Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Royal Titles?

DocTomoe

Inactive Member
I have a simple question; would Hanako still be referred to as "Hanako-Hime", or is she not considered a princess anymore since her clan has lost their claim to the throne?

My view on things is that there are several influencial clans within the Empire. The Ketsurui and the Kessaku are some of the better known one, with the Motoyoshi being another which is on the rise.

Personally, I'd see them as noble houses, pretty much. The clan selected to be the ruling one happens to be royalty, so, Katsuko would be the Empress and Kiyoko Motoyoshi would effectively be an imperial princess.

Hanako is still a princess of the Ketsurui clan (treat it as a duchy, pretty much), but she would no longer be an imperial princess.

I asked Wes a question a while ago around those lines but seeing the Ketsurui were the unchallenged topdogs then, he never seemed to have put all that much thought in it. I guess this does deserve mention, seeing that clans are starting to become a bit more important.

This brings up other points from me, though.

Firstly, the Ketsurui Samurai are just that: of the Ketsurui clan. Odds are very good that they would not serve Katsuko.

Secondly, I find there's a very good chance that Katsuko might come to rule from the empress' palace, it's important to remember that the Ketsurui clan remain very powerful in Yamatai. They have their own castle city at Ketsurui no Iori and with the Ketsurui Zaibatsu still present and in business (and backing the Yamatai war machine). While Uesu did surrender the throne, it does not mean that the Ketsurui will never have it back.

Which brings the third point: succession. Standing as Emperor or Empress is a term which lasts a couple of years, not a lifetime. Establishing what determines which clan is the ruling clan as well as the process of selection for the next Empress/Emperor could deserve some attention.

Though we, I don't think we've had a non-Ketsurui ruler in a very long time, so far the succession has been 100% dynastic, this is the first time I know of that it's changed clans. The past rulers have always some how been absorbed into the Ketsurui clan in the past.

This is why differing courts made Japan and China ridiculous. You have differing forms of nobility (family nobility, differing states, Imperial-backed nobility) and ridiculous amounts of rulings and stature behind it. Yamatai had to copy one of the utmost complex forms of medieval governments T~T admittedly, though, it does make for a good structure for one of the most powerful factions. After all, it sets Yamatai up for that potential claimant war/internal conflict with far more ease. Just Game of Thrones-status shenanigans of "playing the game" if you want to rise both via birth-right, privilege, and other factors I'm obviously leaving out to keep this short and sweet-ish.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back