Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

SERVER MOVED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
Discord Booster
🎨 Media Gallery
Due to having many long-standing issues our current webhost (including today's outage), I'm moving us to a new host. I've already backed up the site and I'm currently uploaded the site to the new server. Because of this, wiki editing has been temporarily disabled so no (post-backup) edits are lost during the move. Similarly, tomorrow when I move the forums, I will temporarily disable them so no posting them so no posts are lost (because if I left the forums running, posts made after the backup wouldn't get to the new server). I will try to keep everyone informed of what's going on via the IRC channel when that happens. We may have a couple days of sporadic availability while I get everything set up, and I appreciate all you roleplayers being patient. My goal is to make the move as smooth as possible and to make sure nothing is lost in the process.

Re: SERVER MOVE!

Tanka_001 said:
will that mean a new web address?

As far as my knowledge of web hosting goes, that doesn't mean a new address. The address is not generally owned by the server you are hosting on, and you take the address with you went you switch servers.

If you're reading this, you're viewing this post on the new server and the forums should fully operational again.

The old forums (the ones from 2004-2007) are now back online again too.

Hey, a few people are unable to load the boards. The wiki loads just fine for them but the forum does not, they just getting a notice stating the board is disabled.

View attachment 2382

There have been some attempts to resolve the issue by clearing out internet history, cookies and flushing of the DNS, none of these are correcting the issue.

If you're still seeing a disabled board, your DNS needs to be flushed - all the DNS servers around the world are up to date as far as I can tell from checking them, so the problem is with the ISP, router, OS, or browser. They're still using the old IP address for StarArmy.com - this should update on its own eventually but to fix it immediately, you can try going into the command prompt (on most types of MS Windows) and using the command ipconfig /flushdns - and then try to visit SARP on Internet Explorer (it uses windows' DNS cache). On Firefox there's a different way to clear the DNS cache (because it uses its own).

Like I've told a lot of people, for anyone using Chrome and Firefox, they store browsing data and index pages to reload them faster in the future for you. You have to go into your options, and wipe the browsing history and cookies, the cache specifically as well if your browser allows it. For most people your routers will check and update often enough that the DNS won't make a big difference, but the browsers index the old info to make life easier on you, thereby making it harder. Logic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back