Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: 188604 SandWorld Surveillance

• Thread starter Thread starter Zack
  • Start date Start date
Z

Zack

<188604 Starport

Spacecase was sitting just outside his ship cleaning his gun and watching for people. He would call out to a person everynow and again asking about work.

While there were plenty of things running around, wasps, robots, even the occational car, there wasn't much in the way of people. The locals seemed to avoid the spaceport, prefering to remain indoors as much as possible. But despite all of this, someone did eventually seek Spacecase out. A woman, wearing tight fitting compression clothing in muted grey and black colors.

"Perhaps instead of trying to solicit work from the I'ee, you could talk with me?" she asked, approaching from a distance.

Space case put his gun back together and leaned against the wall next to him. "As long as it's interesting I'm in. So what do you need done?"

"What talents do you bring to the table?" she asked, getting a bit closer. It was easier to tell she had dark black hair and grey colored eyes as she got a bit closer, the woman pulling a bit of cloth off her head and tucking it around her neck as a scarf now that she was out of the wind. "From what I have seen, you can transfer people from one place to another. I can provide work as a courier."

Spacecase took off his gasmask. "I can do much more than transport others. I can be used as a long range scout, I can hit targets over 10 km away with my Finagle here." He patted his gun.

"Sorry, we do not have a lot of things to shoot right now. Though we have been falling behind in our scouting of this planet. I take it you can produce maps and setup survalence systems as well?" Vier asked.

"Ofcourse I can. I can also bring a passenger with me on my air bike if they need to get somewhere fast." He opened the back hatch and put his rifle away.

"Maybe we could start with something simple then. What would it cost us to have you start scouting the area around the city as well as drop some automated monitoring equipment?" Vier asked.

Spacecase nodded his head. "How much are you willing to pay?"

"Do you come with an hourly rate?" Vier asked, "We could also pay you Salary if you wish to stick around."

Spacecase walked back to Vier. "I think I'll be sticking around for a bit."

"600ks a week then?" Vier offered, "... as payment for helping explore and setup monitoring of the planet's surface."

Spacecase held out his hand. "Sounds good to me I'm not really one to argue since I don't do this 'payment' stuff, so I don't know how much a professional would charge."

"Our monitoring gear is fairly limited for the time being. We can provide you with some datapads attached to spikes that we can setup around the area, or we can provide you with funding to purchase your prefered tool for electronic monitoring." Vier replied.

"Funding would be better I could rig a system to automatically alert when something trips it. Takes out the human error."

"Then please do so, we will need an operational budget from you, and your system will need to be able to feed visual data back to our network. Naturally we will also require the network be resistant to the atmosphere of this planet." Vier explained

Space case did a few quick calculations in his head before speaking. "The operational fee would be around 8000 KS. It will take me several months to set up and a few weeks to get the needed atmospheric readings, and another couple of weeks to run tests."

"Very well. We will front you 1000 now, submit your recepits for gear as you go along and we will re-emburse you for your expenses." Vier replied.

Spacecase simply nodded and replied. "Sure no problem."

188604> Osman City

Spacecase was traveling around Osman City on his airbike looking for something to do.

Seeing a large group of locals Spacecase pulled hard sliding into a stop. he got off with his rifle slung across his shoulder. "Whats going on here?"

The locals would almost immidiately disperse, each going about their own ways. Relations were still frayed on the planet, and the locals were for the most part not wanting to interact with the outsiders unlesss it was absolutely nessisary.

However, the sandy wastes beyond the city were still waiting for him, and he did have a contract to provide monitoring for that area.

At first Spacecase tried to flag one of the locals down so that he could find out where he could find a good guide. After several failed attempts at this he grabbed one by the shoulder.

"Excuse me but where could I find a guide. You see I'm heading out into the wastes and I'd like to not get lost."

"H...hey man, I don't want any trouble..." The robe'd man said, backing away from Spacecase as qucikly as he could, "I don't want to get exploded... or hung... or shot into space...."

Spacecase shook his head and laughed. "I'm not here to hurt you I just want some info. I don't know what your idea of people like me is or why your so scared."

Spacecase produced some cash. "Will this be worth your trouble?"

"....just how much are you offerin'?" The man asked, taking a careful look at the cash being held out.

Spacecase counted out 100 DA. "How about 100 DA? Is that good?"

"I don't know... I'm riskin my life here.... hows about 500 DEE AYE?" He asked, skeptically looking at the money he was being offered.

Spacecase pondered the idea for a little bit. "I don't know what the exchange rate here is, but I'll accept." Spacecase put the 100 DA back into the bag he took them out of and tossed it at the man.

Spacecase got back on the bike. "If your going to be the guide hop on and tell me where we're going. If your not point me to where I can find a guide."

"Ah..... fuck..... I should have asked for more." The man said outloud, reluctantly taking the money and stuffing it into his robe's pockets. "I mean... where do you want to go? I can kinda tell you what is around here... OH! We could go to that spaceman resturant that opened up in town! It is uh.... left... that way." Gestures were made towards the center of Osman city, in hopes that food would happen soon.

Spacecase nodded at the man and did as he was told. "Well if you don't want to come tell me where I can find someone who can guide me around the planet. Uso wants me to set up a sensor grid so I'm going to be all around this planet I'm setting up this city first though."

Thinking for a quick second as he drove. "I'll pay you more as I complete my tasks and how much you've helped me. Does that sound good?"

Upon arriving at the resturant he got off the bike and began to walk in. "Want a drink? I'll pay for it."

"Yeah, sure ok..." The man said, walking into Akemi's his eyes going wide at the sight of the menu... as well as the shapely women presenting them to customers. "I... .... What do you spacemen eat? What should I start with?" His eyes would end up trailing over to one of the nearby tables where someone was already enjoying a milk shake, "One of those maybe?!"

Spacecase laughed and grabbed a seat at the bar. "Sure man. What's your name by the way? Most people call me Sparrow but Spacecase is fine if you want to use that."

Spacecase flagged down a waitress. "Hey sweetie could I get a margarita and your best milkshake for the man with me."

"Sans...." He replied, sitting down at the bar, tapping his fingers a bit as the waitress quickly brought them what they asked for, setting their drinks out infront of them in record time!

Spacecase's new friend would waste no time trying the drink, guzzling the milkshake down.

Spacecase chuckled a bit witnessing Sans's spectacle. "You like it i take it?" Quickly drinking his own drink Spacecase turned to Sans. "Want one for the road?"

"Gohgg athhg amnsansz..." He gurgled, nodding... they didn't have anything quite like it until Akemi's showed up.

Laughing even harder Spacecase flagged down the waitress for 2 more milkshakes to go and the check.

Upon paying Spacecase walked out of the sat on the bike. "He pulled out a device that looked a lot like a pocket watch but with a lot of buttons and a glowing LED screen. Pressing one of the many buttons on it an audible chirp was admitted.

Not soon after 5 junker drones came to the scene carrying all of the needed equipment for the day. "These will be our workers. You'll guide me where we need to go then they will set up the devices. I will sync the system up and look out for wild animals or bandits." He pointed to his rifle. "I can hit a target over 10 km away with this baby. Oh by the way do you want a gun for yourself? I have too many lying around the ship and be happy to give you one."

"A hace hun?" Sans gurgled, finishing his milkshake with one large gulp before continuing, "A space gun? Yes, sure I'll take a space gun!" He said, sounding a bit excited.

Spacecase pressed another button and 2 more drones came out and spun around, their backs opened up to reveal a large assortment of weapons. "Pick one I'll teach you how to shoot it and what it shoots."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back