP, how cool! Without them needing to say "Nepleslian" or for me to look it up, I knew based on the nomenclature alone. I thought it was a very nice way to include flavor through a string of letters and numbers without explicitly saying too much.

If the creator of those guns had opted to not have nomenclature, then that writer wouldn't have had the opportunity to include it. It's one of those instances where the submitter doing a little more adds a little more to the writers that come after them.

I think the fact that we added the reviewer-assigned standard nomenclature kind of negates this. This puts it on the reviewer (which in your case I gave you a list of nomenclature to add) for those who don't understand it. I agree with Raz. This is something that makes SARP unique and therefore I'm against getting rid of it.

see:

Charmaylarg, would you be okay with it if it was just, like, the staff assigns international nomenclatures sometime at/after approval?

I mean my whole point is that people can still use it. I'm just pitching that the Claus removed that it be a requirement.
I have never used it in RP, and while Ame has in her link there I have also never encountered it in RP and it feels redundant to be an OOC requirement for submission, reviewer assigned or not.

I am no longer NTSE, I gave that up a while ago. And while andrew and you have no issue with assigning it as you have stated I want an environment where less paperwork have to be filled out at both ends of the review process and this is just a very small step in that direction.

Where we have more articles of fun and cool stuff and more time and motivation to RP instead of slowly adding more and more tiny rules and requirements we balance that by removing a few small redundant ones that will add up over time.

You can say Nep or Yam have nomenclature and spout off some fancy nomenclature in character if you want to as is, yet nobody does.
I have used the nomenclature names of specific tech pieces for years in RP. It's always a fun twist to include those technical bits as part of a post's prose, as they provide an opportunity to go full "The Things They Carried" within the SARPiverse. And as a submitter of extremely high quality wiki articles on top of being a roleplayer, I appreciate that certain requirements are there. Keeps me from being lazy and all that.

It's good to have extra little bits. Requiring submissions to have a ton of little requirements that add up in the course of writing only enhances the setting and the quality of articles.

Due to a score of 0, the suggestion is being tabled due to a lack of popularity. I'm guessing this is because submitting nomenclatures is already optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back