• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Scalar Mine

Xerena

Inactive Member
The Scalar Mine is simply a land mine (or sea mine, but a space mine would probably not be of much use) which, instead of exploding, emits a scalar field when triggered. The mines themselves are designed not to be harmed by scalar fields, allowing them to be layed in minefields without dudding each other, and are also shielded against EMP effects. They use a small cloaking device to hide from most sensors, and can be triggered by pressure, magnetic, thermal, mosion, or any other type of sensor one can imagine (and make small and cheap enough to put in a mine) and can also be set to use a time delay, or to wait until a certain number of units/peoplle are within a certain radius, or a variety of other conditions. They are powered by a small Zero Point Energy generator, and unlike exploding mines, they remain intact after being triggered and still pose a threat to the next wave of enemy troops, and they cannot be cleared by deliberately detonating them (today, this is the only method to quickly clear mines). They can be deployed just like ordinary mines (planted by an engineering unit, spread by artillery or aircraft, etc.). The blast radius is normally set to 3 meters horiontlly by 10 meters vertically, but can ge variied upt to 50 meter in every direction. The scalar field will kill vehicle crews and infantry (power armor or no power armor), detonate fuels and explosives, fry electronics, combust combustibles, destroy ablative armor, and all the other stuff scalar weapon normally do.

Some power armor have protection against scalar emissions. what's more, using a zero-point energy power cell... you'd actually would have the possibility of turning the mine into a very deadly explosive (just like Mindy armors can self-destruct).

Yes, I suppose you could, and that is probably exactly what the mine should do if someone attempts to remove or tamper with it. The main idea, however, is that the mine can "detonate" again and again without ever being consumed or running out of power, and don't have to be replaced. Since the scalar emitter draws more power than the tiny power cell can provide, it runs off a capacitor, which has to be recharged between discharges, so an individual mine could only fire once every 2 seconds at the default area of effecct (a vertical cylinder 3 m in radius by 10 m tall), or once every 30 seconds at its maximum (a sphere 50m in radius).

Perhaps a power source other than a ZPE cell could be used, but it would have to be something that doesn't get used up like a battery (I initially considered geothermal energy but that would severely restrict the places where these mines could be used).

Even if some power armors are protected against scalar fields, these could still be useful (especially if the mines are dense enough, with lots of overlapping scalar blasts, to overcome such protection by brute force, and the mines are programmed to wait until a lot of enemy unit are inside the kill zone and then all discharge at once).

a small cloaking device to hide from most sensors

Intelligent construction to keep emissions to a minimum and using materials which absorb or deflect sensor emissions designed to detect them would be just as effective and probably cheaper to mass-produce.

Okay, but I'm not really sure how much these things should sell for. As I understand, even though they've been approved, they're not actually on the market yet since I don't have a producer for them. What skills would be needed to improvise one (would Demolitions be enough if you have a scalar emitter and a power cell on hand, and what would be the requirements for improvising those)?

If it is possible, CSEIA might end up producing these on license, the exact details to be worked out in RP by my character and the one running CSEIA, though right now that is all speculative.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back