• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Restricted Technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zesuaium is a good example of a tech that Wes kept as something that only Yamatai could produce but changed that within the last 5 years. Having the Kuvexians able to make it was huge!

During the war, the Kaiyo was boarded by them and lost a piece of its hull during. We went to an independent trading port near Kuvexian territory and haggled for rescuing someone's grandchild in order to get a relatively small piece of the material to be able to patch our hull. It felt really taboo and special to be able to get zesu from a non-Yamataian source—it was even gold! I think that exemplifies something that Wes has loosened restrictions on and shouldn't be discounted.

Unlike teleporters, zesu doesn't explode when you open the case and try to learn about it.

Kind of off-topic, but the revival of this thread just brought the thoughts to mind. It made me kind of sad in recent years when it seemed TDD things were being discussed so openly in the RP.

It is why I've held to the notion that the Norians in Tsenlan don't talk about the "exact location" of their origin, leaving it vague because of the secrecy revolving around TDD in Yamatai. The average SAoY crew or officer should be oblivious to things like Ayenee, Chrystalis, etc. Out of Universe operations should be held close and remain highly secretive. Its likely all the Norians in the setting had sworn an oath to keep this technology secret (As that in their society the use of this tech is common day cause they had operations across several 'universes').

My idea of factional niche or description is what something looks like. The shapes of thier ships, their uniforms, their species.

Zesu I will admit never made sense but im not arguing that. More that the article should get an update since EVERYONE KEEPS TELLING ME THE ELVES MAKE IT, and I keep meming that but there are so many things that are held on the forums or word of mouth instead of updated.

Im more arguing that it has been a decade or even two. These technologies exist and have existed in the face of others. Most everyone commenting in this thread has shared the same sentiment that it is time to re-evaluate what is considered advanced techology and how availiable it has become. Especially since STAR ARMY RP or not this setting has other factions and plots played by other people who have voices here and are entitled to tell their own stories and have the ability to have just as much fun as in yamatai and be able to make things without someone comming down claiming infringement or some weird rule.

We need to be creating more and RPing more instead of adding more rules and hoops to jump through to do those things.

I dont want zesu. I dont want neko. I dont want ST technology.

I want the ability to be able to make something and not have someone else come down and use OOC blocking to stop me if I want to make teleporters or make a PA that is better at something than the mindy. I want to be able to say in RP that there is a warehouse of broken Mindys some scavenger managed to somehow collect and keep from exploding and not have my DMs blow up. I want to be able to do something in RP and have RP interactions/repurcussions/engagements instead of being told no outright in a planning thread or told no because of a 10-15 year old rule or article.

*Edit: I have said my piece as have many others with what I believe to be the same stance on the matter. I don't wish to continue to argue and risk locking a good topic and thread over trying to argue with 'yeah but BECAUSE' in opposition to people in the community showing a desire for change of the status quo.

Last edited:
Oh, I'll be more cognizant with Ayenee then @Andrew. The Kaiyo, for instance, retains a TTD and utilizes it to get to Uesureya faster than the normal time it takes but doesn't divulge or discuss this and the transuniversal operations of the task force are certainly need to know.

Just because a rule is old doesn't mean it's not worthwhile to uphold, right?

Oh, I'll be more cognizant with Ayenee then @Andrew. The Kaiyo, for instance, retains a TTD and utilizes it to get to Uesureya faster than the normal time it takes but doesn't divulge or discuss this and the transuniversal operations of the task force are certainly need to know.

Just because a rule is old doesn't mean it's not worthwhile to uphold, right?
I wholeheartedly agree.

Sits and reads :wheeze:

I do want to say that it seems a little arbitrary and odd for the Mishhuvurthyar and other factions to not have teleportation realistically. A lot of factions have been at war with Yamatai for a long time, and reverse engineering exists. And even without reverse engineering, it seems unreasonable that other factions would not be able to come up with other forms of teleportation on their own (same applies with any other technological advancement). The OOC restrictions seem rather stifling and odd for creativity, not only for other factions, but also for Yamatai itself. In character atleast, if other factions were to develop their own iterations of technology that Yamatai has, the latter (being an extremely advanced technological power) should feasibly be able to create counters and even better technology rather quickly.

It just seems rather odd from a setting and in character perspective, since I personally do not see a good reason why other species haven't reversed engineered or cooked up their own versions or alternatives to counter yamataian technology. I dont think that allowing others to develop similar concepts for teleportation and such would affect yamatai as much, at the end of the day, they are still the flagship faction and retain a rather sizeable technological advantage. People dont pick the funny catgirl faction for the teleporters (unless youre Sunny D), they pick them for the funny catgirls -w-....

Yamatai has been working hard to keep the tech out of enemy hands, including the YSS Kanagawa plot specifically fighting to get back some captured ones.

I'm sure it won't last forever. Anything the players use on an enemy will eventually get used back on them, someday...

I've already answered this thread's question and it seems to have lost focus so I'm going to close the thread. I will try to make the list of tech more clear and easily findable on the wiki soon.

Reactions: raz
Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back