• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Rejected Submission [Rules] Military Buildup Limitations Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrostJaeger

Banned Member
  • Submission Type: Rules Update
  • Submission URL: Linky
  • Original Article URL: Linky
  • Faction: N/A
  • FM Approved Yet: No, @Wes
  • Faction requires art? Not applicable.
  • Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Nope.
  • Contains New Art? Nope.
  • Previously Submitted?Nope.

Tis' basically my attempt at clarifying the somewhat-ambiguous wording of the original military buildup limitations, especially in regards to shipyards; also contains a few minor grammar and spelling corrections.

Reactions: raz
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Looks pretty helpful.

I like the additions.

In regards to the star fortress build time of two months, I have spent 6 months waiting on an OOSY Shipyard station and it's a 2 year build. The idea that lead to this decision was one of scale, the station is so huge that assembly would take IC years.

Would this apply retroactively?

The additional links and grammatical corrections for this article are quite welcome, however, there's a few issues with it.

First, I would suggest removing refit times; how often a ship needs a refit has traditionally been left up to the ship article itself. However, considering multiple factions may have varying tech levels and the like, the actual refit times will likely vary a lot. You'll also have to remove some of the 'Additional Notes' at the bottom as well.

A faction can always buy or commission another faction to produce for it IC, so remove the restriction regarding only having new ones be built by themselves. Additionally, the ability of a planet to produce or build a shipyard will likely vary greatly depending on the size and scope of said shipyards, so you will need to remove the restriction on that one as well. Naturally, a whole world with proper industry can build multiple small ones at once, or perhaps just one ultra-large one. Even then, a place like Nepleslia can likely have a core-world build more than one simply due to the sheer workforce and resources available. The same goes for the restriction on a shipyard only being able to refit one ship at a time; it would be strange to believe that something like a multi-kilometer long shipyard can only service a corvette or a dreadnought, but not both at once. The same goes for the rule stipulating that a shipyard cannot work on something larger than itself. They can easily work on the pieces of something larger and have those moved into position once done.

More importantly, the new faction asset restriction is very unrealistic and rigid, especially if new factions are formed through roleplay, and were roleplayed acquiring far more than these limits. It's a pointless addition since new factions will always have Wes involved to some degree or another; he always and without exception gets final say on fleet sizes of a starting faction.

This is not a setting submission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back