• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

[Resubmitting] 600mm Chase Railgun

Abwehran Commander

Inactive Member
With all this talk of railguns, I decided to revisit my most powerful railgun with some physics formulas (basic ones). After some calculations, I found the original design to have kinetic energy equivalent to the energy output of a solar flare. Needless to say, this is way too powerful for an SDR 5 weapon.

In an effort to decrease this to a more manageable level, I reduced the velocity from 60% the speed of light to 40% the speed of light. What I got was the explosive power of 29 gigatons or approximately half the explosive power of a metric ton of matter/antimatter. This is much better compared to the original and still powerful enough to rate SDR 5.

In light of the velocity change, I reduced the maximum effective velocity from 5 light seconds to 2 light seconds (the distance it takes the round to travel from muzzle to target in 5 seconds).

600mm Chase Railgun

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…