Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: 188604 Selling Out

• Thread starter Thread starter Zack
  • Start date Start date
Z

Zack

~24 hours before [Star Wasp]9 : Operation Bright Venom

IN: The Hexagon, Penthouse suites.

Getting in to the Hexagon didn't exactly prove to be easy, even with the direct invitation from the head of security. After being stopped at the first checkpoint in the stark and corporate art filled lobby, followed by a fair amount of fuss over just how many scans Uso could take before being reduced to goo...

Well, it had been a production. Still, one elevator ride up to the top floor serenaded by the latest single from "Bloodmariner" was the only trial left before Uso would find herself in what seemed to be Van Banning's private quarters on the planet.

A large, open plan penthouse condominium full of sleek furniture and the latest modern conveniences. Everything here probably hand crafted by some highly regarded designer, even though they undoubtedly had connections at some sweatshop able to mass produce every piece.

Van Banning didn't seem to be here just yet. Only one of her bodyguards, the diminutive Kiri seemed to be loafing around on one of the sofas clad in kevlar and lace; her sword propped up against the filigree'd coffee table.

"I hope ya got an appointment?" She asked, looking over to the Empress like Uso owed her something.

"OH for fuck's sake," Uso snapped, crossing her arms over her chest, "Just go get your boss."

Kiri gave a little grin, picking up one of the cushions from the couch and flinging it roughly across the room to collide with one of the glass doors which led out to a balcony. "She's waitin' out there for ya. Candlelit dinner or some shit."

"Damn, I guess she is going to buy me dinner first," Uso said, her attention already having left Kiri as she made her way out onto the balcony, the aspiring Tyrant dressed in her usual tight fitting bodysuit, datapad clipped to the belt at her hips, and just a bit of dirt around her boots from the outside.

"VAN BANNING!" Uso shouted, "I haven't had someone try something like that in a LOOONG time."

Contrasting Uso's more utilitarian look, Van Banning sat outside looking like someone who had come home to relax after a long day at the office. Wearing about half of a perfectly fitted suit, her blouse untucked, tie untied, jacket gone. Her dress boots shined and were dirt free. The woman's long red hair tied back lazily into a loose bun, and her glasses rested on the table.

She turned in her seat to look at Uso before indicating another chair across from her, which stragetically left an assortment of light finger foods between them. Fine cheeses, crackers from boutique patisseries, olives and an assortment of dried fruits, rare imported meats. It didn't look like business at all.

"If I didn't know better I'd say you sound pleased." She said calmly.

"I try very hard not to be bored." Uso wasn't hiding her smile either, as she moved over to the table and leaned forward, bracing her hands against the back of the chair. "And its been so long since anyone has made a play on that level. Subtley trying to take over the planet under the guise of helping out. I may have even thought of signing... just for a moment, but that's what makes it such a good play.

So what did you really want? We both know I need as many ships as I can get right now, and that your few ships aren't worth this whole planet."

"Did you consider I might have just wanted to see your reaction?" Van Banning asked almost playfully. Almost. She took up a cheese knife and cut herself a few slices from the selection she'd had brought out.

"If I wished to take over the planet, I'd have just sent Daniels to kill you after you'd already lost your forces in this venture..."

"Well this is me reacting, besides you know that isn't going to work. I'm sure you've got a great opinion of dadsweater but ... well you know, thinly veiled threats, contengencies, ect. I think we're both the kinda person who doesn't ramble about their plans before they are needed." Uso said.

"Well, aren't you all business tonight." Van Banning said, taking up her glasses and sliding them on, standing up and walking over to the railing, getting a view of the great Green Sea, and the blossoming beach resort. "This place is worth a lot of money to me. You are visibly building real estate over... There... And my business is in investing in ventures that I wish to see succeed. But, you are running up against a point of stagnation causing you problems unless you get foreign investment in here, unless you want to bankroll every aspect of life from your own wallet."

"What I want is assurances that you'll succeed. And make us both a profit in the process. I also want some Misshuvurthyar samples to sell, if I may remind you of the standing bounties I provided you on our first meeting."

