Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Scaled Pocket Universe Drive (SPUD)

Zakalwe

Inactive Member
SPUD (Scaled Pocket Universe Drive):

This is the newest form of Faster Than Light drive developed by NovaCorp, hoping to develop a form of FTL that it had actually invented, rather than using the CDD and Hyper-Fold Drives of SA.

This device working upon an improved form of Genesis technology, creates a pocket universe which the ship slips in to. The important factor in this universe it that while it is a pocket universe it is still linked to our universe except is ‘scaled', a term which means that, for example, one metre in this pocket universe would represent a kilometre in normal space, and when you come out of the SPU you have travelled further in real space than you have in the pocket universe. This in itself allows for extremely fast movement, although it is not good for accurate travel unless using a super computer, due to the fact that the scale is usually far higher than 1:1000, often lingering in the millions.

An added advantage is that each SPU is individual, and a ship while it is in the SPU does not interact with the normal universe, and the other way around, no force in the normal universe will interact with the ship in the SPU, unless trans-dimensional technology is used, and the right pocket universe is found (which is extremely hard, and you need to have been where the journey started to begin with), making it a very safe way to travel.

Due to the inability to interact between the SPU and the normal universe, it is necessary that the ship will open some micro-wormholes into the normal universe before leaving, to make sure that the ship does not walk directly into danger, or into a star and so on.

It can also serve well as a cloaking device, keeping in the SPU and with the only possibility of being sensed being the micro-wormholes being found (which is an extremely slim possibility indeed), which the ship uses to see from the SPU.

I admit NovaCorp technology makes me uneasy these days (I don't know why - I think I have antipathy towards that organisation without any good tangible reason - or it could be derived from freakish weaponry like the 'Genesis') but I don't see how bad the SPU would be.

Doesn't it do about what a CDD does in terms of movement and (slightly) less effective cloaking? It also doesn't have the capability to fire/project weaponry effectively like the combined field seems to be able to do or to decently shield the vessel.

What I'm getting at is that it doesn't seem to be overpowered. I'll admit though that I couldn't care less for the technological feasability.

An added advantage is that each SPU is individual, and a ship while it is in the SPU does not interact with the normal universe, and the other way around, no force in the normal universe will interact with the ship in the SPU, unless trans-dimensional technology is used, and the right pocket universe is found (which is extremely hard, and you need to have been where the journey started to begin with), making it a very safe way to travel.

This right here may be overpowered.

I don't like the idea of entire fleets being able to move in a cloaked manner across vast stretches of galaxy without any chance of interference from outside forces.

Surprise attacks would be way too easy with this.

Of course, we may already have a technology which makes my fears moot to begin with.

I don't know. Visiting pocket universes is a dangerous proposition. There's always the chance that it's a one way trip. :p

Approved, but with the condition that GMs roll to see if the ship returns.

0.10 x S = V

Where V is chance of disappearing from existance and S is the second number in the scale.

Thus scaling of 1:50 could result in a 5% chance of disappearing.

Uhm ... we might want to establish what the scale is then.

Because if we think of it as:

1 cm RS = 50 cm SPU

Then, if you're travelling at around about 0.9c, you're going to be travelling only 40 or so c.

Which is pretty slow ...

Unapproved by creator request.

If this thread could be deleted that would be great. I'm working on a different way to accomplish something simmilar and as it is I really hate having unaproved technology in this forum.

Oh my god. What you need to do is make this a form of Weapon. Store ammo in the pocket dimension, and when you pull the trigger is launches it with extreme velocity out the barrel. You could call it the... SPUD Gun...

Of course, more practicaly, you could get rid of the need for a drive system at all. Pocket dimensions are useful as fuck. place a modified version of this on a ship or other large device you would rather keep on you. Maybe you odn't want to pay for parking? Hit a button and suddenly all you have left is the Device. When you want it back, hit another button and POOF! You have a ship again. Just need to deal with how it would work in atmo, what with matter vanishing and reappearing rapidly making A) Vacuums or B) Pushing air instantly out of such a location... Have we fixed that issue? Maybe turn it on in a vacuum already?

Just make sure nothing is alive on board. That may be catastrophic.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back