• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[SAINT]Encrypted Laser Transmitter

Just a couple of thoughts.

Shouldn't this be a transceiver. So that the units can confirm a connection before sending? Using a laser the targetting is critical and given the nature of the SAINT mission, I would think you want to ensure that you have a connection before you broadcast your data.

Wouldn't an x-ray laser be a bit better so as to minimize the effect of minor atmospheric issues like clouds, fog, etc.

I presume that the actual transmission would be a compressed packet to minimize the transmit time.

That's actually a good point. Here's what I was thinking though. In order for the device to be able to receive, the device would need to be larger. The target transceivers will always be larger than this device, so hitting those would be a little easier.

As it is, it is simply too small. Someone sending a laser transmission from any range greater than 5 feet will need extra-ordinary accuracy to hit the transceiver of this device, and if you're talking about the device doing a talk back to itself to confirm the target it won't quite work either. If the device were at any angle other than perfectly parallel with the ground, its own confirmation transmission will bounce off of the receiver (or any other surface) and not back to the device. If the target isn't perfectly flat then the laser would be reflected at a different angle as well. As that is, there are just too many variables.

Simply put, this is the first part of a small communications kit. This part allows you to transmit (to larger targets such as power armor, or stationary targets that you know the location of). Another device, most likely a 4x4 inch pad that attaches to datapads will allow the operative to receive transmissions. So you are correct in believing there isn't a way to confirm that you're target has received the transmission.

As for X-Ray, that's a good point. Originally this was just an invisible laser, but X-Ray would be good for the reasons you suggested. And yes, packet compression (as well as encryption) is used. I should mention that.

I supposed that in that kit will be a gyroscopically stabilized mechanism to keep the laser stable during transmission.

an external device to attach the laser to. A small tripod like device perhaps

Internal battery I'm thinking 4 hours continuous use. Each transmission should last at most 30 seconds, so there would be no need to create a rechargeable battery. To replace the battery you'd need to unscrew the back, and using a pair of tweezers or something thin, gently pull out the data port*. That will reveal the battery, which you can then slide out and replace.

* the dataport will still be attached via a thin flat cable that runs down the inside of the laser's shell.

Yes. It's useful for agents to send messages or files while undercover basically. They point it a receiver, and click. Less than 30 seconds later it will be done sending (could take alittle longer depending on how much they're sending). It's size allows for it to be used while doing something else (like walk or something) as well, though you still need to make sure your pointed at the target.

In short: Yes, burst communication.

Have you updated the submission to include the answers to this thread's questions?

All except the latest ones I responded to. I've been pretty swamped with a take home exam and classes the last few days, but I'm catching up now.

Also:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh18 ... i/bagh.png

Image :) Note: I realize that the image isn't really necessary, that's why i stuck it here and not the wiki. Besides, I dunno what a dataport really looks like and that's the best model I've ever made.

edit: wiki changes have been made.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back