"I haven't forgotten, I said I would get you some NMX samples and I will deliver. I'm going to have something for you one way or the other in 50 hours." Uso would let go of the chair, and walk over to the railing, placing her arm around Van Banning and being sure to get right up into her personal space.

"Yes, I do want foreign investment, I would love to provide all those little people down there with real home and food that isn't from a burger joint, but I don't need it. I'm fucking killing it out there, we're growing faster than the major players can keep up with, and we're going to make everyone involved a lot of money.

Would your money.... your 'investment opportunities' be helpful? Yes. I'd love to not have to buy companies just to move them out here... but turning over entire sectors of industry to your friends? You're going to have to offer a lot to make that happen.

Of course, some local industry protections, import taxes, reciprocal deals? All day long. Sure." Uso replied.

"Turning over sectors of industry on a limited term contract. On a provision that they invest in and utilise local industries. You are the government, and may freely adjust tariffs upon your own terms, and may reject those applying for the contracts." Van Banning explained, moving one of her hands around to rest on top of Uso's invasion of her personal space. Up close she somehow smelled faintly of freshly cut grass, and felt just a bit more muscular than would be expected of the idle wealthy. There was also something strangely off about Van Banning that was hard to put a finger on...

"I have contacts in most sectors of industry and may promote for you, in exchange for my finder's fee."

"Right, everyone gets rich. But we both know if I turn over too much of the local industry I end up under thrall of your friends rather than the other way around. So lets take this slow, maybe one industry at a time and see how it works out for everyone?"

Uso had been hoping Van-banning would recoil away from her... after all that posturing from the security detail, the long wait in the lift... it was about time Uso start pushing back a little.

"I'm sure you've already got a few in mind?"

"Telecommunications, along with water and power utilities." Van Banning stated simply, in as much as things had gotten more intimate her expression hadn't changed. A perfect pokerface. "Lights in houses, running water, and the capacity to use digital currency will vastly improve quality of life and will make your new... Resort it seems? Look less as though it is surrounded by a slum where people shit out the window into a gutter."

"Just the basics huh?" Uso said, "We'll need assurances that these will be delivered on time, at a reasonable price, and with a good-faith clause that gives us an out in case your people decide to stonewall this planet's future.

That being said, I imagine your investors can't screw things up too much, and that means I'd get to focus on some other things....

... in exchange that would mean your investors get to set about their work without compitition... maybe a 1% tax rate just so we can keep some skin in the game...

Got any other asks?" Uso asked.

"Well, the assumption is that they would be putting in the money with a goal of making a profit off of these sectors. There would be no cost to you at all, only tax money returned. Of course it does mean that you'll be getting these utilities put in by the lowest bidder, but that's why you open them up to competition in the near future." Van Banning said informatively, turning in Uso's half-embrace to face her directly, "I'll have Pricefield write up a new contract for your review. And unless you're intending this going anywhere, you can let me go now."

"Worried that you wouldn't be on top?" Uso teased, turning to face the threat directly, her hand sliding down off Van Banning's shoulder, "Have your people draw up contracts for Water, Power, and Telecom individually. Base the deal around a 1 year exclusive contract with options to renegotiate at the end. We can then dial in the details from there."

"More I don't get enough time in my own bed to include people who back down from their own advances." Van Banning explained herself, straightening her collar, "I'll send them to you in the morning, as well as the joint military offer in exchange for my finder's fee. Daniels will renedezvous with you in orbit when you leave for the area of operations for this... Venture."

"Well then you're welcome to spend time in mine while we wait on those contracts," Uso replied, "I don't want anyone thinking that I don't do what I say."

"Hm? What did you say you were going to do now?" Van Banning said, her flat bored expression starting to break into the barest hint of a smile.

Uso started counting on her fingers, "Save the I'ee, Get you some NMX bodies to play with, and see you naked." Uso's three fingered hand had run out of fingers... "Maybe not in that order."

"Well then, I see you have your priorities in and out of order." Van Banning said with the smallest laugh. "And I didn't even need to buy you dinner first."

"Lets see if I can shut that smart mouth of yours...." Uso said, her hands on Van banning's hips, pulling her in close for a kiss.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back