• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

SANDRA [SANDRA] First of Refugee Masses Transported Home

First of Refugee Masses Transported Home
By Ichiro Fujiko, Star Army News Distribution and Reporting Agency

It is a momentous occasion for the people of UX-13 I. It's a planet that, besides being used for a Star Army training camp, was not particularly notable until YE 33 when the former UOC was evacuated by Yamatai, Nepleslia, and the Abwehran Star Empire due to its invasion by the NMX. The enormous flood of refugees created were scattered throughout the Yamatai Star Empire, with hundreds and hundreds of refugee camps springing up to be filled with quonset huts and people who have lived on them and tended their farms for the last three years.

Today, those huts are being cleared out by their residents who are bringing themselves to makeshift spaceports to catch a ride on specially-converted cargo ships from Star Army of Yamatai's logistics division. The ships' cargo bays have been filled with passenger modules allowing each to carry over 42,000 people at a time. This conversion is a temporary measure until large passenger mass transport ships like Geshrinari shipyards' Matsuri-class is finished and available. The ships are headed for the refugees' original homes in the Yugumo Cluster.

The citizens of the refugee camps, who have remained in the camps of their free will, now face a choice. As the refugee camps on UX-13 I begin to close, they can finally move to other worlds as regular citizens as many refugees have already done, they can return to their residences in the former UOC, or they can cling to their refugee status and relocate to one of the remaining camps.

"I don't think there's anything left for me on Jiyuu. The Mishhu really left a trail of destruction," said Ishibashi Ryu, a 34-year-old NH-22C Yamataian. "I'm thinking I might go to Anisa or another farm world. But it's nice the people who go home can do that."

"It's kind of a pain because after having to start over all over again three times now," Anna Watanabe told our reporter. "We had to start again with the UOC, then in this camp, and now we have to rebuild a civilization from the ground up over there in the East."

The Yamatai Star Empire is also shipping a large amount of what it calls "Frontier Starter Supplies" from its stock, which will give a year's worth of food and an extensive supply of building materials to jumpstart the rebuilding of Jiyuu's population. The effort is akin to starting a new colony planet, but on an unusually large scale due to the large numbers of people involved.

Despite complaints from some of the refugees, most were enthusiastic. Kanahiro Suzuki, a roboticist who identifies herself as a Jiyuuan, says: "I stayed in the camp because I knew this would only last a limited time. I guess I could have gone already but I would have needed more money and there would have been no community. So now there's a chance to be there with the people I know and have lived with for the last 3 years. So it will be the same but on a nicer planet and less government control."

"It's been a struggle," remarked Tanaka Ota, a farmer who once worked as drug store owner, "I don't care if my old store is still standing. I can rebuild it. I'm just glad to go home."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back