• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Should we keep the Shinobi Active Cloaking Suit?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Should the Star Army keep the Shinobi is its inventory? I don't see a single character using it (by backlinks that is). Also the Star Army already has a stealth suit (the SAINT one). Typically characters do their away missions in power armor or exploration uniforms that have volumetric stealth systems and armor. Also it's made by Galactic Horizon, which is based in the Kingdom of Neshaten, which is kind of weird for a piece of Yamataian military equipment considering the Star Army's philosophy on isolating its logistics from being affected by what's happening in other nations. It has art, but I don't really see art of characters wearing it. I guess I'm worried about equipment bloat in the Star Army and I don't want to keep stuff no one is using.
  • Are there examples of this being used in RP?
  • Are these redundant because of power armor and exploration uniforms?
  • Should we keep this in the Star Army's equipment list?

Considering it uses xiulurium, I think it was actually designed by GH/some kind of collaboration between them and SARA since that is a restricted technology. KZ would be the one that actually makes it.

From the search I did, I can see it has been used three times (1 being my own):
Volumetrics seems to be the in-vogue means of stealth, so it is unfortunately redundant in my eyes.

I have no skin in the game, I know. But as a GM and former FM I made/make stuff for the sake of variety and options for players and future GMs even if such a thing already existed. The community right now is not at its most populous due to COVID and its aftermath so there aren't 50 yamatai plots running all at once but when things pick back up again you will find players and potential GMs disappointed that for something they want to do there may only be the one option.

Pretty much you lose nothing by having variety and it offers more to players and GMs by having options even if some things aren't really being used right now.

Don't really think it brings anything unique to the Star Army. It doesn't aesthetically match and looks like generic sci-fi tech, in-character it has the issue of being made by a foreign company, and other pre-existing tech serves the Star Army better. So I'm gonna say "no."

It would be nice to see a Type 45/46 stealth suit using modern in-character technologies, since the SOFS was made in YE 31. Maybe a SOFS update that re-uses its old art or incorporates it into a fresher design. The issue there is that SOFS are only really issued to Operatives so the project might need new art anyway, unless Yui/The Star Army wants its soldiers to stop sneaking around entirely except for the secret agent SAINT types.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back