• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

In Progress Responsibly Implement a Wipe of Abandoned WIPs

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Whereas:
  • There is currently a significant buildup of 1,035 WIP articles
  • Most of these articles are abandoned by their creators and realistically will never be finished.
  • Many of these are quite old, some over 10 years old
  • They clog up the search results
  • It is Star Army's policy to remove articles which meet the Criteria for Deletion (read the linked page for details)
  • To address the situation we previously implemented "Easy Mode" to reduce the amount of WIPs but it only went down by 30
  • I want handle this in a way that doesn't create major work for the members or for the staff (like having to go through 1035 articles one by one)
  • We want to present everyone an opportunity to save articles if they need them, both now and in the future
I propose:
  • A wipe of all WIPs to start fresh, done when the new year arrives
  • All WIPs would be saved as text files in a .zip file and posted
    • in case there's a WIP you need to restore, you can just simply grab it there and paste it back into the wiki
    • restorations from my backups can also be requested from me as usual
  • Do this once a year so there's never a massive backlog again.
So this would be a way to start with a clean slate but also done in a way that's done responsibly so that there's always a chance to restore anything if we later find that it's important or needed.

Yeah, I prefer this kind of heads-up as compared to the issue we had prior moving some pages into wip tho sadly many of those will obviously be removed
which was my entire complaint about losing them in a wip wipe and they will never be recovered by anyone...

Do you have a proposed date in mind? I know I am not the only one with a lack of free time at this time of year~

• January 1st, 2024:
    • Move them to a temporary holding folder wip_old on the wiki, give people a chance to reclaim if needed,
    • ZIP file is posted,
    • new WIP folder created
  • February 1st, 2024: wip_old will become inaccessible to most users (permissions change) but staff can still grab things for you need them to.
  • March 1st, 2024: wip_old is removed (zip file remains posted in case anyone needs to recover something, or they can ask me to grab it from a backup).

Slightly head of schedule, all WIPs have now been moved to the wip_2023_or_older: namespace. WIPs that are still being actively being worked on can be moved back the usual way or I can bulk move them using the admin move tree tool upon request.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back