• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Rule Change

Kotori said:
The star-killing weapon was my doing too, not Wes'. He can't be blamed for that (though Quantum Detonators with a 10 ly range is a bit pushing it - it could have had been 3 ly and still have been pretty awesome).
So my system destroyer is possible! =D

The issue is, what if we don't want Yamatai's versions of technology, such as Aether beams, generators, Yamataium, etc?

Its quite simple, some of us don't enjoy Yamatai's technology because of the disgust of using such things. At least that is my point of view. I dislike the idea of armor that goes through an automatic regeneration after taking damage, weapons that instantly rip through every armor in the setting, and generators that never run dry (Unless Osaka's ship gets approved). Its a matter of being able to introduce a new technology into the setting that a player can take pride in using, due to knowing that it is not a weapon made from physics rape and plot device (plus some amount of fail).

I know this kind of babble seems old fashioned and silly, but there are some people who like to stray away from the pinnacle of technology, if that pinnacle is something that is so absurd that it makes a player feel guilty for using it (Much like end-game weapons in many games. Anyone who did not spam Knights Of The Round on FFVII would understand where I am coming from).

The recent tech submissions which have strayed away from Zesuaium, Aether, CDD, Etc. have been some of the best submissions as of late. Sure, there may be a dizzying amount of new technology, ships, weapons, etc, but there is a use for these things for some player groups (Lorath, Elysians, Nepleslians, Sourcians, Freespacers, maybe even pirates). Also, not every player is playing as a member of a government or major corporation and a large number of technologies which would give a merc or even every day salvager a hope against a SMX ship are illegal for their possession by law of the Yamatai Star Empire.

There are other technologies besides those of Yamatai. And the restrictions on new systems does not ban each and every single thing that could come across the tech board. It is meant to flatten technological development and inspire more creative things, such as some of the submissions that have come through.

Disgust with Yamatai tech is fine and understandable, but you'll notice their tech isn't helping them much right now. If you want to take over Yamatai or destroy it, wait until the SMX crushes them.

That's all this is, right? Everyone just wants to waste Yamatai?

I simply wish to make them realize the are not god to traipse across the galaxy at will. I wouldn't mind helping some of the smaller groups that they Suppress either.

I honestly don't think people hate Yamatai.

However, when technology is compared, it's always compared to Yamatai because they have the best of it. New type of weapon system - Compared to Aether cannons. New model of power armor - Compared to a Mindy.

...but I bet it's mostly because it's so cool to hate popular things. Especially on the internets.

... Personaly I don't hate the Yamatians. I do have some disgust for Japanise culture though.

(Is currently writing a paper about the negative influacne of Japanise culture on american culture... conformists, all of 'em)

And I like Role-playing with less then perfect power/weapons/devices... Because it's FUN having something fail on you/run out of ammo/ etc.

Uso Tasuki said:
How can we be creative if we aren't allowed to make new things?
You are allowed to make new things, just not new FTL methods (stick with CDD/Hyperspace please) and new crazy armors like Zesuaium (it's generally agreed we don't need more uber stuff).

You know, perhaps after a race or fraction has achived the nessesary growth and presence in the SARP, they can be given allowances for unique and real life physics bending technology.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back